Radial Pull on my 05 Rubi? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 130586
Radial Pull on my 05 Rubi?

Hey guys,
I have a 05 LJ rubi which i just recently upgraded to a LA kit from a short arm lift....at the same time i put on 36x14.5 tsl radials....the jeep is great but it pulls right...i had a shop check the alignment and they said it was straight they said its a radial pull...i know you can rotate the tires around to check( the jeep pulls right so if i switch the front two it SHOULD pull left), or can't i switch them to the back and it shouldn't pull at all?

But then once i have to rotate them in 3k wont it pull again? I can live with the pulling, its not BAD BAD, i just want to make sure that the tires wear evenly and last as long as they should (not long i know, but as long as they should)

Or is it something else
Thanks in advance

dave160 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 86508
switch those fronts side to side, if it pulls the other way its something in a tire

but don't forget to check and make sure the air pressure is the same in both of them, a low tire on one side will pull too
KW01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2009, 01:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 120010
If you upgraded to longer front brake lines don't forget to make sure they're bled properly...

If someone else installed the lift and tires they may not have done this correctly.

I've had two different lifts on my '04 Rubicon, with 4 different sets of tires. None of the combination's have pulled one way or the other, that weren't traced to air in the brake lines. Just my two cents...

Last edited by BlueJeepster; 06-12-2009 at 02:00 AM.
BlueJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 04:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 130586
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeepster View Post
If you upgraded to longer front brake lines don't forget to make sure they're bled properly...

If someone else installed the lift and tires they may not have done this correctly.

I've had two different lifts on my '04 Rubicon, with 4 different sets of tires. None of the combination's have pulled one way or the other, that weren't traced to air in the brake lines. Just my two cents...

Really?? I never knew that air in the brakes could cause a pull in the tires....why is that?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 101552
For lack of a technical explaination, uneven pull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[B][I][COLOR="Red"]Approved Vendors List:[/COLOR][/I][/B]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbdbloh7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 43534
It could be as simple as the road crown causing the higher lift and larger tire to drift to the right. When the road dips to the left, does it briefly pull left? What did you upgrade from?

Fyathyrio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 130586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyathyrio View Post
It could be as simple as the road crown causing the higher lift and larger tire to drift to the right. When the road dips to the left, does it briefly pull left? What did you upgrade from?

Thats what i thought, it does it on every road i drive on though, interstate back roads and freshly paved roads...i assume you mean my tires, i went from a 35x12.5 bfgoodrich A/T to my tsl radials now
Old 06-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 120010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave160 View Post
Really?? I never knew that air in the brakes could cause a pull in the tires....why is that?
Sorry man, I'm an idiot. For some reason I thought it was pulling under braking. Air in the lines won't do anything if it's pulling left or right with out the brakes.

Hope you figure it out.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
Those Swampers are an extremely high rolling resistance tire, and the mold shift in the clamshell molds varies a lot from tire to tire. It's not necessarily a "radial pull" but could just be due to an inconsistency in the mold or (as already stated) a difference in inflation pressure.

Rotating your tires around will help you identify if it's an issue with a tire or an issue with your steering (or worn parts such as control arm bushings, unit bearings, ball joints, etc.) You should also be able to see uneven tread wear within a few miles with such a soft and aggressive tread. Take a close look and compare the left and right front tires, see if the rubber is "scrubbing" more on one than the other. You might also see uneven "scrubbing" of the rubber from side-to-side across the tread of one or more tires, which could also help you diagnose your problem.
RockMolester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 130586
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMolester View Post
Those Swampers are an extremely high rolling resistance tire, and the mold shift in the clamshell molds varies a lot from tire to tire. It's not necessarily a "radial pull" but could just be due to an inconsistency in the mold or (as already stated) a difference in inflation pressure.

Rotating your tires around will help you identify if it's an issue with a tire or an issue with your steering (or worn parts such as control arm bushings, unit bearings, ball joints, etc.) You should also be able to see uneven tread wear within a few miles with such a soft and aggressive tread. Take a close look and compare the left and right front tires, see if the rubber is "scrubbing" more on one than the other. You might also see uneven "scrubbing" of the rubber from side-to-side across the tread of one or more tires, which could also help you diagnose your problem.

Alright i will look at it tonight and check the tire wear...they have about 500miles on them so it should show....

I was looking at my tires today and noticed that there starting to "crack" or almost a ripping look almost around the sidewall about 2 or 3 inches from the tread...is this normal? It doesn't look very safe..
Old 06-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 130586
Alright i checked tread depth and they all seam to be wearing evenly...i checked them with a quarter so its not perfect, but to my eye they all seamed to be even...but that cracking on the side wall of 2 of my tires is concerning to me...any advice?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 135054
Was it a 4x4 shop that did the alignment? A lot of the time 4x4 shops are the only ones that can align lifted vehicles. A lot regular car or tire shops try to align the lifted vehicles to stock specs and it does not work the same.

I few things that I see that make solid axles pull are the track bar not being adjusted correctly so the axle is off set a little and the control arms not being adjusted the same length or the cam bolts are off.

I hardly ever see tires make a solid axle pull right or left its mostly IFS, but its possible.

[B][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]
[/COLOR][/B]
[B]93 Jeep YJ (Project)
08 Jeep JKU (MallCrawler)[/B]
jrw7072009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 56539
i have the same issue i was told i needed adjustable upper ball joints to fix the problem. also that it would not effect tire wear and 20,000 mi later it hasnt. so i havent worried about it in fact it just seems normal now.
dpatron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 85204
Send a message via AIM to CtChevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave160 View Post
Alright i checked tread depth and they all seam to be wearing evenly...i checked them with a quarter so its not perfect, but to my eye they all seamed to be even...but that cracking on the side wall of 2 of my tires is concerning to me...any advice?
Did you buy the tires new and how long ago? sounds like its a defect in the tires and if they are starting to crack after 500 miles you have issues if they were brand new. call who ever you got them from and bitch like you have never bitched before and get 4 new tires. sounds like something mite have shifted in one of the tires and the cracking shouldnt be happening on new tires.
CtChevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 130586
He took the tires back and he's replacing them no charge...but the jeep still pulls to the right even with my old set of tires
Old 06-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 14509
Check the track bar, and make sure the lower links are set up correctly. I purchased a jeep with adjustable arms. Damned thing was hard as hell to keep in one lane when I bought it. I took it apart, called RE asking for advice.... wound up adjusting the controll arms and had a great rig!

I would measure the wheel base on both sides and check the original lift kit instructions to make sure it is set up correctly. It takes time, sucks you had to pay someone to do it and now you have to do it right.

Last edited by 95steel; 06-15-2009 at 01:12 PM.
95steel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 109710
Get another allignment.... this time time go to someone that can actually do allignments. The 1st shop you went to isn't going to admit that they're idiots and can't allign your vehicle.
Jeffb_79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 18320
A car can be in spec with an alignment and still pull. When we do alignments at the shop, we put an extra 0.5 degrees more caster on the passenger side. If all else is ok, your car will pull to the side with the least amount of caster.

Check your alingment sheet printout (they should have given you one) and see if the drivers side has more caster. If it does, that could be your problem.
elarsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in