Big Willy '48 CJ-2a - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 120092
Cool Big Willy '48 CJ-2a

I've been wanting to share my build on here for a while now but never felt the time was right.

Ok, so a few years back I bought this jeep off of my brother, who got it out of a treeline from his friend, he was going to build it but found an already built up CJ-5 that needed some love. I thought hey this jeep stuff seems pretty cool maybe I should get into it too.

When i got it it had all stock running gear minus a motor, it had had some sort of ford motor put in at some point. Had a crazy galvanized steel firewall and bald tires.

I decided that stock stuff was no good once I found this site. I chanced upon a '79 Jeep Comanche that was looking for a new home. AMC 360, T18, D20, D44 F/R perfect for my need.

We separated the Comanche body from its frame in the most humane way possible of course.

Then took the rolling chassis and the jeep tub back to my brothers garage. At this point things started to get a little out of hand.

I'm kinda tall so the stock seating area would not do. Plus the floors were rotten anyway. Cut out the floor and firewall and did a 14" stretch at the door.

We also noticed that the Comanche frame was close to matching the Willys tub... or close enough anyway. Cut 30ish inches from the middle and around 40 inches off the ass. Fish plated and boxed the back half of the frame for strength.

Went spring over with YJ leafs on new hangers.

And then eventually it looked like a Jeep again.

Finished the wiring, breaks, found some shocks, drive shafts, and a roll bar and took it for a test drive on the dunes.

Wheeled it a few times had some fun... Then overheated the motor after a weekend of problems with it. One last shot of it in all its glory.

Last edited by middayskulker; 09-30-2012 at 07:51 AM.
middayskulker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 04:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 120092
After two long years of letting it sit and rot while I moved around for work its finally time for the rebuild

The Plan

2x4 box frame
4 Link F/R
Fox 16" airshocks
Keeping the D44's
GM 5.3
Turbo 350 w/TCI RMVB
D300
PSC Full hydro
PRP seats

Large amounts of Jeep building awesomeness to follow....
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 04:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 55090
No pictures showing?
Gojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 04:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 120092
How bout now? I can see them

EDIT: Images work now... I suck at this stuff apparently.

Last edited by middayskulker; 09-30-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4962
great, looking forward to your build.....chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--my '48 build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'56 truck:

csutton7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
El Conquistador

Member # 208306
Very cool, I like .

Nice to see home budget builds, and Flatty's are just good lookin .

I learned to drive in one . With very little brakes, teaches caution .

Valley Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 153
Do you have any straight on front or rear pics? I'd like to see how far out those axles put your tires from the tub... Thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 120092
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecj5cj8 View Post
Do you have any straight on front or rear pics? I'd like to see how far out those axles put your tires from the tub... Thanks
Sorry I don't have any that I can find, but the inner edge of the tire is right at the edge of the tub.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 120092
Decided that the axles were the only thing that weren't hardcore on this build and would be a weak link. So they are for sale if anyone is interested.

Freshly built, 4.88 gears, Aussi Locker front, Spool rear, less than 50 miles on them.

Built Dana 44's for sale
Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 213940
Quote:
Decided that the axles were the only thing that weren't hardcore on this build and would be a weak link. So they are for sale if anyone is interested.
I run waggy narrow track axles on my 3A and love the width (roughly 60"), what are you thinking of switching to?
Yeager1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 62959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeager1 View Post
I run waggy narrow track axles on my 3A and love the width (roughly 60"), what are you thinking of switching to?
We are going to go to a 60/14 bolt. Alot of the issue is that the frame width im shooting for is 34" outside to outside, and with the airshocks, stuffs gonna make contact at full droop on one side with other side stuffed im afraid.

Also I'm a little worried about the 5.3 making swiss cheese of the 44 axleshafts in short order if it hooks up decent.

Brian (the brother building the jeep while MiddaySkulker is in Afghanistan)
Attached Images

Last edited by raptorider01; 10-02-2012 at 05:42 PM.
raptorider01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 62959
Well I'll try and keep up with this thread as I go along. I'm not real far into the actual rebuild as of yet, we have been gathering parts over the last few months, took the tub and had it sand blasted, and got the frame rails tacked in place to see what we've got.

The frame is 2x4 .125 wall box and we are going for a pretty serious stretch, 115" or so wheelbase. Also with the 5.3 being fairly wide, I wanted some room for exhaust and such to be tucked up in. Because of this we decided to go with 30" inside the frame rails.

Here is what I've gotten together so far.
Name:  IMG_0734.jpg
Views: 4078
Size:  60.4 KB

This tub has been reworked several times over its life, and we stretched it out when we initially built it 3 years ago. Once it got back from sandblast, there was actually some metal left, but the floor was a mess of patches and really just needed to be redone.

Started by just cleaning out the transmission hump.
Name:  IMG_0745.jpg
Views: 4030
Size:  55.1 KB
But I realized pretty quickly the whole thing needed rebuilt. Love the plasma!
Name:  IMG_0760.jpg
Views: 3985
Size:  56.8 KB
Here's a good shot With the fenders set on to give a little better perspective.
Name:  IMG_0758.jpg
Views: 3865
Size:  73.8 KB
Old 10-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 62959
I've also been doing some work on the motor and transmission. Got the reverse valvebody installed into the th350 along with the adapter for the dana 300. (sorry no pics of that) Waiting on the torque converter and it should be ready to bolt up.

