From Ranch to Rocks! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 211407
From Ranch to Rocks!

So here is a little background to how I got here....

It has been 3 years since I started my Jeep build/ re build/ now ongoing changes. I have a 46' CJ2A with tons(4" narrowed), 38.5 meats, Ram assist, hydro boost, 350/SM465/D300(twin stick), etc. I fix/modified everything on it except for the motor/ hood/ and front fenders(they are untouched). And to just think this all started with wanting to upgrade the front brakes to disc........It was quite the learning experience of what to do and what never to do again! My build partner was my father Dan and he has been wheeling with me as my co-driver almost every trip. He is one of the reasons I am involved in this sport/ hobby as we used to take his Jeep (M38A1 w/ a Ford 289) out when I was much younger. From around town to Hill climbs, mud runs and through the So Cal dunes with paddle tires. I grew through back seat riding to taking it out myself, and was luckly enough to even drive it to High school on occasion. It was sold around 14 years ago and has been missed.

Up until a couple of years ago my Father has been Jeep-less. He purchased a barn/ shop kept, parade driven- 1946 CJ3A drab olive green with an white Army star on the hood. It had belonged to a local town Major and he used it for all their parades he attended. After his passing his wife kept it in the shop just as he had left it. It took cleaning the fuel line out and a fresh battery to get it in running condition, amazing little motors.

Now with starting to collect Willys and the year 1946 Willys a neigbor of mine stopped by and said he knew of an old rusted out but complete one for sell by his property an hour away. A 1946 CJ2A at $250 dollars Dan purchased it right then and there. A week later my neigbor was nice enough to deliver it to my door step (backyard). It has sat around for about a year not knowing what we wanted to do with it.

Now for the new project/ build......
Attached Images

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA
Office: 619 373-4066
Cell: 619 887-2948

Follow us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on instagram HMWCOMPANY

Visit us @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Heimaster80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 211407
Decision has been made to build a Jeep for the rocks but mild enough to be used on the street for Sunday drives and trial to trial if desired.

Build plan

1) learn from all previous mistakes
2) keep it light, mine weight 4,200lbs yes she is alittle heavy but she has big bones, thats all
3) 13K build budget
4) Try to do as much as possible ourselfs
5) Build complete 6ish months from now(my wife is prego, due in Nov) Jeep runs starting Oct.

Wanting to keep it looking as OE as possible with gnarly running gear, and will be going with a military look, drab olive green, no chrome
-OE Frame extended
-Little to no body stretch
-Fuel injected V6
-Stock trans and transfer case -Love the 4 shifter!
-95'' WB
-44 axles
-36" IROKs
-National Springs
-Comfy seats
-full cages
-ADD all other items missing

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 211407
Day 1

Here are some Pics of the day 1 teardown
Attached Images

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @

Old 05-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 98895
Send a message via AIM to dezrik Send a message via MSN to dezrik Send a message via Yahoo to dezrik
Sorry to go off topic but Whats your plans for the hard top?
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 211407
Day 1 continued Pics....

That day a guy stopped by that Dan had not seen since High school and he was also re-building a Willys and was looking for some parts.

He bought the cab/ doors, back seat frame, steering colume which has now paid for the cost of the Jeep!
Attached Images

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @
Old 05-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 98895
Send a message via AIM to dezrik Send a message via MSN to dezrik Send a message via Yahoo to dezrik
Should of waited until the 2nd day tear down lol.
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9991
I see a twelve step program in your future? Does your wife have any sisters?

Just kiddin, nice score, and really nice herd. I'll be watching this build

MrWillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4962
another one saved--good on you guys--keep us posted as you go....chris

--my '48 build:

'56 truck:

csutton7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 211407
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I see a twelve step program in your future? Does your wife have any sisters?

Just kiddin, nice score, and really nice herd. I'll be watching this build
Why yes she does an she's very lonely......

Thanks will be posting up more this weekend!

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 211407
Day 2

OK so I am going to try and catch up with the build...

SO Dan was determined to get the motor running, our best guess the motor has not ran in 10-15 years or longer.

After a few days of frustration/ new fuel pump/ line and a borrowed tank/ and a new distributor IT RUNS, LIKE A CHAMP TOO! Finally we can get this thing down to the frame. I will try and get some links to you tube of the motor running its the James Bond Willys smoke screen Machine.

Body is off and frame is on the ground ready to go out to the sand blaster. Talk about 60 years of rust, dirt, and.......lots of other stuff, holy shit the tub and frame were full of it.

Motor was sold to a wheeling buddy that has been looking for a good replacment motor for HIS 46' Willys.
Attached Images

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @
Old 05-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 211407
Thumbs up Cool Tool

Found this awesome setup great for crawling, its a slip/seismic joint. So when the frame twists and the motor moves seperate from the frame and exhaust hangers the floating 1.75" tube over the 1'' moves freely!
Attached Images

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @

Last edited by Heimaster80; 05-09-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 211407
What? no one liked it........

