M38A1 Build-6.0L, 4-speed, and Patina - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Another major step done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADChevy4x4 View Post
That looking impressive. Not much Jeep left
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1946CJ2 View Post
Looking good!
Thanks guys. Had a productive day today. Had a couple of friends over tonight to help out, so we got the body back on and a couple of little things buttoned up.

I realize this thread isn't chock full of tech, but I just use what I've learned here and from my dad to build my vehicles. I know and like simple techniques that are low tech and kind of farm boy.

Pics in a few minutes.
craigellis77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Body is back on.
Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1383455964.782274.jpg
Views: 2848
Size:  75.8 KB

I decided to mount the fuel cell toward the front to give easy access to my tools and cooler in the back.
Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1383456259.023618.jpg
Views: 2142
Size:  64.4 KB

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 120509
Craig, are you driving this yet?
dan99tj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 80328
Any updates?
Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Took it out messing around today with my wife:

M38A1 Playing Around - YouTube

Last edited by craigellis77; 03-06-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 326138
did i miss the pics for the t case mount and crossmember? i see where there is tube running across but missed the details on it. and what are the frame dimensions? i need to start getting ideas on paper before i collect materials and a new welder.
tb37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 31763
The last couple of months I quit taking pics as I was working on it. I will get under it and take some pics soon and continue updating with a few long posts to show how it got finished.

I built my frame using the dimensions from the JP Magazine Project Ground Up. In part I, there's a nice sheet with all the dimensions laid out.

Tomorrow is a big day: it's going 'wheeling for the first time!!!

I hope my friends will take some video and pics while we're riding, so I can keep adding to the thread. I can't wait.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #158 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141981
Send a message via ICQ to 46WILYZ
What exhaust did you use? It sounds way quieter than my 4.3, and I would like for mine to be quieter. I have small dual turbo mufflers currently, and I can extend the pipe another 2 feet to the rear. Your build looks great!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:05 AM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 326138
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb37 View Post
did i miss the pics for the t case mount and crossmember? i see where there is tube running across but missed the details on it. and what are the frame dimensions? i need to start getting ideas on paper before i collect materials and a new welder.
so I see. I have that one in hand already. was just curious what you did. def get some more pics up, the tcase cross member design is where imI'm stumbling. go tube? got rectangle, go full skid...
Old 03-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #160 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb37 View Post
so I see. I have that one in hand already. was just curious what you did. def get some more pics up, the tcase cross member design is where imI'm stumbling. go tube? got rectangle, go full skid...
The only dimension I changed was the front length. IIRC I extended the front 4 or 6 inches to stretch it out. The final wheelbase is around 94".

Tube and then skidplate under that. I wasn't able to tuck everything as high as possible to get a skid level with the bottom of the frame because the Novak SM420-D300 adapter is so short you can't clock it high enough. The t-case shifter tower would hit the transmission before the bottom of the case was level with the bottom of the transmission.

I like having the skid and crossmember separate for all my builds just for easier maintenance.

The 4.3 Vortec is also fairly tall because the throttle body still mounts on top of the intake. A 5.3 or 6.0 where the TB intake is pointing toward the radiator would allow for the engine to be moved up a couple of inches higher to get the belly completely flat and level with the frame.

Last edited by craigellis77; 03-07-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Quote:
What exhaust did you use? It sounds way quieter than my 4.3, and I would like for mine to be quieter. I have small dual turbo mufflers currently, and I can extend the pipe another 2 feet to the rear. Your build looks great!
I had an extra series 40 flowmaster that I put on, and its loudness doesn't come through in the video. For simplicity's sake, I turned the exhaust down in front of the rear axle, so it booms inside the tub. I think I will redo that so the exhaust exits all the way out back, but I was in a hurry to get it done.

I wanted to put the stock 4.3 muffler in there, but there was no way for it to easily fit under the tub or between the frame rails turned sideways. I would like to fit the longest muffler under there between the frame rails like a JK.

