Irok Bias plys on DD - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 141472
Irok Bias plys on DD

Ok, so, I've been trying to decide on what tire to go with for my JK next. I just sold my 35" MT/R Kevlars and I loved them, but it's time to go bigger. I've got a set of Currie 60's on order and I'm contemplating 40's.

That being said, what should I expect if I attempt to DD my JK on Irok 40x13.5-17 Bias plys?

I know they'll flat spot when they sit a while, but they should smooth out after they're driven a little ways, right? What about highway driving? Any issues that I should know about before dropping the coin?

OR

Should I just go with 41.5x13.5-17 Pitbull Rocker Radials? I really want to do that, but I think my 3.8 will hate me if I do.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 103689
i wouldnt be concerned with the ride as much as the 5k miles your gonna get outta them on the road, especially iroks.

and they ride like shit, even after warming up. in winter, itll be a challenge just keeping it on the road.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 37478
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuffyj View Post
i wouldnt be concerned with the ride as much as the 5k miles your gonna get outta them on the road, especially iroks.

and they ride like shit, even after warming up. in winter, itll be a challenge just keeping it on the road.
x2. They will never smooth out. Get some radials and be done.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 141472
That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks, guys.

Sure wish I could get ahold of a set of Kevlar 40's and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRYJMATTHEW View Post
x2. They will never smooth out. Get some radials and be done.
Quote:

Does the same 5k apply to the radials?

Last edited by jeeperjkj; 07-29-2011 at 02:36 PM.
jeeperjkj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 37478
I dont have a durometer reading on either, but the radials appear to have a much harder compund than the bias ply. I still wouldnt plan on getting more than 15-20K out of the radial.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 141472
15-20k wouldn't be too bad. I only do about 10k/year and I'll be runnin' a 6 tire rotation since they're directionals so I might get 20-25k out of 6, yeah?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 37478
I think it could be done if you rotated them religiously and kept the air psi where it needs to be. Of course that all depends on your driving style.
I can kill a set of AT's with my DD in 20K miles.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 182406
your welcome.

https://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...1#post13181091
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
4D" MT/R's is my vote... My buddys 40" LTB suck so much ass you can't drive over 45mph in his TJ..
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
A friend of mine has 39 inch iroks bias on his truck and there 50 percent at 2000 miles. I'm in the same boat as I've got a set of mtrs ordered several monthes ago waiting for delivery. I'd like to hear what kind of life people are getting out of the pitbull radials.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 106845
Send a message via AIM to flatlander757
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep937 View Post
4D" MT/R's is my vote... My buddys 40" LTB suck so much ass you can't drive over 45mph in his TJ..
It's 50mph.... and it goes faster on LTBs than your Jeep does on jack stands

FWIW my next tire will be either a GT MTR/K or Pitbull Rockers... though I'm hoping it will become a trailer queen by the time my tires wear out.

Last edited by flatlander757; 07-29-2011 at 07:10 PM.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 141472
Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRYJMATTHEW View Post
I think it could be done if you rotated them religiously and kept the air psi where it needs to be. Of course that all depends on your driving style.
I can kill a set of AT's with my DD in 20K miles.
Point taken. I'm a conservative in every sense of the word now that I'm aging a bit. Speed was cool when I was younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep937 View Post
I would kill for a set of 40" MT/R's. Ok, not a person, but I'd definitely kill something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
A friend of mine has 39 inch iroks bias on his truck and there 50 percent at 2000 miles. I'm in the same boat as I've got a set of mtrs ordered several monthes ago waiting for delivery. I'd like to hear what kind of life people are getting out of the pitbull radials.
Again, MT/R Kevlars would be a perfect scenario, but I can't wait much longer. I'll be back from Iraq at the end of August and I'm planning on doing the next phase of the build (because it's NEVER done) around the weekend after Labor Day or thereabouts. Gotta shit or get off the pot at this point.

I'm seriously considering the 41.5" Rocker Radial, but I'm afraid my 3.8L will revolt against me so I'm thinking I should wait until I upgrade to the 3.9L before running that big of a tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post

FWIW my next tire will be either a GT MTR/K or Pitbull Rockers... though I'm hoping it will become a trailer queen by the time my tires wear out.
Good luck on the Kevlars. I've been wanting a set of them for over a year.

Last edited by jeeperjkj; 07-30-2011 at 02:04 AM.
jeeperjkj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 72257
42" SX's ftmfw
Old 07-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 29332
I had 39.5 Irok's on my rig after I built it and ran them for about 8-10 months. It nearly killed the tires - in a year they would have looked like racing slicks. I had all kinds of mild death wobble and the flat spots NEVER went away.

I bought a set of 40" MTR's and it's like a whole new Jeep. I LOVE these tires on the street. They balance nicely, they're quite and they have worn beautifully - I've been driving them daily for almost 5 months.

I live in Houston and my daily commute is just shy of 40 miles round trip. I'm on the interstate everyday and these tires will cruze at 80 MPH with ease.

