East coast Willys story...... - Page 12 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #276 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Well had some time to get things done. I got the body braced up so I could begin removing the bubba fab. It was pretty much a wet noodle until I added some structure. I have a feeling this tub will be like the rest of the jeep....a challenge.

I got my winch mounted up. Still some welding to do. But you get the idea. I used some tow points from Ruff Stuff and a generic winch plate I scored on CL. I had to trim it to clear the steering box. But otherwise the winch mount was pretty easy.

I'm debating whether to trim a few inches off the bumper ends. What do you think?
Attached Images

nofender is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #277 (permalink)

Member # 177602
Tough to say, but if you are not concerned with lunching the fenders, I would cut a bit more out of it. Not sure if I could pick a line from here though...
Spotter Team #734 Shameless Racing...Thanx to the sponsors: Extreme Axle, High Angle, Raceline, PSC
1951M38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #278 (permalink)

Member # 229476
I like the bumper frame width, but that's just me. If I did trail blazing and woods driving, I'd probably want a wider bumper. I like stubby bumpers for rocks and desert.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #279 (permalink)

Member # 172505
Fantastic thread! I know what I'm going to be doing with the rest of my day.
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2016, 06:47 AM   #280 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 195073
Are you going to box the bumper behind the tow points? I also live in New England but prefer a shorter bumper, just to the inside of the tire.

Skip
Old 12-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #281 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip44 View Post
Are you going to box the bumper behind the tow points? I also live in New England but prefer a shorter bumper, just to the inside of the tire.

Skip
Thanks for the comments guys. I think i'm going to compromise and take about 3 inches off each end of the bumper.

Skip, as for boxing - probably not. Maybe a brace here and there. The hooks tie into the winch plate with weld, which is then welded and bolted to the bumper. The bumper is held to the frame by 3 bolt on the steering box side and 4 on the passenger side. I spaced the tow hooks as far out as i could to the frame ends for max strength.

I think if anything I will add a strap to the top of the bumper tying in the hooks to the top bolt hole adding some more strength. I'll likely be adding a tie in point for the whole assembly to the rad cross member.

I think for a light weight Jeep it should do the trick.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #282 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
I was gonna say an inch or at most two trimmed from the bumper.

Are you going to tie in the rear of the winch plate to the frame rails? Maybe you already did; I can't tell.

Those fog lights look perfect. The front end is clean and neat and age-appropriate.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2016, 06:20 AM   #283 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
I was gonna say an inch or at most two trimmed from the bumper.

Are you going to tie in the rear of the winch plate to the frame rails? Maybe you already did; I can't tell.

Those fog lights look perfect. The front end is clean and neat and age-appropriate.
Thanks for the input. You got me rethinking the trimming. If you look at the picture, i was thinking trimming off right at that bolt hole on each side. That's just about three inches. Maybe i'll take an inch and see how i like it. I can always take more off.

Not done yet - but yes, i'll tie the rear of the winch plate to the cross member.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:29 PM   #284 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
It's alive!!

Little video of the motor running. Can't figure out how to embed the thing. So here is a link.

https://youtu.be/lz8Jh2SfgYQ

Last edited by nofender; 12-31-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:26 AM   #285 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Changed things up a bit and started doing some work on the big Jeep.

Installed the JB conversions 4:1 gears. Nothing remarkable to report. I did change out the intermediate shaft. But other than that the t-case was in mint shape as I just did the HD outputs last year. The 4:1 worked out to give me a very nice gear spread throughout the ranges. In theory, should be a vast improvement.

Next up - i'm installing a 1.5:1 Howe steering quickener. Again, parts I've had for some time but never installed.

Once this and a few other maintenance items are done, I'll start restoring the tub on the other flatty.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #286 (permalink)

Member # 229476
4:1 will be sweeet! Someday I'd like to gear my D18 lower, to bad they don't make a 4:1 for the D18
Old 01-15-2017, 05:51 AM   #287 (permalink)

Member # 177602
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
4:1 will be sweeet! Someday I'd like to gear my D18 lower, to bad they don't make a 4:1 for the D18
Thought they did a 3.15 or something like a 20?
Spotter Team #734 Shameless Racing...Thanx to the sponsors: Extreme Axle, High Angle, Raceline, PSC
Old 01-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #288 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1951M38 View Post
Thought they did a 3.15 or something like a 20?
yea, but no 4:1
Old 01-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #289 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quickener is in. Ratio is very nice now. After some head scratching, I got it mounted using the stock dash holes from the original Willys steering column.

