East coast Willys story...... - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #151 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
couple of gems I stumbled on. The 3B was seen all over the park, wheeling away with the best of them. Very cool rig.
Attached Images

nofender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 420338
Damn. We were supposed to go to Rausch this weekend with the rest of Iron in the Pines.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #153 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovak View Post
Damn. We were supposed to go to Rausch this weekend with the rest of Iron in the Pines.
I ran into Fennimore at O'neals Pub Saturday night. What are the chances!?!? It was good to see him!

Old 04-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #154 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
best picture of the weekend.....
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #155 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
well, two piece shaft it is. Although technically it's more than two piece. But you get the idea. I bought a nifty little piece from Wide Open Designs. Very nice product with double sealed roller bearings. It should be more than adequate for my use. 1st shaft is about 11 inches long. The lower shaft came in at 24.5 in running length. I clearanced the yoke for good measure. But in the end it wasn't needed. Although it looks spooky, no bind at full droop. This should solve my ultra long driveshaft issues. You can see how bent and twisted the old shaft was from a weekend at Rausch Creek. Looking forward to trying the new set up out next weekend.

Progress was a little slow as the shop is a mess. My son and i decided to finally finish the shop and dry wall it. Momma is none too happy as the bikes and other junk have taken over her garage temporarily.....
Attached Images

Last edited by nofender; 05-10-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #156 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Old shaft has a nice smile huh...
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #157 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
not particulary Willys related....

But we built this YJ over a weekend. It's my daughter's boyfriend's rig. We knocked out a new suspension, 4:56 gears, an 8.8 swap and 35's in a weekend's time. It came out pretty good. He's happy....and I'm happy because it's out of the shop...
Attached Images

Last edited by nofender; 05-31-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #158 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Speaking of shop - the shop rehab is in full swing. I found all sorts of cool signs and parts that I've turned into wall art. Welding station is in place and the shop is the most organized it's ever been. Still lots to do before I can call it done. The 3rd load of scrap is in the pickup now. Gotta make room.....
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2014, 08:39 PM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 179963
Sweet garage and that YJ is not to shabby either.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 PM   #160 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 82435
With your chopsaw on a bench like that how do you control the sparks/dust? I end up using mine on the floor with the sparks flying out the door. I've debated mounting it to my bench but haven't come up with a good spark/dust containment method yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

51 Ford

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

81 Cherokee
Rooney77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2014, 04:54 AM   #161 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney77 View Post
With your chopsaw on a bench like that how do you control the sparks/dust? I end up using mine on the floor with the sparks flying out the door. I've debated mounting it to my bench but haven't come up with a good spark/dust containment method yet.
That's not it's permanent home. Like you, I typically cut on the floor with it. Once the rest of my benches are built, I have an idea on how to use it on the bench with a redneck air management system I'm cobbling up in my head. We'll see if I actually get it done....
Old 10-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #162 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Nothing too exciting to report. I've been wheeling the wee out of this thing this year. Loving it! Still may lighten up the front springs this winter. But other than that - no major plans.

Ran some comp lines at RC two weekends ago. Most ended very well. One did not. LOL!

Just pics today.....no real tech.....
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #163 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
What really took up my time this season was this garage rehab. It started simple. But like many things i get involved in.....I lost my mind.

Anyway - over 32 feet of workbench now, lots of storage and finally some decent organization. I also completed my welding station some 5 years after starting/aquiring it. It's so great working in a space where you know where just about everything is. Still more to do before it's called done. But it's almost there.

Yeah...not Willys related. But hey....it's my thread.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #164 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 195073
So how long will it stay so clean? I will spend a day getting my shop squared away and by noon the next day it is a mess again.

Skip
Old 10-28-2014, 04:01 AM   #165 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip44 View Post
So how long will it stay so clean? I will spend a day getting my shop squared away and by noon the next day it is a mess again.

Skip
Thats why I took the pics....to prove it was once clean! It's already a mess. Potting soil on one end from my wife. The other end is covered with AMc V8 parts I'm sorting through. It was fun while it lasted.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #166 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Garage Tech; Nice shop, a man has to have his space/man cave, if I didn't have mine I would have been divorced years ago. The shop/garage is important to any sport/ hobby. Where is the vice, it seams most of my time spent is working on or around my worn out 6" vice I may look into a multi. purpose vice combo. thing
Old 04-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #167 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Well it's been an awful long time.....

I can't even remember what's been going on since the last i posted in this thread. But anyway, to catch up on the winter projects, Here's the list of a few things i did:

Freshened up the motor a bit. I swapped to an Edelbrock air gap manifold, but not for the reason you think. The air gap is the perfect palce to cook buritos and hot dogs! Perfect!

I swapped the 32 spline outputs into the t-case finally. The parts have been on the shelf literally for years. One reciept dated back to 2002.

Did some trans work. Swapped some Hughes parts in here and there. Good overall improvement.

The big work was redoing the upper link. I corrected some faulty geometry. I lengthened the upper link almost 12 inches. The result in performance was dramatic. It climbs better than it ever did.

Couple pics....
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #168 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
suspension/geometry shots.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2016, 04:12 PM   #169 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
But the real news is this!

