Buck's 46 Willys - Page 21 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #501 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
Hey awesome picture taker man, how about some pics of the new springs?

I would build the mounts for the bumpstops with some kind of adjustment in them. Maybe a shim stack or something that you can swap out to tune things in. As the springs wear in or on heavily loaded trips things might change.
Will grab some photos

Good idea on the adjustable bump stop, that's probably the way to go, just as simple as stacking shims I guess!
danielbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #502 (permalink)

Member # 229476
I got the radiator bracket attached again. Drove it to work today, and WOW, there really is hardly any vibration noise anywhere now.

Just the tail gate hooks, and the hood bouncing on the MB light brackets. I had rubber glued to the hood, but it didn't hold. I'll probably bolt-on some rubber pieces this time. I think with those two taken care of, I'll have a rattle free Willys. Imagine that

Oh, and found an old Warn 5687 winch, I'll eventually put that on the front (with synthetic line). Anyone know how much modification to the front needs to be done to mount a winch? I imagine for sure I'm going to need to remove the bumper and figure out a different bumper, but would the front of the frame be strong enough?

Last edited by danielbuck; 02-05-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #503 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
I got the radiator bracket attached again. Drove it to work today, and WOW, there really is hardly any vibration noise anywhere now.

Just the tail gate hooks, and the hood bouncing on the MB light brackets. I had rubber glued to the hood, but it didn't hold. I'll probably bolt-on some rubber pieces this time. I think with those two taken care of, I'll have a rattle free Willys. Imagine that

Oh, and found an old Warn 5687 winch, I'll eventually put that on the front (with synthetic line). Anyone know how much modification to the front needs to be done to mount a winch? I imagine for sure I'm going to need to remove the bumper and figure out a different bumper, but would the front of the frame be strong enough?
I would probably box the end of the rails if you can. It would be a perfect time to think about going to a modern steering box too I was able to bend one of my orignial frame rail horns pretty easy....hence my new frame.

If you use 2x3 box tubing for the bumper I think you can sneak the upper mounting holes above the tube and the still have enough room under the bumper for the hawse.

B4wscrambler did a really nice upright sunken winch mount on his Part Due build with using a stock based flat fender frame.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #504 (permalink)

Member # 229476
I do have a press brake on a 20 ton press, so I can bend some plate if I have to. I'll start mocking it up sometime
Old 02-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #505 (permalink)

Member # 5326
If you need parts for that winch Herm the Overdrive Guy seems to have the best selection right now....

Parts and Accessories | Herm The Overdrive Guy

You can't get everything, but these old winches don't seem to wear out too fast. I have been really happy with how mine pulls for a '6000lb' winch. I have the even older Belleview version.

It's neat, but for real work I would rather have the newer 8274 version with the in/out motor and modern brake system. I do like that mine came off a jeep that got the factory dealer winch option in something like 1973 though
Old 02-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #506 (permalink)

Member # 16901
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
This is how we strengthened the front of mine, different winch but I have not tweaked the rails, even plowing with it:

The DS rail is boxed and extended up/raised so we could get the steering box higher (large bore J20 box). The bumper is no longer structural, it is just a cover.

Later we did this when we added the plow mount, it also will double as a vice mount.

Last edited by jeepfreak81; 02-07-2014 at 12:03 PM.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #507 (permalink)

Member # 229476
thanks for the photos!

I'm gonna try my old bumpstops from my TJ onto the back of the willys, I think they are a good bit longer
Old 02-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #508 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Finally, got most of the intake finished. I thought about it for a while, then decided I wanted the canister on the back of the fender. Fits real nice! And the engine is suprisingly alot quieter now. I'm kind of shocked at how quiet this thing is, compared to how it used to be with no intake, and huge holes in the floor and firewall, and before almost all of the vibrations/rattles were taken care of.

Drilling the hole was interesting because I couldn't drill is straight on, I was at something like a 15 degree angle to the metal, but it wasn't to bad. it's a very tight fit, which I like. Used a 2 1/8" hole saw, and then filed it out just slightly and it's a snug fit.

I will probably paint the canister OD green.

And I need to decide on what type of cap to put on the canister, to keep rain water from coming in. The simplest would be a 90 degree bend and then a tractor "mushroom" cap, but we'll see. I'm gonna start looking around the internet to see what options there are. I MAY make a shield for it to block any potential spray from rain water that may billow out of the fender, but since it doesn't rain here very often, I won't do that just yet.

