Rear Coil Spring mounting location? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 81189
Rear Coil Spring mounting location?

I am putting coils in the back of my MJ truggy, with a 14 bolt....
Should I mount my coils UNDER the frame? Or OUTBOARD?

I'm thinking with the added leverage of a wider axle... the coil springs
will be too soft under the frame rails. I am using STOCK XJ coils in back.

I am building a 8" center stud for the rear upper coil mounts, similar to the front end, with a bumpstop in the center. The bottom of the coils will be trapped, should the TOP be trapped too?

I will be running 3 limiting straps to keep things in check.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 66317
I trapped both ends on mine (YJ w/ no straps) and mounted it under the frame. I am fixing to go in about an inch (I think it is a little tight in the rear) and sink the coil into the frame so I can run a stock XJ coil and lower it more. I also have 2" spacers on my full width 9" so I have ALOT of leverage. I am sure your XJ is heavier though so I dont know if this helps any
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 81189
It's an MJ with back half tube... so, I'm not sure the weight issue compared to your Jeep.

Ballistic Fab has these adjustable upper coil buckets, where you can fine tune the placement of the bucket up to 5" of up/down adjustment. Im getting these so I can adjust my ride height without having to redo anything
and adjust my stance exactly the way I want it.

I just can't decide whether to put them inside the stock MJ frame rail or
on the outside. I don't have my rear 14 bolt axle yet, I'm just trying to get ideas and plan. I wasn't sure about the leverage factor... I obviously want flex... but I don't want super floppy coils that are too soft and give me crazy body roll.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 121008
In the same boat. You have a tubed backhalf? So no wheel tubs or body? My problem is room outside the frame, it is flush with the wheel tub. Gotta make sure tire and wheel tub do not interfere. Could you mount them to the inside of the frame???
brug33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Send a message via AIM to GreatWhiteXJ
Slightly diffrent rig. Same idea.

TONS of the XJ guys go straight under the rails with stock XJ coils. Me as well. Even the aftermarket bolt up rear 4-links, like Clayton, go straight under. I dont think outboarding them will have any firm advantages however, I dont think it would cause any problems if you did it either.

As for mounting, do exactly as you've planned. Capture the bottom side only. If you capture the top, you will stretch out the coil and its life span will quickly diminish. Duplicating the front design is fine. 1 3/4" tube works perfect with a stock isolator. Make it however long you desire for your rig, stuff your choice of bump in there and call it done.

As for bumpstops, no idea what your plan is BUT....seriously, seriously look into 06' and new Chevy 1500 rear bump stops. I paid 15 a piece for mine from the dealer and I cant tell you how much I love them. Will some very minor mods, the stuff right into the tube and they are progressive bumps. They measure roughly 4 1/2" long. The really to work tits though.

I would like to note that an XJ spring may not be ideal. If you find yourself with no other options that a sway bar will likely be needed.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Send a message via AIM to GreatWhiteXJ
Id also like to note that outboarding them may not be an option at all. On the short side of my 14 bolt, after the coil mount, I have about 3" before the end of the tube/ begining of the spindle. My shock sits in that area, and its tight as hell at full stuff. Tire is about 1" from hitting the shock cylinder. Seeing how you have and MJ backhalfed, I can accruratly say what the diffrences would be.

Also, perhaps the rear rails are at diffrent heights, but a stock XJ coil usually nets around 8" of lift in the back of an XJ. I would check ride heights before you order a coil mount with 5" of adjustment.

Also, I have done an overwhelmingly vast amount of research on coils, rates, frequencies, etc.... so if you need a hand selecting a better spring let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in