1949 Willys Wagon Build - Page 23 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #551 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Nice! Progress!
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2017, 01:55 AM   #552 (permalink)

Member # 55090
So glad to see that this is still moving along.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:47 AM   #553 (permalink)

Member # 34347
Nothing to add other than really enjoy this build.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:23 AM   #554 (permalink)
mothfuckle

Member # 225557
VERY NICE
fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2017, 06:33 AM   #555 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
How do you like the AC/Heat so far? I know it's not working yet, but fit, quality, instructions? It is a vintage, right? Which model?

Thanks for sharing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2017, 07:45 AM   #556 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Waterhorse, The Restomod haymaker ac unit is legit. The company has a dedicated classic and custom line of which the haymaker is from. Impressed just about everything from the packaging to especially the wire looms which are color coordinated.

Back of the reactor controls and these single ac ducts are for the console and either side of the glove boxes and the double will be for the rear passengers. To tie in the ac ducts into the dash thinking of having the gauge bezel match the gun metal anodizing.

BTW amazing work on HEMTT!

http://www.restomodair.com

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 12-20-2017 at 08:18 PM.
49willys_mogon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2017, 05:06 PM   #557 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
I didn't know about this company. Thanks for the link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #558 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Out with the old...Got into the gauges today to get the D4 dash installed. The mounting plate should be ready next week and the gauges will go out to get restored.

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 12-19-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #559 (permalink)

Member # 355042
That's awesome Tom. So you're going to have the four auxiliary gauges restored (or upgraded). Would love to learn more. The new digital gauge will replace the central original speedo, right? What shop is going to do the work?

Can't wait to see more.
Scramboleer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #560 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4962
yea more info on the gauge stuff...

--my '48 build:

'56 truck:

csutton7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #561 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Dan/Chris, the D4 dash is one of many displays Life Racing offers and is a steering wheel display which was almost perfect size to fit in the speedo socket. The gauges are going to be converted to solid state which will be tied into the main harness to be a parallel connection/reading on the display/gauges so the resistances of the sending units are important for accuracy.

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 08-25-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #562 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Recently did some dumpster diving at the local bone yard.

Been looking at seats for awhile now and it came down to being on top of the seat or in the seat so the bench is out. Didn't want to buy new seats and have to re cover them to match final interior color. Settled on the E30 sport seats which flip forward for the rear passenger's and got both fronts for $120. Then started looking console jump seats and the dodge rams were on my short list. This one is from '14 and has USB and a lighter accessory lots of storage and cup holders. Also got a bunch of interior lights for the doors and map light.

Update: Mark reskinned the E30's. Came out great Decided the E30 seats were to far gone when pricing replacement foam, misc hardware and minor fabrication time. So got a good price on these expert m's and Mark is starting on installing the climate controls and since these are symmetrical we can use one of the seats to fab the mounts in the wagon.

Been looking around at different breathable material for the seats and saw these Singer basket weave seats and started digging into the how. The basket weave material can be sourced through Spinney Beck AUS and will cover the bolsters and backs in matching mtex...Later...For now we are getting pricing, samples of carpet and hyde.

The need to commit to a color is near.

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 01-24-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #563 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Seat heaters? The ones in my Beetle will cook you. Ze Germans know how to make a hot seat
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #564 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Been eyeing this setup.

Was at the upholsterers today and here is a shot of the guts gentherm kit...Notice the little copper radiator and this is the heat and cool air exchanger. It then blows into 2 honeycombs per seat/backrest.

This shot of the back side of the back rest is the where the fan and exchanger will sit. The fabric will need to be replaced with a backer board so the intake will be vented towards the bottom and will also add a little protection in the event of something compressing against the back of the seat.

Seat bottoms will appear and function the same way.

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 03-01-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #565 (permalink)

Member # 334185
My wife has the Katzkin leather w/heat seats in her JKU jeep. They are
so nice to have ...even in Texas.

Last edited by hizoot; 01-06-2018 at 03:29 PM.
hizoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #566 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Thanks for the feedback hizoot.

On the material type I'll be using mb tex vinyl. The Katzkin climate controls are around $900 a pair for heat and ac (another reason starting with the cheapest seats). From the research I've done the cold air is actually recirculated cabin air via computer like fans and looking at a couple other manufacturers to compare costs and quality. The foam on the donor seats is in good condition however don't want to chance only getting another x amount of years out of them so I'll need to redo the backs and bottoms with an aircraft rated foam.

Other climate control options

DONMAR Seating Comfort Upgrades

Roadwire | Leather Seats, Aftermarket Car Interior Upgrades and Road Safety

Foam

https://www.seatfoam.com/products.htm

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/31_9...m_21072-1.html

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...ing-foam-seats

Update: Bringing my seats to my local Katzkin Rep tomorrow and were going over installing the climate seats without the new material.

