East coast Willys story...... - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #51 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 103746
ok. I'll say it. Damn that looks good

Here :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
superdooty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #52 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Here's a couple of East Coast flattys in action from last weekend.

First is Rick B in his 40 something. This rig was built by Terry (?) Howe years back. It ran some west coast comps and did well. Rick bought it somewhere around 2001. He's made some changes over the years, most notably the 3 link rear with King air shocks. It's powered by a 4.3, TH350 to a D18. Axles are 44's front and rear with alloy shafts. After all these years it still works great and gets wheeled on a regular basis.

The next is John B. Truthfully I'm not even sure what this thing is made of. It's a 49. Axles are 44's with 5:38. Tires are 37 Irocks. It's powered by an odd-fire hooked to a T-18. John's done a custom coil spring 3-link all the way around. It doesn't look like much. But it goes like stink. He's got almost 2 decades behind the wheel of thsi one. I'm sure that has a lot to do with how well it goes......
Attached Images

nofender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #53 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
next phase.....

The plan was to run support for 327 Lambert Motorsports in the 2012 KOH. But circumstances prevented us from making that trip. In prep for 2012....and now 13, I began to make soem changes in the winter of 11. I started by building these:
Attached Images

Last edited by nofender; 10-01-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #54 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Motor is a 350. It's a realtively mild motor. Comp cam, 1.6 rollers, low RPM torquer manifold, HEI and a modified big block Holley TBI. We have it pretty dialed in at this point and she runs very well. I would guess it's sub 300 horse. Maybe 275-290ish. But coming from a 100HP V6.....it's more than enough to get me dead.

The trans - a TH350 again, build more for relaibility than anything else. It has a mild kit, a 2200 stall an a good sized cooler. So far it's been outstanding.

This kind of brings me to the current state my Jeep is in. I will shoot some pictures in the garage this week and highlight some other changes made for the upcoming trip.

Last edited by nofender; 10-01-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #55 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
It's been a while since i've updated.

Prep for KOH 13 is in full swing. I gave some thought to entering the Everyman Challange. But in teh end have decided to just run support for Lambert Motorsports.

Goals are pretty basic:

slightly more fuel capacity, better storage, safer rear firewall and maximized suspension travel.

I installed the King coilovers and bumps last year. They work great. But my install wasn't the best. I had to make some compromises. So this round I removed the crossmember that was limiting up travel. Also I installed the bumps incorrectly. They need to be raised several inches. So basically for the rear, I am correcting my mistakes.

couple shots of it at full stuff. I should end up with 8 inches of up travel and 8 inches of droop in the rear.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #56 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4962
great thread and of course keep us updated as you make your adjustments....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--my '48 build:

'56 truck:

csutton7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #57 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
I got a few things done over the holiday. The fuel cell mount/tray is pretty much done. I offset the cell to the passenger side as much as I could. This left me with about 5 inches of space on the driver's side of the cell. I'm going to use this space for some storage. I whipped up a storage box out of 16 gauge. It's about perfect for quart size bottles. But I think I will use this space for recovery gear. I just need to figure out a lid/retainer. I bought straps for the fuel cell. They were wimpy pieces of shit. So i made my own. Next on the list is to start bending up a firewall and floor for teh rear.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #58 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Rear floor is taking shape. Starting on the bulkhead shortly.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #59 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Sooooo......KOH trip is off. It was a tough decision. But i found out just after Christmas that my job was coming to an end. We are getting bought out. With almost 200 employees, I just couldn't leave them to fend for themselves. The good news is that almost everyone will land on their feet with the new company. My personal situation is still up in the air.....so my wife thought it would be good therapy to just keep building as if i were still going. So that's what I'm doing. Interior is ready to be reinstalled. I now have a proper rear bulkhead. I went a little overkill with the Dynamat, i know. but what the hell. It should cut the exhaust noise and heat in half. Rear bumpstops have been reworked and installed properly. Next is to reconfigure the upper shock mounts. So yeah, it blows the trip is bagged for a second year in a row. But what are you gonna do....
Attached Images

Last edited by nofender; 01-29-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #60 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Some progress.....

solved the misc storage issues. I'm pretty happy the way it worked out. I need to come up with some sort of cooler mount. But that shouldn't be to hard given the room i have now.