My goal was to have a reallllly quiet running engine. I really don't like loud exhaust.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 220897
On my CJ5 with the 4.3 I have a single 50 series muffler tucked up tight sideways between my frame and track bar flowing out a 2-1/2" exhaust to the driver side rear corner. Kinda nice tone and very little exhaust gas smell gets in. In my flat fender the exit is in front of the rear tires and draws back inside really bad. I agree, I don't like loud obnoxious vehicles either, my flat fender is too loud
Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 326138
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigellis77 View Post
The only dimension I changed was the front length. IIRC I extended the front 4 or 6 inches to stretch it out. The final wheelbase is around 94".

Tube and then skidplate under that. I wasn't able to tuck everything as high as possible to get a skid level with the bottom of the frame because the Novak SM420-D300 adapter is so short you can't clock it high enough. The t-case shifter tower would hit the transmission before the bottom of the case was level with the bottom of the transmission.

I like having the skid and crossmember separate for all my builds just for easier maintenance.

The 4.3 Vortec is also fairly tall because the throttle body still mounts on top of the intake. A 5.3 or 6.0 where the TB intake is pointing toward the radiator would allow for the engine to be moved up a couple of inches higher to get the belly completely flat and level with the frame.
that wb sounds reasonable. i am using full width chevy axles and with the extension in wb i hope to have a stable platform. lift will be generated with soa only, save body lift but the tub is 'glass so the cog should remain low. if i can lose body lift i will, its the po's solution to fitting the 465. plus they mounted the engine too high imo.

i will likely do a tube mount and removable skid. imo the full skid is overkill and, well placed sliders is all thats needed. nice build btw. i have an 'a1 at disposal. it will be next after the '2a when im done with it but thats waaaaay down the road
Old 03-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 120509
Tomorrow is a big day: it's going 'wheeling for the first time!!!

I hope my friends will take some video and pics while we're riding, so I can keep adding to the thread. I can't wait.[/QUOTE]

Where e y'all going, we are gonna go watch the acrs race at HPO tomorrow?
dan99tj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan99tj1 View Post
Where e y'all going, we are gonna go watch the acrs race at HPO tomorrow?
We'll be there. A couple of people went up today and camped, but the rest is heading out in the morning. See you there.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #166 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Here are a few short videos from Saturday:

M38A1 Rockcrawling at Hawk Pride - YouTube

M38A1 at Hawk Pride 3.8.14 - YouTube

M38A1 at Hawk Pride 3.8.14 1 - YouTube

Last edited by craigellis77; 03-10-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Short report from Saturday at Hawk Pride Mountain ORV Park:

-Nothing major broke
-One shock lost its seal; I have an extra one to swap on
-Needs bumpstops and the rear could use the OME extra leaf to raise it up a bit
-Front driveshaft pulled apart 3 times due to shackle reversal (8 inch slip spline too). A single limit strap should fix it for now. The front axle swings forward on droop a lot more than I thought it would.
-Hi clearance spring plates. I built some, but never installed them.
-Rear shocks bottom out hard. See bumpstop comment above. Also may get longer shocks in the future.
-Electric fan wiring got caught in the fan belt. Need to solder those back together.
-Power steering fluid looks milky and thin. I'm going to flush it and see if it helps. Otherwise, I'm going to go through the system and replace parts. The pump is brand new and the box is off a junkyard XJ.

The power steering issue was the biggest and loudest of the day. The jeep was very hard to steer, especially after the fluid got hot.

Driving impressions:

In general, I'm not used to a rig with less than a 90 degree approach angle and 35" tires. My last two had 42s and the tires were the first thing to hit a rock, so I have forgotten how to drive like I used to. Things are a lot different (more difficult) on small tires, especially on trails where the norm is 40s and above.

I started relearning how to approach a ledge or rock at an angle to get my bumper up, then turn into it to straighten up. Slick trails make this more difficult.