Last edited by danielbuck; 02-08-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #509 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Did you pass the hose right through the hole? You might want to stick some edge guard on it or something. I would think vibration might eat through the hose after time? Maybe weld in a section of tubing with your new tig welder to the cowl panel and then connect a hose to either side?

Neat mod. I think the engine will be MUCH happier sucking cool air from outside the engine compartment.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #510 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Did you pass the hose right through the hole? You might want to stick some edge guard on it or something. I would think vibration might eat through the hose after time? Maybe weld in a section of tubing with your new tig welder to the cowl panel and then connect a hose to either side?

Neat mod. I think the engine will be MUCH happier sucking cool air from outside the engine compartment.
Yea, I thought about doing that, some sort of large grommet. But it's such a tight fit, that I don't think it will be a problem. I literally had to twist and push it through the hole, it doesn't flop around at all. And I filed and sanded down the edges real good.

If it's a problem though, I can always to back and grind the hole a bit larger, and do something else. The tube idea sounds neat!

I'm suprised at how much air is sucked through the filter, even at idle.

Last edited by danielbuck; 02-08-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #511 (permalink)

Member # 98895
Send a message via AIM to dezrik Send a message via MSN to dezrik Send a message via Yahoo to dezrik
Do you think the filter canister will suck more dirt in that position? I know on our heavy equipment with a similar canister collect a lot of dust when they are close to moving objects like rad fan, tires etc.
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #512 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
Do you think the filter canister will suck more dirt in that position? I know on our heavy equipment with a similar canister collect a lot of dust when they are close to moving objects like rad fan, tires etc.
It might, if I'm behind a vehicle offroad. But I'm not to worried about it. I look at the inside of my TJ's engine bay, and it's COVERED with dust after each offroad trip. So I can't imagine it would be a whole lot worse outside the engine bay.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #513 (permalink)

Member # 98895
Send a message via AIM to dezrik Send a message via MSN to dezrik Send a message via Yahoo to dezrik
I Guess there is a lot of surface area on the filter in that setup
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #514 (permalink)

Member # 16901
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
I'd think you would want to put a pipe on and bring it up like a snorkel. One good water splash and water is going right in that inlet, especially in the rain or a water crossing.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #515 (permalink)

Member # 9307
X2 for a snorkel, it would look factory, What is the canister from, I may borrow that idea it looks great.

Last edited by Mr.RatBastard; 02-09-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Mr.RatBastard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #516 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RatBastard View Post
X2 for a snorkel, it would look factory, What is the canister from, I may borrow that idea it looks great.
The canister is from a Kubota tractor.

As for the cap, I'm going to put a 60 degree bend on the intake there, and put a little rain cap on it. 60 degrees will set it pretty darn near to level.

Last edited by danielbuck; 02-09-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #517 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Oh, so when I spray the canister OD green, maybe I'll stencil on some text (fairly small). Any ideas on something funny to spray on there? Something that might give a few folks a chuckle or two when they read it.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #518 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Oh, so when I spray the canister OD green, maybe I'll stencil on some text (fairly small). Any ideas on something funny to spray on there? Something that might give a few folks a chuckle or two when they read it.
I'd put something about fording depth.

'If water depth gets to 'here' call 1-800-new-engine"

And get me some pics of your springs you lazy bastage! geeeessss!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #519 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:

And get me some pics of your springs you lazy bastage! geeeessss!
haha! Will do I was planning on doing that when I get the bump stops on there, just haven't had time to. Had to work both days this weekend

Last edited by danielbuck; 02-10-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #520 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
haha! Will do I was planning on doing that when I get the bump stops on there, just haven't had time to. Had to work both days this weekend
Just giving you a pirate hard time reminder!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #521 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 20609
Quote:

I like it!! You could turn the air canister and have the intake tube go into the cowl to get fresh air from behind the dash.

Last edited by 1972Blazer; 02-11-2014 at 06:35 AM.
1972Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #522 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972Blazer View Post
I like it!! You could turn the air canister and have the intake tube go into the cowl to get fresh air from behind the dash.
That actually was my original idea, to have the canister under the dash. But I didn't want to have the additional noise that comes through the intake. In hind sight, the noise probably isn't as loud as I thought it would be though, when I stand next to the canister and rev the engine, it's not all that loud coming from the canister.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #523 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:

I think i found a good sticker for the air canister

Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #524 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 195073
I like it, can you get it in flat black?

Skip
Old 02-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #525 (permalink)

Member # 229476
might try to design a stencil like it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in