84 CJ "Tripod" One ton 60/14b, 5.0 HO, 331:1 crawl, 39.5 Iroks...just the basics
97 TJ - 35's, 4:1, HP D30/8.8 and too much lift - the wife's daily driver
02 TJ - Under the knife-gettin' 60/14, w/40's
02 F350 - The grocery-getter
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
Quote:

Loc D, you think my jeep will go over 50mph with a 25 inch front stretch and 700 inch tires
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 103689
Ok I have Kevlar mtr 35s on my rig. Yes, their an amazing tire. Over the wknd I rode in a tj on rockers 36s. Then I see this thread with ppl saying they'd take either for a rig that sees decent amount of street. I can assure u the rockers ain't even close to mtr's in ride quality on pavement. No comparison whatsoever. Goodyear clearly did their homework. BTW his rockers are dam near new. My mtr's have bout 500 street miles n over a yr of trail beatings.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:

I don't know about winter driving, but the rest is true. You'll wear them out real fast and they ride/handle like shit on the street.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 106845
Send a message via AIM to flatlander757
Quote:
Ok I have Kevlar mtr 35s on my rig. Yes, their an amazing tire. Over the wknd I rode in a tj on rockers 36s. Then I see this thread with ppl saying they'd take either for a rig that sees decent amount of street. I can assure u the rockers ain't even close to mtr's in ride quality on pavement. No comparison whatsoever. Goodyear clearly did their homework. BTW his rockers are dam near new. My mtr's have bout 500 street miles n over a yr of trail beatings.
I wasn't very detailed at my last response... I want to have a house and a trailer(not a trailer as my house) some time in the near future... if I am still driving my Jeep on the road then I'll go for MT/Rs... but if I can trailer it then I'll get some bias ply Rockers.

I haven't seen too much feedback on them... but the Radial Rockers are supposed to be pretty damn good on the street. I'd consider the 41.5s myself.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 142386
I'll chime in

I have 39" IROKs (bias) on my cj7 100" wb and it's a dd. I don't drive far at all to work (~3 miles). The jeep is driven everywhere including some 6 hour drives to MT. No, they do not last long on pavement.

The only way to get a good balance on the tires is with bb's. I've tried doing it with weights and they needed too much weight. However they are not far enough out of balance to cause problems.

Flat spotting has only been a problem for me in the winter. (i've driven them to work at -15*) Even then they still round out after warming up.

I agree with what has been posted. Don't get Iroks for a dd.

As for the Rocker radials. I have experience with them and love them. The rubber is harder then the bias Rockers (that's good for a dd). The radials as you would expect are more square than the bias tires (especially compared to the 39's at 16" wide). They have a nice hum to them going down the road but it isn't obnoxious.

The radial rockers seem to run tall compared to other pitbull tires. the 37" radials are extremely close to the height of the 39" bias tires.

I have run both the bias and the radial rockers and prefer the radials on a dd. The tires take a balance fairly well and last longer.

When my Iroks wear out I want to get the 41" radials as long as they are close to the same size.

*i haven't owned anything other than Interco tires in the last 10 years so my idea of a smooth ride might be a little off...
Old 08-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 141472
Quote:
I wasn't very detailed at my last response... I want to have a house and a trailer(not a trailer as my house) some time in the near future... if I am still driving my Jeep on the road then I'll go for MT/Rs... but if I can trailer it then I'll get some bias ply Rockers.

I haven't seen too much feedback on them... but the Radial Rockers are supposed to be pretty damn good on the street. I'd consider the 41.5s myself.
I'm leaning that way, but I'm kinda wondering if my 3.8L is gonna revolt when I put them on.

Quote:
I loved my MT/R Kevlars. I just wish Goodyear would make them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I had 39.5 Irok's on my rig after I built it and ran them for about 8-10 months. It nearly killed the tires - in a year they would have looked like racing slicks. I had all kinds of mild death wobble and the flat spots NEVER went away.

I bought a set of 40" MTR's and it's like a whole new Jeep. I LOVE these tires on the street. They balance nicely, they're quite and they have worn beautifully - I've been driving them daily for almost 5 months.

I live in Houston and my daily commute is just shy of 40 miles round trip. I'm on the interstate everyday and these tires will cruze at 80 MPH with ease.
See above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJim7 View Post
42" SX's ftmfw
Just a little wider than I want to go. I'm pushin' it to even consider a 41-42" tire... go 15" wide and I'm gonna open up another can of worms.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 77789
I don't know why you can't get 40" MTRs, but I've DD my jeep with bias ply iroks for 3 yrs, I got 20K out of my first set. I can drive my jeep fine at 70 mph. I'am up in alaska now and drove here from chicago. I did a wheeling trip to colorado a few years ago. Its the only vehicle I own, and I put about 15,000 miles on it per year. The only thing is that there pretty loud, but i'am sure you expect that. btw they don't flat spot as bad as you think they might.
xxxjeep jake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 21961
What about BF Goodrich KM2's?
glass cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 68995
I like my KM2s...but I'd go with either the PBR Radials or MTR/K. That's what I'm considering next...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in