1949 Willys Wagon Build - Page 9 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #201 (permalink)

Member # 323713
Pretty much finished up. Welded the rest of what needed to be done.

Flexed out.

Fab-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #202 (permalink)

Member # 323713
Still needs bumps and straps, but we have decided to move on to the front.

Full droop.

I wonder what it looks like with a spring?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #203 (permalink)

Member # 249041
This really needs to be shown at SEMA! Albeit not this year... I could imagine many build parts that could be kitted for sale off this R&D effort!
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #204 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 82435
Just found this thread. Awesome work. I've always wanted to see a cantilever setup on a crawler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

51 Ford

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

81 Cherokee
Rooney77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #205 (permalink)

Member # 78325
[QUOTE=Fab-X;20504074]Still needs bumps and straps, but we have decided to move on to the front.

Ordering a bunch of stuff...Strap clevises...heims...more sheet and tubing...and giving these a whirl out back...

Found a matching casting mock block 350 which will be used for the jeepster down the road. Picking that up and delivering with fenders for getting started up front.

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 11-05-2013 at 11:54 AM.
49willys_mogon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #206 (permalink)

Member # 161331
I would really rethink the Revolution shocks. I have first hand experiance with them. Would not use.........
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #207 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
I would really rethink the Revolution shocks
Will do...It was just an option that fell into my lap.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:03 AM   #208 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Got the mock block and tranny mounted up on Friday at Fab-x. Since this was the first time laying eyes on this I was humbled. All I can say is WOW! The scale is much larger in person. When toying with the rear articulation and the weight of the portals unloaded onto the jack stands you could feel the weight ripple through the garage slab as if you were standing next to a dinosaur stomping its foot.

This '84 350 SBC casting # is the same as my 383 '86-'94, the difference is supposedly this one is from a truck that came with a 4 bolt main and is easily convertible to a roller cam. As you can see below Fab-x will have his hands full wrestling this thing together.

On the hunt for a Saginaw 808 box. 25% larger piston than the 800 series box. TBD inside vs. outside frame rail leaning towards a 14:1 variable ratio.

Wadsorth Motorsports 1400 Ranger Built by Fabrication Unlimited supplied the inspiration

Update: Ordered the Saginaw 808 from Tommy Lee today which will take a couple weeks. In the mean time we will have mock box to get everything situated.

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 09-04-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #209 (permalink)

Member # 171057
holy cow. amazing work! I've been burning through an amazing amount of argon lately attempting to bring my tig skills to that level. Apparently i also need a band saw...
Old 09-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #210 (permalink)

Member # 323713
I'm not sure what drive line parts were supposed to be used for these 404 pinion flanges, but they don't fit standard Spicer 1350 u joint flanges.
The centering hole is too large and the bolt holes don't line up.

A pictorial of the fix.
Original pilot recess in 404 drive flange:

Diameter of standard Spicer 1350 flange yoke:

Holes don't work in any configuration:

Start with a clean face:

Cut new pilot:

7/16" pilot punch:

Old 09-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #211 (permalink)

Member # 323713
Re drill holes:

Radius holes:

Tighter than bark on a tree:
Old 09-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #212 (permalink)

Member # 78325
[QUOTE=Fab-X;20738353]I'm not sure what drive line parts were supposed to be used for these 404 pinion flanges, but they don't fit standard Spicer 1350 u joint flanges. The centering hole is too large and the bolt holes don't line up.

Sounds like Tibus/killeraxles is batting a thousand on these...Fahrvergnügen

"We started working with offroad vehicles, optimizing and building them, 30 years ago.

From the early days we focused on axle conversions, portal axles, winches (most of them being custom made prototypes) and development of new vehicle components.

With this background and wealth of experience, proven in rallyes and trophys from Croatia to the Breslau Rallye and from the glaciers of Iceland to the outbacks of Australia, we are the right partner for your ideas.

Wether it´s a conversion for travel, expedition, rallye or just your weekend buggy, we´ll offer advice and assistance to help you reach your goals."

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 09-05-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #213 (permalink)

Member # 323713
Yeah, I'm not going to bash Tibus. They were/are providing a service that hardly anyone else is doing.
It's possible they had a drive flange in mind when they machined it, I don't know. General Driveshaft didn't have an answer for it though, so we used a standard off-the-shelf Spicer flange yoke.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #214 (permalink)

Member # 78325
[QUOTE=Fab-X;20739361]Yeah, I'm not going to bash Tibus...