Oh well I thought it was funny

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @
Old 05-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 211407
So the frame has kick my ass, plating and welding and cutting and welding. Damn I wish I just built a new one but I keep telling myself it's still an old Willys because it has the OG frame and tub. Well the frame has been cut front and rear with new 2x3" tubing, the middle is all plated now and it is 34 3/4" outside to outside width(matching the front axle perches) Why oh why didn't I build a new one........

Turns out the drivers side was damaged, by and the frame had to be taken down and straighten, but my Dad has a hook up so the frame went out and came back within a couple days all fixed up. I am glad that's over. Turned out good.

Had some front spring hangers cut out and got those all welded up and ground down. They turned out great!

Ordered up front National springs should be here in the next couple of weeks. Went with rear XJ spring lengths for the front SUA. Should work fairly well, long springs and if we are out running and have any issues it's a common spring. Only issue I have ran into is the front is a little longer than I would like, but the payoff for the length of the spring should be worth it.

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @
Old 05-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 211407
Day 3-4

Pics of the frame welded up, I added 1 1/2" tube inserts in the frame for support. frame is still nice and light.
Attached Images

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @
Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 211407
NEW Motor

Went to the local junk yard (pick a part) down south and pulled a 2000 Chevy blazer 4.3. Turns out the motor had a blown head gasket and will need to be re-built. Still a good price at 400 dollars for a complete motor/ wiring/ computer and all motor accessories.

Re-build only took a week had to be bored out .030 over due to the water that had sat in the cylinders. Not a bad price for re-build kits for these thaings. Bearing/ rods/ gasket kits for $275. Hard to match.

Third pic shows why the other are up side down
Attached Images

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @
Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 161770
where are you located? that last pic leads me to believe San Diego..... the Blue one looks great!

climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 211407
Why yes San Diego Cali, El Cajun~ to be correct.

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @
Old 05-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 211407
Trans and tranfer case

Finally the adaptor came in and we got to pick up the Trans T90/Transfer case D18 from Border Parts. We took it down to them for an inspection and ended up just having them go through it. Came back all painted up with the OE tags/ nameplates. Also had them through on a Warn overdrive I had laying around the garage. Looks brand new.

Advanced Adaptors took five weeks due to they wait until they have 10!!!! orders back ordered before they machine the adaptor. I wonder how long the first guy had to wait for his?

Border parts had Wagoneer D44's P side offset front and rear, this is working out sweet. John at Border is very helpful and a great guy. He has everything you could need for a Willys on the shelf and its OE.

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @
Old 05-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 161770
John is a great guy, I had them do my ARB and gears. get all my parts there. helps that he's right down the street.

not sure how he finds anything in that pile of parts they have

climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 211407
Motor fix

OK so the motor came back and the adaptor came in a couple days later so we were very excited to get them together and in the Willys. Not so easy, the trans shaft is larger then the bearing set in the rear crank.

So we hydraulic it out, took some work but got it out. Pretty cool trick. Used a grease gun and a brass dowl, we ground down to fit(the first one we ground down to far it has to be a perfect fit to work)

Fill the inside (back) of the bearing with grease from a grease gun and use a shaft to knock out the bearing, add more grease as needed(as the bearing comes forward) and it will pop out.
Attached Images

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @

Last edited by Heimaster80; 05-13-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 211407
Yeah he know all the parts by part number and where they are at. Either his shop or one of the yards he has, I dont know how he does it. I forget what in my garage!

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @
Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Good progress! Why didn't you build a new frame again?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 103746
save that camera for wheelin'. when your upside down, it won't look like it! good work so far

Here :
superdooty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 211407
Day 5

Setting up the tub/ grill/ hood to mock the motor&trans inplace. Looking to strech the tub at the door 4-6" not sure yet, any suggestions? I dont want it to look streched or modified so that why Im trying to stay around 4''.

I could see a future RAT ROD build, that would be sweet! Old Willys Rat Rod Oh Yeah! Muscle Cars ait got noth'n on a Willys.
Attached Images

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @
Old 05-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 211407
Day 6 Friday/Saturday

Motor Mounts are installed(used AutoFab mounts/bushings for Chevy 350) mounted up perfect. AutoFab is a great source for mounts/ bushing/ tabs etc.

I used 3/16" plate on the frame over the 1/8" used for boxing in the frame. 2x3" piece just where the tubing will tie in. The tube that runs out to the motor mount bushing is 1 1/2 DOM .120wall. Then I ran a tube from one side to the other to help with movement and also a spot to bring the oil pan skid plate to.

Trans/transfer case mount is two 1" .120 DOM with 3/16" flat plate mounted in the middle of each tube. Getting all the angles right and the right height to mount the bushings was not easy. I need to pick up some 4 or 6' wire/rod for mock up like the muffler shops use. Anyone know what that stuffs called or were to get it?

LOVE MY Swag Offroad press brake HD bends the hell out of that 3/16" and 3/8" metal like nothing! Damn things are easy when you have the right tools!
Attached Images

Heimaster Metal Works
El Cajon, CA

Follow us on

Visit us @

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in