alloy vs. superior - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 105681
alloy vs. superior

yes, i searched. the 300 seconds kills me. where can i find some opinions/fact/information about superior vs. alloy usa for a rubicon dana 44. thanks
blysccr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 49468
Superiors seem to be stronger but are more expensive and can sometimes be a pain to find in stock or get replacements for. My experience has been limited to older half-ton truck frontends, so maybe the newer Rubicon axles will be easier to get Superior shafts for...

Most people seem to be generally satified with AlloyUSA shafts so I don't think you will go wrong with either one.

FWIW, I have a mixture of Yukon 4340 and AlloyUSA shafts in my new rear 60. Time will tell if they hold up.
jesster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 49468
One more thing... You can search pireate4x4 through google to not have to wait on the search timer. Or just buck up and buy a red star.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 105681
lol i should buy the star. but being about to go to college, anything i can spare, i will
blysccr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73093
uh... what is it like $20 for a red star? umm.... worth it

I have heard that Superior is a USA made product and Alloy USA is NOT, ironic but can anyone clarify this? (not that strength would be different, just a lil side fact)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Overbuilt 97 Wrangler | 40" Black Labels, 14" Fox Coilovers, Trailing Arm Suspension, Atlas 4.3, Warn Winch, fully caged and tested
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#BajaJeep @BajaJeep_mike
miguelitojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 86044
https://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446466
[/FONT]

My XJ makes wierd noises....

'92 XJ 4.0L, 4x4, 4dr Limited pretty much stock...
IslanderXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 56885
Go with alloy usa, the warrenty alone is worth it.

Last edited by chadjeep; 05-02-2008 at 07:09 AM.
chadjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 84132
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitojeep View Post
uh... what is it like $20 for a red star? umm.... worth it

I have heard that Superior is a USA made product and Alloy USA is NOT, ironic but can anyone clarify this? (not that strength would be different, just a lil side fact)
Alloy and Yukon are both made in India. This question has been asked a million times on this board. You really have to prioritize what you're looking for. Superior, Alloy, and Yukon are all great products. Yukon is considerably larger and sells many times as many shafts as the others, so consequently you tend to hear of more issues. The advantage to Yukon is they are ALWAYS in stock and their warranty is great. Superior has a fantastic reputation, but I've never run them because I hear horror stories of back orders on warranty issues. That doesn't work for me as I wheel typically 1 or 2 days a week, and I'm definately not willing to wait months for my replacement! Alloy seems to be in the middle as far as reputation and "in stock" issues. .02
Old 05-02-2008, 07:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 84132
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadjeep View Post
Go with alloy usa, the warrenty alone is worth it.
What do you think makes the Alloy warranty better than Yukon or Superior?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 56885
I spoke with a rep at alloy usa and I asked if the warrenty was as good as everyone says. He said do anything you want with the shafts besides weld them and they will replace them no questions asked. I asked him if I could have the shafts cryo treated and then run 49in iroks on them and he said no problem we'll just keep sending them.

I haven't heard to much (good or bad) about superiors warrenty and I wouldn't touch yukon shafts. Simply because the warrenty is only good for the first replacement, after that they will replace or refund at their discretion. And if I'm not mistaken Bobby Long tested Yukon shafts on his axle machine the yukons were about the same strength as stock axles.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 49468
Quote:
And if I'm not mistaken Bobby Long tested Yukon shafts on his axle machine the yukons were about the same strength as stock axles.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467075
Old 05-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 47730
i broke 2 yukons. 1 superior.superior sucked trying to get it warrantied.ended up talking to the owner of the company before it was handled.yukons were no questions asked...i know have a 60 and have not broke yet.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 108325
Quote:
I spoke with a rep at alloy usa and I asked if the warrenty was as good as everyone says. He said do anything you want with the shafts besides weld them and they will replace them no questions asked. I asked him if I could have the shafts cryo treated and then run 49in iroks on them and he said no problem we'll just keep sending them.

I haven't heard to much (good or bad) about superiors warrenty and I wouldn't touch yukon shafts. Simply because the warrenty is only good for the first replacement, after that they will replace or refund at their discretion. And if I'm not mistaken Bobby Long tested Yukon shafts on his axle machine the yukons were about the same strength as stock axles.
WOW... you just sold me on the Alloy USA, can't beat that warranty
SkiloXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 78458
ALLOY hands down. I was wheeling with my buddy the other day who broke a superior dana 44 shaft(30spl not a rubicon axle) that was less than a month old running only 35'' tires and he was not even on the throttle. And it was NOT the U-joint that went out the CTM was perfect the shaft just blew up. That was enough for me to never buy superior.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 91029
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper8650 View Post
ALLOY hands down. I was wheeling with my buddy the other day who broke a superior dana 44 shaft(30spl not a rubicon axle) that was less than a month old running only 35'' tires and he was not even on the throttle. And it was NOT the U-joint that went out the CTM was perfect the shaft just blew up. That was enough for me to never buy superior.
Yeah, i also saw something once and made my mind up assuming that isolated incident was totally representative of the whole situation....
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 56885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Yeah, i also saw something once and made my mind up assuming that isolated incident was totally representative of the whole situation....
Maybe he is jumping the gun a little but if the only experience you had with them was bad would they be your first choice?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in