East coast Willys story...... - Page 9 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2016, 05:06 PM   #201 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Got a lot done over the last couple days. I boxed the front frame rails and added the PS box mount. I used 3/16 on the PS side and 1/8 on the passenger side. Like a dummy, I didn't brace the front rails. So even though I did it in stages, the front rails drew in almost a 1/4 inch. Not having a port-a-power, I went full medieval with a hi-lift jack. I got the rails less than an 1/8 of an inch from correct. I used an AA box mount thinking it would save some time. It's a nice piece. But for me, I should have just built it from scratch. It was a lot of time fiddling and positioning this thing. In the end, it may have been easier to just build. But anyway, it's in and I'm relativey happy with the result.

Gotta say, this thing is humbling me. All these things that I thought were basic, are kicking my ass. Nothing like an old flatty schooling you.....

Scored some Perlux lights on C-list. Had to have them! I think they will fit well with the theme.

I have to tunnel through the crossmember under the radiator for steering clearance. it doesn't help that my plasma cutter decided to no longer do exciting plasma cutting things. Oh well.....once I do that, I'll be ready for paint. Speaking of paint - what are you guys using for chassis paint?
Attached Images

Last edited by nofender; 05-29-2016 at 05:19 PM.
nofender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #202 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
check out the sweet pitman arm that is attached to the box. Talk about scary....
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2016, 05:07 AM   #203 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18307
Looks good.
BKWUDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 05:37 AM   #204 (permalink)

Member # 177602
Definitely kicking butt....
Spotter Team #734 Shameless Racing...Thanx to the sponsors: Extreme Axle, High Angle, Raceline, PSC
1951M38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #205 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Crossmember is done and i mocked up the box. The steering shaft has plenty of clearance to go in just about any direction. I'm thinking it may go over the motor mount. It could even go through the mount. We'll just have to see once the drivetrain is in. But I'm comfortable I will be able to make just about any set up work.

Found some bump stops from the crawler in the parts bin. I think i can make these work! Tall in the rear, short in front.

Time to flip the frame over.....
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #206 (permalink)
Shameless Racing

Member # 82154
How is it possible that this is the first time I've come across this thread? I have got to get out of the drivers seat and behind a keyboard way more...

Looking good, I need to take a walk over and check it out, even if it's just to drink and heckle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

W.E.Rock
Pro-mod #734
RCrocs
2014 Class III Champions

Thanks to my wife and daughter, Ray,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Town Line Auto Salvage
rolloverboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #207 (permalink)

Member # 128674
This is an awesome thread. I've enjoyed it from the beginning. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:25 AM   #208 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt rider View Post
This is an awesome thread. I've enjoyed it from the beginning. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Thanks dirt rider! Hope to post more soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolloverboy View Post
How is it possible that this is the first time I've come across this thread? I have got to get out of the drivers seat and behind a keyboard way more...

Looking good, I need to take a walk over and check it out, even if it's just to drink and heckle
Drinking and heckling.....always welcome in the shop!
Old 06-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #209 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
ready for paint.....

The chassis that is.

I did a little boxing/strengthening the rear spring mount area on the frame.

I also added the progressive bump stops in the rear. I had to weld a small strap on each side to keep the stop from pivoting. It's a single bolt mount in the center. Probably didn't need to do this, but I'd hate to see it be an issue after it's all together.

For the front bump stops, I set the chassis up to use two different types. The goal is to use the progressive. However they are much longer than stock. So my concern is that they may not land on the axle properly. If that happens I can run the other set I have, which wear originally rear XJ bumps. these are similar in length to a stock bump stop. I don't even know where these came from! I had them in the bin, new, in the package. Shrug....

For paint, going to keep it simple and use the same Duplicolor stuff I used on the rear axle of the crawler. It's held up nice and it's ready to spray out of the can, Easy touch up too.

Overall, I'm pleased and ready to get assembling a roller. I would have shot it tonight. But it's been raining all day here and I don't won't to deal with the humidity. So one day this week, when it's dry, I'll shoot it.

As a side note: I may have found a nice rebuilt engine too. I'll know more on Monday. If the motor is as advertised, it could save me a ton of time and money! More to come.....
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #210 (permalink)

Member # 82950
Sweet project! Gotta' love a basic flattie.
Mike C2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #211 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
milestone...

quite happy with the result considering I'm still spraying with a 10 year old, $20 Harbor Freight gun. In hindsight, cans probably would have been just fine. I ended up touching up with a can in some nooks and crannies I could not reach with the gun.

