TJ tummytuck or highline - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3500
TJ tummytuck or highline

i just got rid of my RE 3.5" lift coils and am now running OME coils and shocks with my RE superflex arms. the ride quality improvement is awesome but im rubbing the tires in the fenderwells, im trying to decide weather to do a home brew highline, or a 1" b.l. and motor mount lift along with a tummy tuck. either one will give me enough room for the tires. the highline would keep the COG really low, but my skidplate is really hanging low now. has anyone raised the gas tank along with the 1" b.l. , it would be nice to have a little more tank clearance too. i hate body lifts, but im tempted to go that route. whaddya think
dangerous toy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 124275
Flat skid, highline, and fuel cell here. Clearance is a good thing. Don't forget about proper bump stops.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3500
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Flat skid, highline, and fuel cell here. Clearance is a good thing. Don't forget about proper bump stops.
im running about 3.5-4" of uptravel before the bumps, i dont need any more, or want any less, with a 1" b.l. i would have enough tire clearance, so i dont want to do that (b.l. and tuck) and the highline, i like the low riders and im lazy, so its gonna be one or the other

Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 124275
You answered your own question.....flat skid.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 174280
Use this transmission mount:

http://undercoverfab.com/brackets-an...unt-97-02.html

Combined with this skid:

http://undercoverfab.com/transfer-ca...lj-carbon.html

Those two together will let you run the tummy tuck skid without a body lift. I personally have their ultra high clearance skid (its been modified for long arms) with that transmission mount and a body lift. The one I linked to you is 1" deeper. Call them to be sure, but I remember the guy there told me you can run that skid with the lopro trans mount and have it all clear without a body lift.

Then highline the body and have the best of both worlds.

Note: I know those links are for different year TJ's. They were just the first I found. You get the idea though.

Last edited by Bill3753; 07-08-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Bill3753 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 84132
Both, highline is free. .02
Old 07-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyadoin View Post
Both, highline is free. .02
x2, my highline was free.

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fab Parts:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3500
airbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
what are you guys doing with the airbox to do the highline for free, i thought most guys ran some sort of aftermarket intake, or is there a nearly free junkyard setup i need to know about.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 174280
I ran my air intake into the cowl area. This also give you slightly better protection for water crossings.
Bill3753 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
I put on a cheap air filter from the local auto parts store. Get creative and you'll be fine.

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 03:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 116048
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
x3 I did both and am very happy i did.

Not sure what year you are running but the earlier models you can run the Ultra Flat or even Totally flat TT with just a lo-pro mount and very MINOR massaging to the trans tunnel with a few sockets and a jack. I also did a MML without a Bodylift to help with clearance and angles
yarmish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 193548
I did my highline today and nearly finished. Its not that hard just a bit time consuming. I am planning on a diy tummy tuck as well. A piece of sheet with 1" thick square tube mounted to the chassis is supposed to work fine without a body lift. Thinking maybe replacing the stock plastic tank with a nice high capacity metal one might be a good idea for better clearance and protection of my fuel.
I vote both DIY. Cheap and good.
Motas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 3500
both

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarmish View Post
x3 I did both and am very happy i did.

Not sure what year you are running but the earlier models you can run the Ultra Flat or even Totally flat TT with just a lo-pro mount and very MINOR massaging to the trans tunnel with a few sockets and a jack. I also did a MML without a Bodylift to help with clearance and angles
well you guys are probably right, might as well do both, if i can get away with the tt w/o a body lift that will be awesome, i was looking under the rig and it looks like theres alot of room between the top of the trans/bottom of the tub. my TJ is a 99. are most of you guys pushing the trans up with the stock motor mounts, or are you doing a slight motor mount lift with it to keep the rear dl angle lookin good?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 51571
I am running JKS arms, OME springs, shocks, 1.25 BL and 1" MML. I went with an Undercover Fab flat skid. I havent done a highline yet and if I do I am looking at TNT's highline. Yes I could save money by doing my own but I like the cleaness of some of the options out there and if I have the money I'll do it that way because I can.
Attached Images

UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 124275

Both on ~2" coils.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 116048
35's with 2.5" Springs,no bodylift and TNT Hi lines

Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 116048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous toy View Post
well you guys are probably right, might as well do both, if i can get away with the tt w/o a body lift that will be awesome, i was looking under the rig and it looks like theres alot of room between the top of the trans/bottom of the tub. my TJ is a 99. are most of you guys pushing the trans up with the stock motor mounts, or are you doing a slight motor mount lift with it to keep the rear dl angle lookin good?
I just did a 1" MML and just had a slight vibration on the trans tunnel which i massaged away. Mine is a 99 as well
Old 07-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 3500
nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTJ View Post
I am running JKS arms, OME springs, shocks, 1.25 BL and 1" MML. I went with an Undercover Fab flat skid. I havent done a highline yet and if I do I am looking at TNT's highline. Yes I could save money by doing my own but I like the cleaness of some of the options out there and if I have the money I'll do it that way because I can.
i know, i know, don't quote the pics, but i really like the look of this one, im running 35" mtr's with my ome springs and i like how yours turned out with the body lift and flat belly. highlining is awesome, but the only way im gonna do it is a home brew, i dont want to spend the money on tube fenders, and i like the tire coverage of my flares here in the NW, if your tires are hanging out your covered with mud and you can't see out your side windows. im running 2 optimas now and im not sure where i would stuff the 2nd one if i highlined, the drivers side tray is where my arb compressor lives, and i dont want a battery in the cab, as i am already low on space when camping with the wife and 2 dogs. thanks for all the input and pics guys! im still on the fence but i think i might go with the 1" bl for now and a highline if i ever upgrade axles and got to 37's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in