1952 M38 Build/Mods - Page 11 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #251 (permalink)

Member # 187666
Still waiting on my knuckles and steering arms from Front Range Off-road. So, I decided to start on some body work. I had and old "WILLYS" stamped hood that was pretty rotten, so I cut out the logo for a little body project. My passenger lower cowl/kick panel had some serious oil canning issues, so some sheetmetal replacement was on my to do list. Then I figured I'd put the "WILLYS" logo on the lower cowl panel. Lots of tacks, skim coat of bondo, and a blast of primer, and done.

lurch9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #252 (permalink)

Member # 187666
And..... more body work. I welded a piece of 1/8" steel rod to the top of my cowl where the windshield gasket sits. After some bondo, I ended up with a small rain gutter to direct any water, that gets under the windshield gasket, out the sides. This keeps water from getting by the seal and leaking down the dash and on to the gauges. This idea was borrowed from this forum, pretty sure it was the Rango build.

Tough to see in the pic bc I used my potato filter, but it's there, I promise.

I also started degreasing the drivetrain. If you have a dirty engine or a dirty, greasy, naughty.....erm, filthy tranny, I suggest Easy Off HD oven cleaner from Dollar General. This stuff works like magic. The longer it soaks, the deeper it cleans. PSA, please wear a respirator. After cleaning, the trans got a customary coat of flat black.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #253 (permalink)

Member # 187666
More progress on some not so awesome stuff. Ive been needing to nail down a location for the chassis fuse block. There is a glove box on the M38 dash that isn't really big enough for anything useful. Interior firewall space is also extremely limited. So I decided to use the space for the fuse block and access will be gained through the glove box door.

Here's the bracket.

Looking into the glove box

Bracket installed

TADA!

Firewall grommets

Old 11-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #254 (permalink)

Member # 187666
The t-case had a Sky Manufacturing E-brake kit on it, but due to the narrower frame rails and overall lack of space, I had to do something fancy. I removed the bellcranked arm, the cable and the turnbuckle and replaced them all with a linear actuator. With the push of a button, it applies 110lbs of force over a 1 inch throw. Static load hold is 500+ lbs. It's also dirt, dust and waterproof so it should hold up well. Time shall be it's true test.

Also got the t-case skid skinned with the UHMW.

Also got in a box of parts....my favorite of the bunch is my new steering wheel. Gotta love the wood grain....does that make this a luxury vehicle?

Old 11-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #255 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch9 View Post
The t-case had a Sky Manufacturing E-brake kit on it, but due to the narrower frame rails and overall lack of space, I had to do something fancy. I removed the bellcranked arm, the cable and the turnbuckle and replaced them all with a linear actuator. With the push of a button, it applies 110lbs of force over a 1 inch throw. Static load hold is 500+ lbs. It's also dirt, dust and waterproof so it should hold up well. Time shall be it's true test.

That's trick. I like that.
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #256 (permalink)

Member # 187666
I worked on getting some loom ran for the taillights and whatnot. 1/2" loom with insulted P-clips from HD. Since the fuse block is on the passenger side of the willys, I ran the loom down the passenger side, under the lip of the tub for a little protection. Still need to punch a hole in the top of the fenderwell and pop in a grommet.

Since I've been waiting on parts, I wrangled up every part I could find and hit them with primer and flat black. Also completely disassembled the headlight buckets, sandblast and paint.

Also, I got an email that my steering stuff from FROR is on its way. FINALLY!
Old 11-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #257 (permalink)

Member # 187666
Steering arms finally came in. They are keyed arms from Front Range Off-road. I'm not thrilled with them but they will work fine once I make them how I want them. I waited 8 weeks for them which was strike one. Had I been told about an 8 week lead time I would've been ok with it and I would've planned accordingly, however, I was told 2 week lead time. Strike 2 was the less than stellar machine work. I just expected more attention to detail, and far less tooling marks. Strike 3 was the hole placement. When I talked to them on the phone they said they could drill them for me in a standard hi-steer pattern. They obviously let Helen Keller locate the holes bc they're not even close to the hole locations on my old arms. So, now I will be plugging, weldering and redrilling the holes for the heims. Oh well, at least I can move forward but with more effort on my part to fix their part.

Here's the arms with the 25mm pins and all new timken bearings and seals.

Moved the assist cylinder, trying to keep it tight to the front axle, so it doesn't get into the rad at full bump.

Also got the truss welded up. Lots of 1.5" welds, spaced apart and welded over a couple trips down to the barn. Don't need to warp the housing on the last little bit of fab.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #258 (permalink)

Member # 187666
Well the gigantic arms turned out to be a good thing. Plenty of room for activities and plenty of real estate for the bracketry to make the heims double shear. I welded up the Helen Keller holes and redrilled closer to actual hi-steer location. Next I chopped up some scrap heavy wall tubing I had laying around, made some plates and then weldered it up. Next was paint, and to start reassembly. Got nearly done with the driver side and then I ran out of grease. I'll have a roller tomorrow.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:14 AM   #259 (permalink)

Member # 229476
nice updates :-D

I'd like to do a hydro assist sometime as well, I don't have a whole lot of room for a pulley driven pump though, I wonder how an electric pump would do?
Old 11-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #260 (permalink)

Member # 187666
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
nice updates :-D

I'd like to do a hydro assist sometime as well, I don't have a whole lot of room for a pulley driven pump though, I wonder how an electric pump would do?
Thanks!

