NOOB looking at used Cherokee's... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 113074
NOOB looking at used Cherokee's...

So I'm a Mountain biker/freerider in the Everett, WA and currently looking at getting a used Jeep Cherokee. I'm 16, going on 17 next month and it's sorta a gift from my parents. We've (me and my dad) been looking at '89-'95 Cherokee's and I want an XJ, not a Grand Cherokee's, and around the 1-2grand price. However, I want to do a small lift with bigger tires and whatever else I'll need to give this sport I try and I'd like to get some price ideas and upgrade thoughts. Not to mention, I wont have another car...so I cant go so crazy my MPG dies horribly (15MPG is NOT good, but 16MPG I can live with).

A few friends of mine are hardcore wheelers with 7" lift and 37" tires (As hardcore as a 16-18 year old kid can get on there own money anyhow). And they've suggested a 3" lift, and 32" tires so I can still do a god amount of trails and drive on the road 60-80% of the time. But what else, and what about compatibility? Any company I should stay away from? Ect.

Please help me get going, all website links are welcomed as long as they are useful for me to gain knowledge.

P.S. I work at a bike shop right next to a 4 Wheel Parts place, if that makes a difference.
Muddy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 45255
Your budget is a little low if you want both a reliable daily driver and a trail rig. You'll bust your budget on the lift alone to do it right. You'll be able to find one, but it won't be easy.

Just did a lot of shopping and helped my son buy one a bit ago. Your budget will keep you on the low end of things, so you'll have to shop well. Don't jump on the first one you see - risk losing it if you have to, and make sure you look at as many as you can.

What you want is a mall crawler - seriously. Buy one that some joe put a good lift and tires on to impress his girlfriend. Unless someone does some serious work to the rig, it won't really affect the price you pay. On Craigslist a '95 Cherokee is a '95 Cherokee. If he put on a $800 lift it won't raise your price by $800 - you'll get it for free. Just make sure it isn't a bubba fab piece of crap. Same goes for tires. This doesn't always hold completely true, but pretty much.

Also, XJ = smart move.

For under $2k you'll also find some that have the stuff you want, but have been completely trashed. It'll be tempting, but there's a fine line between a daily driver / weekend trail rig and a full time project that you live underneath.

Been there, done that - bummed rides to work every day for a month... You get the idea. BTW - your friends are pretty much on. 31" tires fairly easy to fit with average lift, and don't hurt mileage much. 32" are tougher on mileage. Son's rig has the Bushwacker flares, so can't speak about fit from experience. 33" tires much tougher to fit on a budget, and you'll feel it at the gas pump and on the road.
maleko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 104713
I have an 89 that was bought for $600... and has had way too much money put into it keeping it running.

Look for an XJ that doesn't have oil on the valve cover or leaking from the rear main seal (between the engine and trans) and you'll generally avoid all the problems I had.

I have 31's on mine right now, just trimmed. Its not hardcore but I can get around the trails alright. This summer I'm going to get a 3" lift (probably Rubicon Express or Black Diamond, cheapest kits that aren't crap and have full spring packs). If you're going to wheel it and want it to look nice invest in some rock sliders and skids first, tow hooks for the front and a hitch in the back. And if you really want to get into offroading, learn to weld.

If you're looking at prices...
$800-900 3" lift (full spring packs, shocks, brake lines)
$500-700 31" tires

Get a job, or get more hours at your job and start saving!

Last edited by 600dollarXJ; 04-26-2008 at 08:57 AM.
600dollarXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 75018
Don't get one older then 1991 , as that is when the high output 4.0 with fuel injection started and look for one with trailer package as it will have a dana 44 rear axle in it , the best stock axle in the rear .
Old 04-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 7102
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrocrat View Post
Don't get one older then 1991 , as that is when the high output 4.0 with fuel injection started and look for one with trailer package as it will have a dana 44 rear axle in it , the best stock axle in the rear .
Actually a '91-'95 will have a Chrysler 8.25 and not a Dana 44.

I don't think you'll find much in the $1-2K price range that will be dependable for a Daily Driver if that's what you're looking for. The 1985-1986's will either have a carb'ed 2.5L or a 2.8L both are pretty lackluster. In 1987 the 2.5L went TBI and the 2.8L was replaced with the MPFI 4.0L Bendex (aka: Low-Output). In 1991, the 2.5L went MPFI and the 4.0L went High-Output. At the same time the Dana 44 was replaced with the Chrysler 27 spline 8.25" axle. it didn't get upgraded to 29 spline till 1997.

Honestly, I'd save up more and buy the latest model you can afford. It will have the least amount of issues that you'll have to deal with. Buying something that's old and under $2000, will mean, you'll probably need to budget another $2000 for anything that can and will go wrong with it.

If I was starting over and on a tight budget, I'd probably look at a Wagoneer or Grand Wagoneer. They can be had for pretty cheap while still being in relatively good shape.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 113074
Maybe I should throw out some more details, but thanks for all the advice guys...I wont go into specifics, but everyone added some useful stuff to keep in mind.

Ok first, we own 10 cars (2 of which are patriots, and 1 Grand Cherokee), my dad works on all of them...so something that needs work is no big deal.

Also, we've found a few XJ's a decent price (including a few with the tow package)...so I'm not worried to much. Where I live there's dozens of XJ's for sale within 5 miles.

As far as parts go, I'm just ball-parking right now. I don't NEED to be on a budget. My job pays alright, and I can make enough by the end of summer to buy a good lift and tires/rims. I don't have to get things right away. It sounds like 2G's for lift and tires is pretty regular though, so that's helpful.

I do have another question though, Bumpers and winches...think up in the Northwest I should get those first?

Also, what sort of mileage am I looking at for a 3" lift and 32" or 33" tires? Is that a good way to go for a do everything Jeep? I still want to be able to takle decent trails (like intermediate) and I'm OK with 14MPG if need be.

And lastly, anyone have recommendations on tires? My Avalanche has BFG All terrains, but I was thinking since it's always so muddy up here, maybe I'd want Mudd Terrains? (not set on BFG's, just like how they look/price)

P.S. My grandpa owned an auto shop, so when he died we got all sorts of equipment, including every weld type I'm aware of. (And I'm taking a weld class this summer that will get me a licence)

Last edited by Muddy Beast; 04-27-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Muddy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in