steering question (popping noise while turning) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 100413
steering question (popping noise while turning)

My xj is lifted 4" and I have this popping noise when I turn the wheel to the left, Not the right???? Also, when I turn the wheel to the left to make a u-turn, it almost wants to hop on the front right tire??? subsequently, that tire is a lot more worn down than the others.... any suggestions???
sac36555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 44287
hmm...axle u-joint, or unit bearing? possibly tie rod end on the side.....can you tell which side the popping is coming from?
bgwyllys61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 79640
do u have a trac bar relocation bracket? mine used to pop when turning and the bracket was loose

Last edited by super swamper; 06-20-2009 at 11:14 PM.
super swamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3191
Cracks near the steering box? Loose trac Bar bracket.
Dusty Booger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 120870
Ok I have a very similar problem. Except mine doesnt seem to add any tire wear issues or binding issues. I have replaced both front wheel bearing as they were toast. I have also installed a HD tie rod and new front brakes. At first I thought it was the brake pads clicking because I forgot the pad springs but after I installed them the noise is still there. I have checked for play in U joint. Think I will check tightness of all suspension related bolts. Probably not a bad thing to do on a 20+ year old vehicle.
benmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Send a message via AIM to GreatWhiteXJ
I cant beleive this survived 2 days....

TO THE POSTER.... your thread does not belong here. Read the forum rules an guildines in the sticky post on the VERY top of this section.

To determine your problem, get a friend to come over...or your wife or girlfriend or anyone that can turn the steering wheel. Then climb your ass underneath and start looking while someone turns the wheels. You should be able to pin point the problem very easily.

Note: Anything that moves has the potential to make a noise. Look at Control arm ends (uppers and Lowers, both sides of the arms), check the trar arm (both ends), all steering ends, u-joints, bearings...check everything. Shouldnt be that difficult to find the problem. And a worn tire shouldnt be the culprit.

Post in Jeep NON-Hardcore for problems like this.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 100413
Just like you have the right to post your nonsense on my thread, I have the right to post whatever I want. If it was in the wrong place, it would have been moved, but because its a question about a jeep cherokee, its possible that the jeep cherokee forum might be the right place. Im sorry its not "Hardcore" enough for you, but get over yourself and try helping fellow wheelers (hardcore or not) rather than bashing them. I thought the whole point of this site was to help each other out in an effort to inform, and work together for better ideas, better rigs, and to fight against all the possible closures of our playgrounds....if you have anything helpful or informative I am all ears, otherwise your just wasting both of our times.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
jip

Member # 135643
Send a message via Yahoo to jip
i had the same problem it was the joint on the front driveshaft not the u joint but i forgot what the piece is called easy way to test remove front driveshaft make a sharp turn and see if it clicks
jip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac36555 View Post
Just like you have the right to post your nonsense on my thread, I have the right to post whatever I want. If it was in the wrong place, it would have been moved, but because its a question about a jeep cherokee, its possible that the jeep cherokee forum might be the right place. Im sorry its not "Hardcore" enough for you, but get over yourself and try helping fellow wheelers (hardcore or not) rather than bashing them. I thought the whole point of this site was to help each other out in an effort to inform, and work together for better ideas, better rigs, and to fight against all the possible closures of our playgrounds....if you have anything helpful or informative I am all ears, otherwise your just wasting both of our times.
Blah blah blah blah fuckin blah....read this you incompotant idiot.... https://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=582126

HINT: It's the sticky at the top of the XJ forum. Its there for a reason... How this had gotten by Ash is beyond me....but you still posted in the wrong place.

And I did advise you....your problem leaves us all with wide open answers. I could say tie-rod ends...someone else could say balljoints...someone could say shocks bolts loose. But none of us can direct you ANYWHERE until you climb your lazy ass under the rig and find out for yourself.

Last edited by GreatWhiteXJ; 06-22-2009 at 05:29 PM.
GreatWhiteXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 119162
Here's a novel idea. Let's leave the moderating to the moderator. Nobody wants to see the forum cluttered up with garbage by the opinions of a know it all.

GreatWhiteXJ, I don't doubt your knowledge or abilities, but many of us have never seen any evidence that you can do anything but talk hardcore. A few months back you were blasted for replies you posted in the badass cherokees section and a bunch of your posts were deleted. You vowed to be a kinder,gentler poster and actually made constructive, valuable posts for a short time. Why don't you try being helpful instead of critical? You may even find it easier.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 120003
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerlight View Post
Here's a novel idea. Let's leave the moderating to the moderator. Nobody wants to see the forum cluttered up with garbage by the opinions of a know it all.

GreatWhiteXJ, I don't doubt your knowledge or abilities, but many of us have never seen any evidence that you can do anything but talk hardcore. A few months back you were blasted for replies you posted in the badass cherokees section and a bunch of your posts were deleted. You vowed to be a kinder,gentler poster and actually made constructive, valuable posts for a short time. Why don't you try being helpful instead of critical? You may even find it easier.

x2!!

Oh by the way I'm still waiting to see this "Great White XJ" of yours. When can we expect the unveiling of this almighty Jeep? Besides the one picture someone else posted up with those dinky ass tires on it.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 103442

John, I'll unveal it if you wanna send me money for 3 40" LTB's, a Dana 300, all my steering, and the front locker. Unitl then, you'll just have to wait. I have other more important peronal things that require my attention and my income. However it is on 40 Iroks right now.

Miller...Yes Im a hard ass. I tried to play nice but the sheer stupidity and ignorance of those who refuse to follow rules and then fire back with assinine responses, lead me down the middle road. Im still and ass, that wont change, but if you've followed my posts then youd realize I have calmed it down quite a bit. For example: my first post in this thread. I wasnt mean, vulgur, or uninformative in any way. I simply stated that the thread doesnt belong here and then I suggested what I think the poster should do to determine the problem. When he fired back with an idiotic response...well there ya go.

The star will come soon (Next Tuesday Im hoping) and then pics and a writeup in due time. Until then........
Old 06-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 137641
Sac!! Thanks for this topic!!!

Hmmm I look up and it says :

Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee > steering question (popping noise while turning)

So..with that I have had the same problem with my front end!! Thanks for the positive advice!!

Flame on dipshit!
Spanaway Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 124844
anyone bother to check to see if the coil's in the pocket? bet ya 20 bucks thats it .

[QUOTE=TJVigilante;10694687]if 20 people in a row tell you that you're a fucking idiot, maybe you should head back to school.[/QUOTE]
Austin4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 100413
coils are in the pocket, steering is tightened, and all suspension and shock parts are wrenched down. I have a stock trackbar with no bracket. I hear a lot of noise coming from the trackbar so im going to get a new trackbar from either rubicon express or rough country. Also, I also heard while I was under my jeep a clicking noise when the wheels are turned while the jeep is creeping forward and backwards. any advise about this??? I dont really wheel much, so Im not worried about an axle shaft, but I was thinking wheel bearings???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in