grand cherokee questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 28189
grand cherokee questions

hello all

looking for a truck to cover a series of needs around the house and while i've always been a toyota guy, for budget and other reasons i'm looking into a grand cherokee WJ. anyhow i was hoping to get your thoughts on the jeep since i've never had one before

i'm looking to spend about $8K and would, ideally, find a solid 02-03ish V8. it's mostly going to be a daily driver but every now and then it will see some light off roading (nothing too crazy). the other main activity will be towing: i want it for towing a utility trailer around the property but also to haul stuff to the dump (nothing too difficult) and, more rarely, tow smaller vehicles (compacts mostly) that i bring in to repair.

i was primarily looking at 4runners with the 5vz-fe but for the price of a 98 toyota i can get an 02-03 V8 grand cherokee - anyway, i've read around on the web and reliability doesn't seem to bad on these but again i've never had one.

also, at some point i would like to swap in a 5 speed (not a big fan of autos), what are the possibilities on that front?

i'd appreciate comments (especially from jeep guys who know toyota or vice versa), thank you much
toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 119162
I have been driving wj's for years. I have had 2, both had 4.7 v8s and Quadradrive. I have towed my rig(approximately 6000 lbs on the trailer)thousands of miles, including tough mountain climbs and have been very pleased. The 5 speed automatic has adequate ratios to keep the engine pulling in the powerband, and the cooling system and brakes also seem to be up to the task.

Oh yeah, in case some of you think this is asking a bit much of the Grand, this is within the rated tow capacity, and my current one has 330,000+ miles with nothing but routine maintenance.

Buy one and enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in