Pirate 4x4 banner

Inboard or outboard springs?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  stevesc1 
#1 ·
doing 60" axles in a flatfender.Any thoughts on advantages or preferences
on inline springs or outboard perches?My first attempt to do a jeep beyond kind of stock/bolt-on. Thanks

#2 ·
There's probably no way for you to move the D60 perches in far enough because of the diff. Outboard, but only just as much as you have to.

#3 ·
Unless you want to narrow the axles then you will have to outboard the springs unless you want to link the suspension. Are you wanting to stick with full width, which is going to look really wide on a small flatfender? I think the flatfender perches in the front are probably 27.5 inches center to center, and the dana 60 is 31.5 to 32.5 depending on whether it is chevy or dodge.

You can have the long side narrowed 4 to 5 inches ( the difference between the 60 spring perch spacing and the stock spacing ) and then you don't have to outboard, but then you might need a narrower rear axle, like a cab and chassis 14 bolt or a 60 rear that has been narrowed. Narrowing a full float 60 and keeping it full float is a little trickier as alignment has to be maintained by using a bar and alignment pucks to do it right. A 60 rear can be narrowed by cutting off the spindles and switching to semi float setup. I have also seen some narrowed 60 rear housings for sale on Ebay.

#4 ·
Full width on a flatty will look stupid FYI. Look it my flatty in my build, that's only 57" WMS. My tires stick out a foot.

My vote, DO NOT OUTBOARD, narrow the axles, call it a day.

#6 ·
Oh, good call. I definitely assummed D60, but you're probably right.

#10 ·
If you already have the waggy axle then you might as well just outboard the springs. If you don't, then you might consider a wide track cherokee chief or j 10 axle which is about 65" wide and then you could narrow the long side 4" to give you the right width and not have to outboard.

All other things being equal, outboard springs give you more stability and less travel, whereas the narrower spring mounting will give you more travel and less stability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.