However, steering is very heavy. I'm assuming the quickener will break in some. I can find no binding. So i'm assuming it'll get easier in time.

So jury is out on this mod. We'll see. I have a whole 1/4 of a mile behind the wheel with it.....
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #290 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
So back to the other rig....

I had an exhaust leak. So i decided I better address it before the tub was on. Manifolds were split and cleaned up. I ground down the casting flash to reduce hot point - maybe prevent a crack? Who knows. The manifold has been around 70 years and ain't cracked yet.

Then I rounded up the "correct" air horn and tube from the hoard. Both pieces that were on before were both repops. They never seemed to fit quite right to me. A bit of hammer and dolly work, some sanding and a coat of paint made the real pieces look just fine. Happy with the look and function.

Still having an idling issue. But considering the Frankenstein of a carb I put together, it's to be expected.

Checked the torque on the head. I'm confident in this motor. It really was a find. The short money i paid for it was well worth it!
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2017, 04:41 AM   #291 (permalink)

Member # 177602
Looking good Louis!
Old 01-16-2017, 04:50 AM   #292 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1951M38 View Post
Looking good Louis!
We're getting there! This weekend the plan is to mothball the chassis and start surgery on the tub.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #293 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 682169
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofender View Post
Quickener is in. Ratio is very nice now. After some head scratching, I got it mounted using the stock dash holes from the original Willys steering column.

However, steering is very heavy. I'm assuming the quickener will break in some. I can find no binding. So i'm assuming it'll get easier in time.

So jury is out on this mod. We'll see. I have a whole 1/4 of a mile behind the wheel with it.....
I'm pretty sure when you quicken the ratio you reduce your leverage. It is interesting however. The builds are progressing nicely, always a good read.
WILLYN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #294 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
thanks for the comments guys!

So got cracking on the tub surgery. Driver's floor had a couple patches. I started to cut away the patches. I was not expecting to find the original floor intact, but there it is. They are actually fairly solid. I'll likely still cut the entire piece out. But it was cool to see that there was only one layer of patch.

Speaking of layers - I've determined this has only been painted/redone once. There is only one paint job over the original green. I believe I'm going to match the original green and go that route when it's time.

Now just have to sweep up the 5 pounds of body filler I've taken off so far....
Attached Images

Last edited by nofender; 01-21-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #295 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
well that escalated quickly.....

passenger side toolbox is not salvageable. The floor on that side literally crumbled when the box was removed. I often wonder what people are thinking when they repair these things. The layer of patches, gobs of tar, rivets, screws etc boggle the mind. The floor beneath the box had no less than 9 pieces of sheetmetal arranged like a jigsaw puzzle and stuck together with a combination of any method to secure metal. Very bizarre. It took a lot of effort to pull off this level of hackery.

Anyway, it's well on it's way to getting straightened out. Time to order a few panels and set up the brake.
Attached Images

Last edited by nofender; 01-21-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #296 (permalink)

Member # 229476
oh man!
Old 01-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #297 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
oh man!
Yep.....pretty ugly. But I have a sheet of 16 gauge and a brake. So even if what I do ends up being crap, it will still be better than it was!

It looks worse than it really is. I'm pretty confident I can make it usable. If i were going for a show stopper, I might have to think about a new tub. But for what I will use it for, this will be fine....I hope.

Found the body has actually been folding in on itself because it was so weak. I have to cut away some of my bracing in order to bring the cowl back to where it should be.

Last edited by nofender; 01-24-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #298 (permalink)

Member # 229476
someone on the cj2a page forums was selling newly formed hat channel a while back, might be worth checking out if you want to keep the original style support on the underside.

Last edited by danielbuck; 01-22-2017 at 01:59 PM.
danielbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #299 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
someone on the cj2a page forums was selling newly formed hat channel a while back, might be worth checking out if you want to keep the original style support on the underside.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-26-2017, 04:43 AM   #300 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
God bless Carl Walck!

I thought about making all the panels. But in the end I bought some of the sheetmetal. The savings in time makes it worth it to me. There is so much "other work" to do on this tub that I don't want to tie myself up making readily available pieces.

30 minutes of nip/tuck got this panel fitting pretty nicely. My goal for the weekend would be to get the driver side all tacked up and solid.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in