Dana 18 outputshaft - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 67890
Dana 18 outputshaft

I really like this little transfercase, however some say outputshaft is a nail in the coffin for strength issues. I've witnessed a 3a with a very healthy fuel injected 327 turning 6500 rpm, of course traction was broken and the load was lessened. Is the deep freezing (cryogenic) of the shaft a worth while effort or a waste of money and time? My jeep, 55 tub,72 frame, 350 with a T18 tranny, 77waggy axles......and yes a 18 transfercase, that has always been there, the jeep is going from 33's to a 36-37" tire. I realize the load will be hell, but the rear driveline angle will be much better, even stretched. I like old stuff, but it always has to be done right.
GreenJeep55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 80328
From my experience the main thing that breaks the rear output is axle wrap/ u-joints binding up. Controlling the wrap will go a long way in making the rear output survive.

I would recommend switching to a M20 case and the bigger intermediate shaft. Cryogenic treating the out could not hurt either.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9991
Run it till you break it, and then switch to a D20, so only the front axle is applying torque on the main case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MrWillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5326
I would have to agree that a binding u-joint is probably the best way to trash a rear D18 output.

I like the D18 t-case, but it does have its limitations. Cryo treating the rear shaft is probably a good idea.

Its nice you can still buy a new one! Keeping a spare around in the long distance trail bag could be a smart move.

I would love to see someone make a stronger replacement out of some 300M or something. The rear spline count would probably be altered to use something more modern. I don't know if a 32 spline output would work without making a new tail housing and ditching the speedo....but I think something could be figured out. Even the stock coarse 10-spline shaft in 300M that was properly heat treated would be an AMAZING upgrade in strength. If I ever get access to a rotary table that will probably make my list.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 67890
If the Advance Adapters would have followed through with the Atlas 18 unit, I would have purchased one the moment it was released. Talked to them about a year ago, they made a proto type then the project was shelved...oh well. It would have been nice to have a 4 to 1 ratio in a stout and compact new version of the 18.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Anyone have a picture of that prototype?

You can buy 'new' D18 transfer cases complete now....they are not even THAT expensive. I think under $800.

The D18 isn't a bad case at all, but it is a rather old design. I think with a few upgrades like better output shafts, it would be just fine for most people uses.

I always wondered if it would be possible to make a D300 into some kind of D18 like t-case. Looking at the front output bearing retainer on the front output side of the transfer case...its looks REALLY similar to a D18 rear output bolt pattern.

I would also love to see someone do something like a samurai gearset in a new billet t-case that bolted in place of a D18. I think that would be GREAT for everything except a V8 flat fender. The sami t-case can go down to like 6.5 or even 8:1 low range. The non-1:1 high range could make bigger tires on low power jeeps possible since you can only get down to 5.38 gears on most stock jeep axles.

Just a few thoughts. I'm will probably find a few limitations in my t-case once I get it back on the trail....
Old 12-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9991
I'd rather use NOS stuff that's still available than use this:
http://www.reiderracing.com/product_...oducts_id=5985
Doesn't look made in America to me, but maybe i'm wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MrWillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 67890
Only one picture of the Atlas 18 that I know of, it was in some publication. I"ll try to dig it up if I still have the magazine. I believe it was in a "what is new this year" type of column.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in