possible dana 60 and 14bolt axles - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 127789
possible dana 60 and 14bolt axles

Currently I have a 87 cherokee on stock d30/35 with 3.55 gears and 32 maxxis bighorns, with a 3" RC lift . . . simple enough but this is my first jeep and i've had it for about 6 months now. Theres a guy in the 4wd club I'm in that has a dana 60 and a 14 bolt from a 1 ton dodge truck that he's trying to get rid of. He's asking $700 total for both axles. The question is, is this a good buy? Not knowing much in the way of suspension mods and what would be needed to fab mounts so I could use these axles I have a friend who says I should consider it since I will probably want to run bigger tires soon. Please don't bash me, i'm still pretty new to this.
robi615 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 84074
i thought a 14 bolt was a chevy axle
Old 06-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 133720
Depends on how extreme you want to go. Itís a good deal but if your not going to big its going to be way over kill and id run no less than 35s for clearance on those axels so youll need to lift you rig as well

Old 06-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Send a message via AIM to GreatWhiteXJ
Couple things... First the 14 Bolt is NOT a dodge axle. If what he has came out of a Dodge, it is NOT a 14 bolt. So get more info on that. And also research the 14 quickly...it has a very distinquishable shape and look. It would be very easy to tell if its a 14 or not.

Second, figure out what year the axles are. Some dodge 60's are very UN-desireable axles. They are 32 spline with vaccum disco. You dont want that turd. So figure out the year or get a BOM # and report back. Also have you considered that the 60 would be passenger drop??? Meaning you got some other drivetrain work to do if you swap this in....

And also, what are you future plans for said axles. If you think you can succesfully wheel them with your 32's, then your joking yourself. Im not gonna jump the gun, but let us know what you "would like" to do to your rig, in co-ordinance with the axle swaps.

All at the same time though...if in fact the 60 is worth a crap and it is indeed a 14 bolt...then 700 is a great deal and Id jump on it stat.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 116603
X2 right on
Jason@Bluetorch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 106845
Send a message via AIM to flatlander757
I've got a Chevy D60 and D70 which are relatively undesirable since the front is passenger drop but I'm making it work, but it is a LOT more work and requires some compromises to run w/ a 4.0 due to the trans bellhousing/starter in the way of the front driveshaft and being passenger drop requires a new transfercase.

If it is indeed a D60 and 14b or D70(more likely if it is from under a Dodge), then $700 is a screamin deal and you could at least get them, clean them up and resell to make money.

Don't bother with any tires under a 38 or 39.5 w/ those big axles though. Plan on $6000-9000 at the very LEAST to make whatever it is work and function after all tires, driveshafts, brakes, brake lines, steering components, links, joints, nuts, bolts, tubing adapters, flap discs, grinding discs, cutoff wheels, 1/4" steel, welding rods/wire, and welding helmet lense gaurds are bought and put to use.

My build thread is a pretty good indication of what happens when you're not entirely anticipating everything Lots of little "oh shit... didn't think abou that" issues.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 118546
[QUOTE=GreatWhiteXJ;9962383]Couple things... First the 14 Bolt is NOT a dodge axle. If what he has came out of a Dodge, it is NOT a 14 bolt. So get more info on that. And also research the 14 quickly...it has a very distinquishable shape and look. It would be very easy to tell if its a 14 or not.

AAM (dodge, chrysler) makes a 14bolt 11.5 and 10.5 ring gear both are full float axles , and share the same 12 bolt ring gear as the GM the only catch is no removable pinion support like the GM which is also a 10.5 ring gear. GM makes the same axle as the dodge with the 11.5 gear and doesn't have a removeable pinion support. sounds to me its a dodge axle. just my 0.002
james@bluetorchfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Send a message via AIM to GreatWhiteXJ
[[email protected];9962790]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteXJ View Post
Couple things... First the 14 Bolt is NOT a dodge axle. If what he has came out of a Dodge, it is NOT a 14 bolt. So get more info on that. And also research the 14 quickly...it has a very distinquishable shape and look. It would be very easy to tell if its a 14 or not.

AAM (dodge, chrysler) makes a 14bolt 11.5 and 10.5 ring gear both are full float axles , and share the same 12 bolt ring gear as the GM the only catch is no removable pinion support like the GM which is also a 10.5 ring gear. GM makes the same axle as the dodge with the 11.5 gear and doesn't have a removeable pinion support. sounds to me its a dodge axle. just my 0.002
Read ya loud and clear houston, I just usually refer to those axles as AAM 11.5 or AAM 10.5....due to the fact that theres not pinion support, I just dont think its right (personal prefrence really) to call em "14 Bolts".

There good axles...plenty strong, but no pinion support detours me bigtime.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in