Shock mounts are reconfigured and corrected now. I have a solid 8 inches of up travel. The bumps are nearly at the perfect height. Overall, should be a vast improvemnt.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #61 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18307
total hack job
BKWUDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #62 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKWUDZ View Post
total hack job
I know. I should just junk it!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #63 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Remote fill is done.

I lost my mind at Cabela's and bought a Yeti cooler. The thing is bad ass. Next up is a mount for it.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #64 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 103746
I never understood the majic of a Yeti cooler until recently. Holy crap. Do they have a winter climate generator built into them? And that pic of your rig flopped on its side, one of my all time favorites on Pirate.

Here :

Last edited by superdooty; 02-25-2013 at 07:50 PM.
superdooty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #65 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Cooler mount done....

Now just waiting for the new seats to arrive. Maybe I can actually wheel this thing soon!
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 121903
Just read through the build, that's a badass rig with an awesome story.

Hope to get to see you, and the Willys, on the trail someday!

-Patrick
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #67 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTeunuch View Post
Just read through the build, that's a badass rig with an awesome story.

Hope to get to see you, and the Willys, on the trail someday!

-Patrick
Thanks for the kind words!

I'm sure we'll see you out there soon.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #68 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Seats finally arrived. I went with PRP. I chose fat guy size for the driver seat. What a nice seat! I redid the seat mount. All the belts are double shear mounted now. I wrapped up a few loose ends, cleaning up some wiring and rolled her out to see the light of day. The last detail is to replace my PS pump and I should be ready to wheel.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #69 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18307
Looks awesome Andy!!
BKWUDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 5473
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofender View Post
And lastly, dear departed friend George Romond. The Willys community lost a great friend last year. May he rest in peace.

His 3B is being lovingly restored by Todd and his fine crew at Endangered Species.

Wow, i hadnt known George passed away. Met him a few times in Charlemont and sold him an MB grill once many years ago.

I also know Jack from NJ, those pics of his Flatty goes back a ways. I remember the monoleaf YJ after that also. Havent seen Jack in quite awhile.

I think i met you also, maybe at Pocono Trailfest or the Smokey Mountain Venture. The Venture was a great event.. too bad it died out.

Looking fwd to updates
Old 12-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #71 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Back from the dead.....

Spent the year wheeling where I could. I was doing some maintenance when I discovered a broken leaf spring center pin. It must have been broken for a while because it hog out the oposing pin hole. Then of course the dreaded spring plate bolt break.

So I decided to hang it up for the year and fix the problem for good. A few pics for you to see....
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #72 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Mocked up a 3 link and it looked something like this....
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #73 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Then shiny bits arrived....
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #74 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Still have to blow it apart for finish welding, paint and to load the axle up. Orbital needs a mount as well. I am quickly running out of real estate under the hood. Packaging all this has been interesting.

Front axle is now a Dodge housing. I removed the GM in order to get a narrower front track with. The Dodge was near perfect as it kept the pinion in the ideal spot. I lopped 2 more inches off the long side. So, all in all i will be right around 65.5 inches wide as apposed to 69.5. Wheel base has also be stretched out to 109-110ish.

Wheel travel comes in at 6.5 up, 7.5 down. Pretty well matched to rear which is 7 up and 9 down. Front springs seem as though I may have spec'd then a tad heavy. We'll try them out first and see how they go.

lots left to do, but it's getting there.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 121903
Wow, 6.5" up is pretty good. How long are your links? What's the separation at the axle and frame?

Were you at the NEA fall crawl? I think I saw your rig there
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in