Anyway, now I can really start putting together a proper rolling chassis.
Attached Images

Last edited by nofender; 06-08-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #212 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18307
Looks nice! I better get moving, your catching up
Old 06-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #213 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
So no pics today. I did mount the front springs and axle. But, when getting some parts in the loft, I caught a nail with my fat melon and had to do the ER trip. Seven staples.... The wife put her foot down and shut me down for the weekend.

Now I do need some opinions. I'm debating brakes. Front is disc. CJ bolt on brackets and thick rotors. These will be refurbished and will stay.

My debate is the rear. There are discs in the rear too. They appear to be 1/4 ton Chevy or Waggy with thick rotors. They are shot and need replacement.

So question - what would you do in the rear? Redo the disc, or install a new set of 9 inch drums, of which I have a complete new set?

Last edited by nofender; 06-12-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #214 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 682169
Ouch man, I feel your pain. With very little hair left as proximity sensors I gouge my head quite often!
I haven't really earned much credibility yet, but I would take discs over drums any day of the week. My 69 CJ5 had stock drums all around and it almost got me killed a couple of times. And if you drive through a creek you can forget about stopping for a while. I put 11" drums on the other 47 I had and it was marginally better. That was in the 80's before discs were so easily available.
WILLYN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2016, 04:31 AM   #215 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLYN View Post
Ouch man, I feel your pain. With very little hair left as proximity sensors I gouge my head quite often!
I haven't really earned much credibility yet, but I would take discs over drums any day of the week. My 69 CJ5 had stock drums all around and it almost got me killed a couple of times. And if you drive through a creek you can forget about stopping for a while. I put 11" drums on the other 47 I had and it was marginally better. That was in the 80's before discs were so easily available.
I think you are right. I was just having a cheapskate moment I guess. Going to stick with the disc set up and just refurbish it all.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:28 AM   #216 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Well the password drama got me. I had to create a new account. Been waiting for days for some tech support on my original account. I finally gave up....

So anyway, now I'm a newb again. I know it shouldn't but it irritates the shit out of me! Oh well, my own fault....

It's officially a roller! I found some 70's vintage slot wheels in Maine.These match what i had back in the day. Not sure if i will keep the 31's. They are in nice shape, but not exactly what I want. I'll have to run a small spacer or grind the calipers. There is some minor interference. I was planning on a 1 inch spacer anyway.

Hope to drop a mock up drive train in this week!

Also managed to get the big bitch out on Fathers Day weekend. My daughter and I had a ball!
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #217 (permalink)
Shameless Racing

Member # 82154
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofender v2.0 View Post
Well the password drama got me. I had to create a new account. Been waiting for days for some tech support on my original account. I finally gave up....

So anyway, now I'm a newb again. I know it shouldn't but it irritates the shit out of me! Oh well, my own fault....

W.E.Rock
Pro-mod #734
RCrocs
2014 Class III Champions

, Town Line Auto Salvage
Old 06-28-2016, 07:17 AM   #218 (permalink)
Shameless Racing

Member # 82154
Alright, that's out of the way

Looks good, going with 31'' radials? Why not, enjoy being able to drive her around

W.E.Rock
Pro-mod #734
RCrocs
2014 Class III Champions

, Town Line Auto Salvage

Last edited by rolloverboy; 06-28-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #219 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18307
Wow, didn't know member #'s went that high
Old 06-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #220 (permalink)

Member # 116048
Nice score on the wheels, I was to late calling if they were the ones on Craigslist
yarmish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #221 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolloverboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKWUDZ View Post
Wow, didn't know member #'s went that high
I'm back bitches!

Last edited by nofender; 06-28-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #222 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18307
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofender View Post
I'm back bitches!
That was driving you nuts wasn't it! Lol
Old 06-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #223 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKWUDZ View Post
That was driving you nuts wasn't it! Lol
Maybe a little.....

Ok! A lot!
Old 06-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #224 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 195073
Where in Maine?

Skip
Old 06-29-2016, 03:28 AM   #225 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip44 View Post
Where in Maine?

Skip
Belfast. Fellow on another board had them on his Sammy. He had a full set of five.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in