Looking at CJ5 project - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 166340
Looking at CJ5 project

My buddy told me he has a cj5 no motor, tranny on stock axles. Its set up for a sbc. Its sitting on bald 35s. He said i could have it for $350. Im thinking about making a cheap trail rig out of it. I have a sbc 350 already. Im thinking i can put this motor in it, a th350 tranny and unsure on transfercase. You guys think i can get this thing up and running under 3k? I can do all the work myself.
Elite13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 115085
Send a message via AIM to PA-XJ2
you should beable to aslong as you can do all the fab work yourself. asfor a T case ive always liked the Dana300 but i dont know if it can be mounted to that trans.

PA-XJ2
Old 07-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 131092
There are a lot of variables to consider; how much you want to do with it, where you plan to get the parts, how much work can you do yourself?

You already have the engine; a trans and tcase shouldnt be too hard to find for a fair price. Do you plan on keeping the stock axles, upgrading, or swapping? You said the tires are bald, you plan on replacing them? How is everything else (i.e. body, frame, brakes, steering, etc.)?

Every build is different, come up with a clear vision of what you want in the end, then figure out what parts you need to get there, and come up with a total cost. Then double that cost to get a realistic number.
roosecj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 110248
autos and Cj5's aren't friends. The rear driveshaft in a stock 5 is short and it gets really short with an auto.
djljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 161756
Quote:
Originally Posted by djljeep View Post
autos and Cj5's aren't friends. The rear driveshaft in a stock 5 is short and it gets really short with an auto.
^this is important. With my manual I had a 12" rear driveshaft. With an auto it would be even shorter.

You could get that rig running for that money if you keep the stock axles, have the motor, and get a manual trans and transfercase cheap. If you get new tires, you will have to do all the fab work yourself to try to meet your budget.

Last edited by TSwiss; 07-30-2011 at 06:58 AM.
TSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 166340
I want to stretch the front and rear end to get more wheelbase. What are the shorter automatic trannys? or how hard is a manual tranny to set up
Elite13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 161756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite13 View Post
I want to stretch the front and rear end to get more wheelbase. What are the shorter automatic trannys? or how hard is a manual tranny to set up
The stock manual tranmission for my year was the T-5 or the T176. Behind a V8 the T176 is the one I would use, matched to a D300 transfercase.

Check out www.novak-adapt.com. They have a really good information section. Check out the year of jeep you have on there, and it will show the automatic tranmissions offered stock, which will be shorter to match the wheelbase.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in