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 01-08-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #567 (permalink)

Member # 78325
So the seat thing escalated quickly.

Update: Last week my upholsterer Mark Luhr and I made measurements for the top and bottom of the bench seat.
We're planning on adding bolsters similar to the fronts so the seats appear similar to the fronts. They will be able to sit three but barely will have and center arm rest and heat.

For context this is how the interior of a stock wagon appears in the original sales brochure.

Random resto showing arm rests on the wheel wells. Found a set rare beehive ash trays.

Going to replicate with foam and strategically adding rod to the seat frames where they meet the wheel wells to match the buckets up front. Nice step by step here Custom Seat Build

Update: Bengals got started on a split back bench seat frame which are very close to a '32 ford. They will recline and have storage underneath.

Bob posted up a link here of some of the custom stuff they offer including 1941-46 2nd Generation suburban seats which look super close to original wagon seats.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...d-prod.615201/

Update: For the headliner I'm having the front, back and sides made out of aluminum which will make it easier for the making the headliner and to hide the roll cage and attach map lights to. This is how the from turned out.

Kick panels...The ones I have are similar to these and have the holes pre drilled and want hardware hidden and since my front doors are stretched need to make some decisions. Spent last Saturday at the hardwood place by me looking at veneers and hardwoods.

These door panels look sexy.

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 01-29-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #568 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 682169
That is funny! This whole build escalates quickly! I had to double check which thread I was reading when I saw the junkyard seats!
This is going to be a real nice ride, thanks for all the updates, it's always fun to follow.
WILLYN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #569 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Andy, no joke partial stereo will be next Can't start the wiring harness until ALL electrical components are mounted. Now I need to make things appear like sheet metal bumpers, power sliders to replace the middle manual windows.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #570 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 682169
Power windows is a great idea for those middle windows. I removed my vent windows and did a single power window.
It might actually be easier than messing with that stock setup.
WILLYN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2018, 06:06 AM   #571 (permalink)

Member # 9393
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49willys_mogon View Post
Andy, no joke partial stereo will be next Can't start the wiring harness until ALL electrical components are mounted. Now I need to make things appear like sheet metal bumpers, power sliders to replace the middle manual windows.
Hi Tom,

You call it "escalate"....I call it "Might As Well"..... tomato/tomato.

I was pretty sure about using the Katzkin setup myself for heated/cooled seats in the K5. Their system seems to pilfer parts from an OEM system used by Infiniti (IIRC). I remember seeing photos of the fans/Peltier cooler and cross-referenced the P/Ns to the original manufacturer. I don't know how strict they will ultimately be about selling the kit without "their" shop doing the required installation, but obviously I prefer to do as much of my own work as humanly possible.

Stereo: I have a great guy up in the San Jose, CA area if you want his number.... /wink /wink.

-G

Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #572 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg72 View Post
Hi Tom,

...don't know how strict they will ultimately be about selling the kit without "their" shop doing the required installation...

Stereo: I have a great guy up in the San Jose, CA area if you want his number.... /wink /wink.
Greg you are correct on Katzkin only selling through authorized dealers. Luckily for me my authorized dealer turned out to be the guy, Mark I wanted to do the interior for the wagon. So the Peltier system you describe sounds about right as Mark says it uses piezoelectric style computer fans and breathable material. So yea I could save a couple hundred bucks replicating my own but factoring my time into engineering one makes it a wash buying the kit. Just pricing materials for the carbon heat mats was essentially a wash. Will post pics of it for those that want to attempt it.

After watching a couple install the Katzkin kit looks identical to the gentherm kit.

https://youtu.be/pcwuF2_Sy9o

https://youtu.be/66JSqDfw46w

Stereo: "Your/Our" stereo guy in SJ moved on to installing systems into bay area mansions. Luckily my truck has one of his last mobile systems that will be transferred to the wagon.

BTW the Audi I was pilfering light bezels from had a very nice dynaudio system in it.

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 01-11-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #573 (permalink)

Member # 78325
~

K&N 3676 inside. Cold air intakes with 4" band clamps to the grill and box are in.

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 04-06-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #574 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49willys_mogon View Post

Factory heavy duty column turn signal
I like how this is coming along. I had a turn signal just like yours until some asshole stole it while I was having lunch. If you ever see another one please let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray Boudreaux
Shooting is gay.
D.A.V., M.O.P.H., N.R.A. Life Member
64Trvlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #575 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Hate thieves! Kevin got the turn signal on ebay. Seller was out of LA and got it in a couple days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in