The jeep sits really low, so it is stable on side hills. It also makes approaching rocks more difficult because of the low bumper height.

Overall, I really like it and am pleased with how it turned out. The engine runs smooth, the transmission shifts well, the gearing is pretty good (second gear low range is perfect when wheel speed is needed), and the ride is comfortable enough for having leaf springs.

Now I plan on fixing the problems and enjoying it.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:31 AM   #168 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 103746
Looks great! Watched all three vids, good job!

Here :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
superdooty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #169 (permalink)

Member # 5326
'Only' 35" tires makes things a little more interesting and challenging again for sure!

It's good to see another frame up project make it back out on the trail.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #170 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdooty View Post
Looks great! Watched all three vids, good job!
Thanks!!! Next time out I hope to get more videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
'Only' 35" tires makes things a little more interesting and challenging again for sure!

It's good to see another frame up project make it back out on the trail.
Thanks Mieser! I drove it around today on backroads, and it feels really good between 55 and 60. I got it up to 68 today, and the engine is buzzing pretty good at that speed. Overall, I probably drove it 15 miles, and it felt great.

The jeep tracks straight with zero bumpsteer and is pretty comfortable to boot.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #171 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Alright, the rear springs are already too low, so the rear tires are getting into the fenders too much. If I add bumps with these springs, I'll have about 1" up travel before getting into them. I'd like a few more inches just to have a better ride.

Current springs are OME cs014f.

Thinking of a couple of options:
BDS 3.5 YJ leafs
Wagoneer leafs
Wagoneer 2" leafs
84-88 Toyota leafs

Anyone have opinions on any of these or other options?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-21-2014, 11:55 PM   #172 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141981
Send a message via ICQ to 46WILYZ
I have not driven my rig that much yet, but my 2" bds springs ride very well. Plus they have the no question asked replacement if needed. They where pretty cheap too!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #173 (permalink)

Member # 5326
I think all the BDS springs have a full military wrap 2nd leaf. I really like the feature front or rear. I do think that the BDS springs run a little tall for there advertised height, you might have someone measure the loaded arch in there's to compare.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #174 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 103746
Craig, I rated your thread a fiver, you definitely deserve it, great work! Have you considered changing the title to 4.3 where it says 6.0? I might be at Golden Mountain April 25-27th with a buddy, not with my rig though

Here :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
superdooty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 31763
Quote:
I have not driven my rig that much yet, but my 2" bds springs ride very well. Plus they have the no question asked replacement if needed. They where pretty cheap too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
I think all the BDS springs have a full military wrap 2nd leaf. I really like the feature front or rear. I do think that the BDS springs run a little tall for there advertised height, you might have someone measure the loaded arch in there's to compare.
Thanks for the feedback. I called ARB USA this week, and the person I talked to said they had a flatfender with the same springs I'm running (CS014F), and their jeep has the same problem as mine: saggging and leaning. He suggested an add a leaf, but even then, they didn't have great results on their in house jeep.

I'm leaning that direction for springs if I end up buying new again but have also been considering the Rubicon Express 2.5" springs. I located a set of stock front Wagoneer springs for a good price, so I think I am going to try them out for a while. If they don't work, I'll be back to new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdooty View Post
Craig, I rated your thread a fiver, you definitely deserve it, great work! Have you considered changing the title to 4.3 where it says 6.0? I might be at Golden Mountain April 25-27th with a buddy, not with my rig though
I really appreciate that! As you, and most everyone in the Willys forum know, building a rig from scratch is a whole lot of work. It's great to see the end result after spending hours and hours in the shop on those really cold or hot days and nights.

I changed the title since you mentioned it. I have been meaning to do that for a long time and have been too lazy. Ha.

EDIT: Realized title edits don't show up on the main page. PM'ed "Admin" and requested the change.

Last edited by craigellis77; 03-29-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in