I've been on the hunt for a new project. My rig has gone about as far as it's going to go. The next logical step would be to start with a tube chassis. I have no intention of doing that. So the crawler, other than maintenance and minor changes here and there, is done. It's 99% where I want it to be.

That said, i've been longing for a simpler rig, a rig like we used to ride and build. While i love my rig in it's current state, I miss my rig from 20 years ago.

The story of this Jeep is still a little foggy. But it has some New England pedigree. It's an old Jamboree Jeeper from Maine as far as i can tell. Paul (BKWUDZ on here) initially found it. He was going to resurrect it, until he found a 3B more to his liking. Thankfully he called me first when he decided to make this available. I bought it without ever seeing it! Thank you Paul!!

So what to do? My goal is to make it safe. Stock drivetrain will stay. The frame is hammered. So after a few calls I now have a rolling chassis in very nice shape. Thank you Ray (1951M38 on here) !! He gave me a deal I couldn't refuse......FREE!

The axles on the blue one are locked. They both have disc brakes too. So the intent is to swap those onto the new chassis. Leaf springs seem to be in good order. So score there.

There is also power steering bits on the blue one. We'll assess the condition and make some choices.

The overall goal is to recreate the Jeep on page 1 of this thread. So in essence, it's still an east coast Willys story.

I'm open to any and all ideas!!! Feel free to chime in as this story is taking a retro turn as of today!!

more to come.....
Attached Images

Last edited by nofender; 04-24-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #170 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18307
It was great to see u Andy, Your rig was one of the first Willys I saw and wheeled with 20 years ago, and led to my love of the Flattys. I grabbed that 2a because it was a deal to good to pass up, and I had just missed a sweet deal on a 3B, so I was on the rebound. But what I really wanted was a 3B. In the next few weeks I picked up a mint 3B frame, axles and suspension. Was going to use on the 2a, Then this week, When that 3B I tried to buy a month ago, came back up for sale I jumped on it, with the 3B stuff I just got it was meant to be. (Come to find out Nofender was right behind me in line, trying to buy the 3b too...lol, better luck next time).

So I could have rolled the 2a out back and let it sit for a few years, but I knew Nofender had been wanting for old school Willys for a while, And gave him first crack at it. He didn't blink. He's an good guy, and an old friend, one with good connections in the east coast Willys scene. That could come in handy, It took me 3 weeks to find a good frame....he had one in a day

Watch for a thread on the 3b soon as I get I out of the trailer.
BKWUDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #171 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKWUDZ View Post
It was great to see u Andy, Your rig was one of the first Willys I saw and wheeled with 20 years ago, and led to my love of the Flattys. I grabbed that 2a because it was a deal to good to pass up, and I had just missed a sweet deal on a 3B, so I was on the rebound. But what I really wanted was a 3B. In the next few weeks I picked up a mint 3B frame, axles and suspension. Was going to use on the 2a, Then this week, When that 3B I tried to buy a month ago, came back up for sale I jumped on it, with the 3B stuff I just got it was meant to be. (Come to find out Nofender was right behind me in line, trying to buy the 3b too...lol, better luck next time).

So I could have rolled the 2a out back and let it sit for a few years, but I knew Nofender had been wanting for old school Willys for a while, And gave him first crack at it. He didn't blink. He's an good guy, and an old friend, one with good connections in the east coast Willys scene. That could come in handy, It took me 3 weeks to find a good frame....he had one in a day

Watch for a thread on the 3b soon as I get I out of the trailer.
Thanks for the kind words man. And thanks for giving me first crack at it. Good seeing you. Looking forward to your 3B build!

I'll pick up that F-head for you. I'll grab the 3B frame too......just in case I beat you to the next 3B....

Last edited by nofender; 04-24-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #172 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18307
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofender View Post
Thanks for the kind words man. And thanks for giving me first crack at it. Good seeing you. Looking forward to your 3B build!

I'll pick up that F-head for you. I'll grab the 3B frame too......just in case I beat you to the next 3B....
Thank, but stay away from the 3B's Your a 2a guy...lol
BKWUDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #173 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
I've owned a lot of flat fenders is varying stages of repair and disrepair. In New England its especially tough because most of these little buggers plowed snow at some point in their lives. Front frame horns in good order are hard to come by. Most have been repaired at some point or another. But never have I seen such hacking! I'm not even sure what to make of these frame horns. They aren't even on a horizonal plane any more. They point down! I can't help but stare at these and wonder WTF.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #174 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Good news here is that the rolling chassis I acquired has good bones. This frame had a plow on it. But it must have served light duty. Other than some minor tweaking, it's pretty straight. I can easily fixe what's here. I did score frame number 3 today. Once I pick that up, I'll make a final determination and start disassembly.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #175 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
well today have been a bit of a roller coaster. I decided to do some Willys archeology and see what i could see with the engine.

We started by freeing up a couple of stuck valves. No real surprise there as they like to stick when they sit. Anyway, working the PB blaster in the and cranking it by hand freed up all but one stubborn exhaust valve. So I started to pull the head. I discovered the water jackets in the head were once a mouse condo. Still not detered, i kept digging. I pulled the side cover to find a beautifully clean motor. This is supposedly a low mileage motor and by the condition I observed, I believe it!

then came the bad news.....
Attached Images

Last edited by nofender; 04-30-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in