The 5.3 is a fresh rebuild and has had the harness cut down and tuned. I went ahead and installed the ls1 oilpan, new flex plate with the spacer to run the th350 as well as the PSC power steering pump. One thing I didnt realize is that you have to cut the baffle down on a 5.3 to make the ls1 pan fit. Its not really documented anywhere that I could find, so here is a pic of where I cut it.
Name:  IMG_0748.jpg
Views: 3905
Size:  58.4 KB
The LS1 vs Stock pan
Name:  IMG_0746.jpg
Views: 4242
Size:  51.0 KB
New flexplate with correct pattern and spacer for torque converter snout
Name:  IMG_0751.jpg
Views: 5335
Size:  66.2 KB
PSC goodies for full hydro
Name:  IMG_0752.jpg
Views: 3859
Size:  61.2 KB
Heres the whole motor, has shorty headers already.
Name:  IMG_0749.jpg
Views: 4678
Size:  78.7 KB

The plan is to get the motor and trans located and then build the firewall and floor around that. Hoping to get to that later this week.

Brian
Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 3845
btw just fyi that was a Cherokee S 4dr model=(kinda rare) not a Comanche.Comanche was a pickup 84-9?

bet you could sell the body on International Full Size Jeep Association

btw i plan on building a cj2/3a soon with 360t18/d20.you got my attention!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 62959
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammeeks351 View Post
btw just fyi that was a Cherokee S 4dr model=(kinda rare) not a Comanche.Comanche was a pickup 84-9?

bet you could sell the body on International Full Size Jeep Association

btw i plan on building a cj2/3a soon with 360t18/d20.you got my attention!
Yeah that was a typo. The cherokee is long gone, that was late 2008 when we did the initial build up. Got all the good out of it we could, but really not much demand for those parts around here as they are pretty common still.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 120092
Ya sorry about the confusion, its been to long since the first build for me to remember all the details.

So some updates, pictures will follow from my brother soon.

D44's and the 37's have been sold and got D60/14b with 4.56 gears to replace them. Also have some almost new 39.5" IROKS being picked up next week. So should be pretty well setup now.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 62959
Small Update. Got all the parts gathered and I had a few spare minutes today so I mocked everything up.

112" wheelbase roughly, 21" frame height (will probably be an inch or 2 higher when its all said and done)

This should be roughly full bump. Going triangulated 4 link front and rear with 16" Fox 2.0's.

Name:  willysmockup1.jpg
Views: 8572
Size:  65.4 KB

Name:  willysmockup2.jpg
Views: 5992
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  willysmockup3.jpg
Views: 3793
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  willysmockup4.jpg
Views: 3591
Size:  55.9 KB

Hoping to get started on the links in the next week and get it tied together so it can roll!

Brian
Old 01-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 120092
Something's happening!

So after 4 more trips to Afghanistan new floors and tons of body work this jeep thing might actually get finished. I even have photographic evidence! The motor is mounted, axles are linked the rear of the tub has been dove tailed, most of the bumps and scrapes takes out of the tub a Spartan locker installed in the front and new diff covers front and rear. I don't have pictures of any of that though.

We decided to ditch the airshocks in the front and went to 14" FOA coil overs. Time will tell how good of a choice this was.

We were also able to bend some tube and get a cage done.

The goal was to match everything to the angle of the seats and windshield. We decided to cut down the windshield frame since it had been rebuilt before and was garbage. It is going to go under the knife again too so that only the willys logo will remain and I can actually see out of the windshield.

And of course we wanted it to look angry.

Last edited by middayskulker; 01-04-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 120092
We put the new Smittybilt X2O 10K winch on the front and some tubing to protect the grill and winch.

Did a "Tube Fender" to mount the coilovers from and mounted FOA airbumps the frame.

Testing out the droop and stuff.

Another picture cause pictures are awesome! Also shows the 7" LED "headlights'

The front end should be finished up soon with an Artec hydro mount, radiator and coolers mounted and then whatever else. Then the back end can get finished up. And a final picture for now.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 150996
Thank you for your trips to Afghanistan. Enlisted and serving? Thank You. That is quite the transformation there. Cage looks awesome. Very out of the box design. Glad to see your making progress. What sand dunes are those in the older pictures? Keep the pictures coming please.
baja4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 12:11 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 120092
I'm deployed as a gov contractor with the Army, but I'm enlisted in the Air National Guard as well. It's quite the transition when I get home and have to shave and actually be "military" again.

Those dunes are Waynoka OK. i imagine there will probably be some high speed testing done out there

More pictures should be coming soon once there is more progress.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:15 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 120092
Lots of big things have happened. My brother got the frame and cage all finished up and I have facebook messages full of painted things when I got to work today.

Best wind chimes ever

The links are painted the same as what the body will be. It looks amazing with the silver.

Frame and axles also got painted and its back as a roller.
Thats also an Atlas in place of the D300.

There is still some body work to be done but that will be the next thing to get painted then it's time for the real work to begin.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 140792
I just went through your build. It is proof of the old saying a project is never done. Your build is fantastic. Your compact CJ isn't so compact anymore.

Just curious, what, if any fenders are you going to run in the front? Your Jeep looks great.
Troop 2865 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 464625
Looking sweet! Was hoping to see some progress on this build
sigseth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2015, 01:34 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 120092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troop 2865 View Post
I just went through your build. It is proof of the old saying a project is never done. Your build is fantastic. Your compact CJ isn't so compact anymore.

Just curious, what, if any fenders are you going to run in the front? Your Jeep looks great.

We decided to ditch the stock fenders for looks and over all rigidity. We added a tube fender right under hood line that supports the hoop around the grill and the front shocks. Kansas thankfully doesn't have any fender laws so far

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in