Yj stretch brackets - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 89064
Yj stretch brackets

So Im looking at stretching my yj using cherokee springs and I know BT makes a kit. But.... I wanna fab my own rear bumper and mounts for the springs. What tabs/parts did you use and where did you get them from? Yes I searched and found some info but limited. Thanks for the help or any advice
Old 07-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 96466
really nothing nothing at all. Page 2 stretching my YJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Making racesuits for racer that make you go faster.
JaysinDesignz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 89064
Yup I actually read that and got some tips. Im def on a learning curve with the leaf springs. I seen ruffstuff has tabs so i'll have to call them up and see what they have to say to use.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 192169
I'm looking at this too... Cheapest way I've seen to stretch wheelbase.

I also got a link to copperheadfab.com where the parts are $20 (minus bumper, but with summit bushings). Also enter "Pirate" in coupon code area for 8% off...

I'm probably going to end up making my own spring pack using the ones I've got and used xj's... I'm also considering moving the front (of the rear) shackle hangers back as well...
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 112838
Ok ill play. xj springs on a YJ are ease to do. Take 4"x3/16 flat stock shape it like the stock cross member, weld or bolt it on ( I would weld) get some shackel hangers from Dan at ruffstuff, move your tank, trim your finders, mount the shocks, new brake lines and a driveline and your done. its really just that easy. oh and you're going to want a traction bar of some kind with the XJ springs. good luck
dirtbikeboy54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 186901
I'm assuming it is going to be spring over?? What if you just relocated your stock springs back (bracket). I've been looking into doing this. You gain 6" with the XJ springs. That will give you 99 inch WB. I found some 1.5" YJ springs for spring over, I'm going to move my brackets back and go for 10" total.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 89064
yeah I am doing a spring over.. Its gonna be a nice gain for sure. I am finding out more and more info on it and ways people do it. I am trying to do a build with buying as little as possible. I see some guys use a bar to prevent axel wrap and some don't. Whats the pro's and con's in using one? As of now I plan to build one but just curious.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 192169
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepinYJ View Post
I'm assuming it is going to be spring over?? What if you just relocated your stock springs back (bracket). I've been looking into doing this. You gain 6" with the XJ springs. That will give you 99 inch WB. I found some 1.5" YJ springs for spring over, I'm going to move my brackets back and go for 10" total.
How are you going to deal with the fact that the frame arches up just rear of the front hanger?

I was thinking this would work too (and allow me to use the same springs I have now...) Blue Torch Fab offers the spring hangers (front of the rear set) so maybe it's possible to weld them part way up that arch.

Last edited by Cumminshunter; 07-07-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Cumminshunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 96466
no reason to relocate the YJ rear front mounts in an xj leaf stretch

if you do then you are moving the rear more the 5-6"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Making racesuits for racer that make you go faster.
JaysinDesignz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Rhoads View Post
yeah I am doing a spring over.. Its gonna be a nice gain for sure. I am finding out more and more info on it and ways people do it. I am trying to do a build with buying as little as possible. I see some guys use a bar to prevent axel wrap and some don't. Whats the pro's and con's in using one? As of now I plan to build one but just curious.
Pro's - your pinion will no longer point at the back seat wen you press the gas pedal down. Wheel hop diminishes significantly.

Con's - you need to make sure your axle housing is securely mounted to the tubes. With the anti-wrap bar being on only one side you run the risk of spinning the tubes in the housing. I fixed that on mine by welding the housing to the tubes as well as adding a truss over the housing to connect both sides together.

KF5EQF

apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 186901
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinDesignz View Post
no reason to relocate the YJ rear front mounts in an xj leaf stretch

if you do then you are moving the rear more the 5-6"
I was gona move the mount without using the XJ springs. The rear spring mount can easily be moved back 8", right before the arch. Looking at it, it looks like it is doable, but I haven't done it yet. Plus I know the Rubicon Express sells 1.5" YJ springs meant for springs overs, I don't want to mix and match springs, ya know!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 8867
Send a message via AIM to YJ4LIFE
i used modified rear cj7 spring hanger brackets. I was going to weld them to my rear crossmember but the stock one just looks too flimsy. I cut a window in the rear crossmember so I can get a wrench inside the frame to hold a washer and nut. There is already a welded nut inside the frame. I drilled an offset hole in the spring hanger to use that mounting point. I used 52" chevy springs that are not offset like XJ springs

Last edited by YJ4LIFE; 07-28-2011 at 11:13 AM.
YJ4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in