I'm not into bashing either...and willing to give the benefit of the doubt... understand their forging into uncharted waters when nobody was...however the workmanship on their product I received '06 hasn't improved my opinion at any point during this build. Since these axles were destined for the US you would think they would keep that in mind when designing a pinion conversion using "off the shelf parts."
Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #215 (permalink)

Member # 323713
[QUOTE=49willys_mogon;20739881]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab-X View Post
Yeah, I'm not going to bash Tibus...

I'm not into bashing either...and willing to give the benefit of the doubt... understand their forging into uncharted waters when nobody was...however the workmanship on their product I received '06 hasn't improved my opinion at any point during this build. Since these axles were destined for the US you would think they would keep that in mind when designing a pinion conversion using "off the shelf parts."
You suck at using the quote button, Tom

OK, I feel your pain. I ran into another small problem that should be taken care of.
The way they have the relief cut for the pinion bolt and washer is such that it doesn't bottom out on the pinion. The way it is now, the bolt is tightened against a flimsy washer that pulls the flange against the pinion bearing. The problem is there is an air gap, nothing to tighten against. Once the Flimsy washer distorts, the bolt comes lose and then chaos unfolds.

I'm going to cut the washer relief so that it's about .008" from the pinion, then make a 1/8" thick washer out of chromo. Finally, it get's Lock-Tight, which it didn't have before.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #216 (permalink)

Member # 78325
[QUOTE=Har69old4;20742137]Roof filled in with a donor from an Obama donor 70's era station wagon.

Oakley Sunglasses

Spamming on Pirate now...
Old 09-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #217 (permalink)

Member # 78325
[QUOTE=Fab-X;20741985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49willys_mogon View Post

You suck at using the quote button, Tom

OK, I feel your pain...
Fab-x to get to the point of the quotes I chose to keep it to the point...I'm very fortunate to have you making these right. What would the average Joe do if he were in my position?

When a company boasts 30 years of experience at doing something...You would expect these axles would be elementary for them at this point. Danatrac and currie have pretty solid reps and have been doing what they do for about a similar period.

When a third of the price of any delivered part gets eaten up on fixes and or work arounds I have every right to express frustration...Being lied to about these having CTIS...and not having CTIS...And what it will cost to get that back in...I guess I'll still be waiting for a groupon.

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 09-05-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #218 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 187456
CTIS...? What's that?
'r than gcc

If you fuckers actually took a second to read the words rather than knee jerk reacting to the pics, you might have a clue what his plan is.

EricsGreen98Tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #219 (permalink)

Member # 323713
Yeah, so I'm not too impressed with their axle work. You know, some people don't think they are doing a bad job, it's just their standard. It's like they don't know any better and they think they are doing a good job, or at least good enough.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #220 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
CTIS...? What's that?
Central Tire Inflation System.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #221 (permalink)

Member # 9393
Tom,

If you want CTIS you should reach out to Mac at eXaXt...

He's Canadian, but I wouldn't hold that against him.

It's a long-lead time item from him, and very expensive..... But if you want it, he can do it. That's where I got mine from.

-G

Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #222 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg72 View Post
Tom,

If you want CTIS you should reach out to Mac at eXaXt...

He's Canadian, but I wouldn't hold that against him.

It's a long-lead time item from him, and very expensive..... But if you want it, he can do it. That's where I got mine from.

-G
Greg, Thanks for the reference to Mac at eXaXt. We talked on monday about remedying some of the issues before I had a meltdown over the pinion yokes. eXaXt has a solid reputation and plan to fit those upgrades in when I can budget that back into the build. For now its on hold. Originally for me after all the research I had done on tibus at the time before ordering these 404's I felt comfortable knowing that they had vast experience under their belt... designed the t locker ect...I will remove all that flamage today but for time being...

https://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-T_locker/

Exhibit A: This email back from tibus was after about 3 phone conversations regarding the axles and what options I wanted. Notice the date 1/10 CTIS is clearly mentioned.

Exhibit B: Mysteriously CTIS doesn't appear in the invoice 1/13 after I sent my $$$ and the price matches the original quote from the email.

nuf said

Last edited by 49willys_mogon; 09-06-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #223 (permalink)

Member # 323713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49willys_mogon View Post
...I will remove all that flamage today but for time being...
Leave it. It's not flaming, you didn't get what you ordered and paid for. It's certainly happened to me a few times.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #224 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
CTIS...? What's that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
Central Tire Inflation System.

CTIS | Central tire Inflation System
Old 09-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #225 (permalink)

Member # 125646
Crazy cantilever build man. really unique
usethis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in