Somebody has to be the gineau pig. I'm sure you could make it work.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #261 (permalink)

Member # 187666
Made some good progress today. The frame is back to roller status. Only have one small issue, the brakes drag quit a bit, may need new calipers but we will see once everything is plumbed and bled. Also got the draglink and tie rod all weldered up and installed. All new hardware too. Hardware is expensive.

Next up is the engine and trans. Had to rearrange the shop so I can use the redneck hoist bc the cherry picker boom isn't long enough.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #262 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch9 View Post
Thanks!

Somebody has to be the gineau pig. I'm sure you could make it work.
ugh, don't tempt me.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:15 AM   #263 (permalink)

Member # 187666
Moar stuff done! Had some 3/4" wheel spacers for the rear, wanted them a bit smaller so I tossed them into the lathe at my buddy's shop and turned them down to 7/16". These are for the rear to give just a little extra space for clearances.

Next up was to finish up the exhaust. I welded in the 02 bung, sprayed it with some bbq grill paint, then wrapped with DEI exhaust wrap. With the flat belly and keeping everything tucked up tight, I'm thinking that heat on the floorboards is gonna be an issue. This is just step one in trying to solve the problem before it actually happens.

Also got my new rear seat in today. I've got to cut all of the mounting brackets off and rework all of that stuff to lower the seat and tilt it slightly for comfort.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:17 AM   #264 (permalink)

Member # 187666
I made up an engine skid, it's kinda heavy but it should do it's job just fine. I'll carry the extra weight to keep the oil pan safe. If I ever have to remake it, I will use aluminum for version 2. I skinned the skid with more 3/8" UHMW for maximum slipperyness. The transition from the engine skid to the t-case skid is nice and smooth-ish, I used the router to put a radius on the trailing edge of the engine skid, hopefully it doesn't get hung up if I'm doing something in reverse. The front supports are made of 1"x1/8" round tube that I flattened the ends and bolted to the backside of the motor mount. I also bent up some some small ni-copp brake lines for the front calipers.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:27 PM   #265 (permalink)

Member # 187666
Primer and paint. Gonna let it cure for 72 hours then start prepping for the Monstaliner bedliner. Still got to weld up some holes in the windshield and prep the rest of the sheetmetal for paint.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:57 AM   #266 (permalink)

Member # 686026
When you wrapped your exhaust, did you soak the wrap in water first or wrap dry? Just curious..
erokj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 05:29 AM   #267 (permalink)

Member # 187666
Quote:
Originally Posted by erokj View Post
When you wrapped your exhaust, did you soak the wrap in water first or wrap dry? Just curious..
I wrapped it dry. I helped a buddy wrap his exhaust on a 41 Chevy truck with the same product, and we wrapped his dry. It depends on which product you get as to whether or not you apply it wet.

Here's what I used. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-010130

Last edited by lurch9; 01-02-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #268 (permalink)

Member # 187666
More paint. Hopefully done spraying. There are a few runs but oh well. I ain't no pro. It should look real good from 20ft away.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #269 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
The work you did on that tub is awesome. Looks great!
nofender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #270 (permalink)

Member # 187666
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofender View Post
The work you did on that tub is awesome. Looks great!
Thanks. I really appreciate it. It's turning out nicer than I expected.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #271 (permalink)

Member # 187666
Small update. Got the grill together. Really like the OD with flat black combo. Also installed the glass in the windshield frame. That is definitely not a one man job, luckily my father-in-law was available to help. Last pic is a closer shot of how the monstaliner turned out.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:21 AM   #272 (permalink)

Member # 187666
Got the interior sprayed today. So glad to be done with paint for the most part, still need to spray the cage black tho. Anyways, really happy with how it turned out. Gotta wait a few days for the Monstaliner to cure, then it's time to build! Also, pulled the exhaust again and used up the rest of my DEI exhaust wrap.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #273 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Looking good! I can't wait to see this thing move.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #274 (permalink)

Member # 187666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
Looking good! I can't wait to see this thing move.
Thanks man! I feel like I can see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #275 (permalink)

Member # 187666
Where to begin? That last 2 days have been very productive. Tues night I installed the DEI heat shield tunnel mat on the tunnel and the firewall near the exhaust. It's adhesive backed and easy to work with. I made every piece with cardboard before I cut into the sheet. Wanted to minimize scrap and all that.

I also deleted the EGR and the air injection tubes. I figured this would all be easier before the body was put back on. Made the engine look much nicer and cleaned off about 15ft of unnecessary vac tubing afterward.

Mounted up the rear armor and the firewall grommets too.

More to come.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in