Buck's 46 Willys - Page 68 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #1676 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFascist View Post
What are the exact dimensions of the fuel tank? If it's a standard shape, I'm pretty sure you could find something at Summit that will fit the bill and be far less hassle.

You can definitely weld a tank if you do proper prep work - I used a few pounds of dry ice to push the fuel vapor from my tank when I cut the hole for the sending unit. There are plenty of guides on how to weld your gas tank safely on YouTube.

You could also take the cell out and have it fixed professionally. I have used J and J Fab in Santa Clara to weld aluminum when I didn't trust myself. He does great work.

J & J Fabrication | Bay Area Fabrication
I'd need to measure again, but when I originally put the tank in, I'm pretty sure I got the closest off-the-shelf size that would fit. I'll measure it up.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:49 PM   #1677 (permalink)

Member # 133593
I can't see any of your pics for some reason
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #1678 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
I can't see any of your pics for some reason
I suspect it's either because I don't have a star anymore, or they have blocked hot-linked images. All the photos work if you copy the link and view that directly in the browser.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #1679 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Boyd Welding will make you just about any tank shape you can dream up. Prices aren't too bad. Very high quality marine tank maker. I love my triangle 18 gallon tank in Rango. Having them add a sump so you dont have to have fuel lines in the cab is great too.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #1680 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 35484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
Boyd Welding will make you just about any tank shape you can dream up. Prices aren't too bad. Very high quality marine tank maker. I love my triangle 18 gallon tank in Rango. Having them add a sump so you dont have to have fuel lines in the cab is great too.
Do you still happen to have the plans, they are semi local to me and building a gpw?
williamj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #1681 (permalink)

Member # 229476
had a little time today, so I pulled the tool chest and fuel cell. Can't really see anything on the fuel cell, but I wiped it down real good, and with about 1/2 a gallon or so in there, I tipped it up 45 degrees on the side that the fuel was leaking from, and after 20 minutes or so I see a small area of fuel on the concrete. So, the tank is definitely leaking.

I'll take some measurements tomorrow, and post those up.

Sucks that I can't post photos anymore, I don't want to buy another star since the Canadians aren't maintaining this forum very well, I don't want to give them any money. I'll see if google photos links will work. I've had my own web space for nearly 20 years now, and this is the FIRST forum that the photos have ever stopped showing up for.

Testing a link, click on this and you should see a photo, in the mean time I'll just do this. http://www.404photography.net/wip/bed_rails_07.jpg

Last edited by danielbuck; 09-15-2018 at 03:54 PM.
danielbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #1682 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
had a little time today, so I pulled the tool chest and fuel cell. Can't really see anything on the fuel cell, but I wiped it down real good, and with about 1/2 a gallon or so in there, I tipped it up 45 degrees on the side that the fuel was leaking from, and after 20 minutes or so I see a small area of fuel on the concrete. So, the tank is definitely leaking.

I'll take some measurements tomorrow, and post those up.

Sucks that I can't post photos anymore, I don't want to buy another star since the Canadians aren't maintaining this forum very well, I don't want to give them any money. I'll see if google photos links will work. I've had my own web space for nearly 20 years now, and this is the FIRST forum that the photos have ever stopped showing up for.

Testing a link, click on this and you should see a photo, in the mean time I'll just do this. http://www.404photography.net/wip/bed_rails_07.jpg
The link works.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #1683 (permalink)

Member # 229476
The fuel cell I have now is an RCI RCI-2161A, which is 9" wide, 12" tall and 30" long. 15 gallons (sufficient for me, but I'd always like more capacity) the only dimension I can extend easilly is the length, I could extend it to 35" from 30". I don't see anything off-the-shelf that fits, that, so I've just ordered an exact replacement. And I will put additional rubber padding on all sides that are near contact to metal. I suspect flexing and twisting brought the fuel cell into contact with sheet metal on the tub.

Previously I had nice thick soft padding on the bottom of the fuel cell, but nothing on the sides. I left a small gap thinking it wouldn't contact, but maybe it did. Still not sure what caused the leak, I don't see any obvious signs. So I'm going to go the insane route and replace it with the exact same part haha

The replacement fuel cell will get me back on the road, and at worst case it's back to how it was, but hopefully with no leak in another 5 years.

Last edited by danielbuck; 09-23-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #1684 (permalink)

Member # 104219
From my understanding these RCI tanks like to leak eventually around the welds but they're so darn convenient and they have good aftermarket support.

We need more photos!
Old 09-25-2018, 05:37 PM   #1685 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que_Honda! View Post
From my understanding these RCI tanks like to leak eventually around the welds but they're so darn convenient and they have good aftermarket support.

We need more photos!
I wonder if they could be lined with something, some sort of coating on the inside?

Last edited by danielbuck; 09-25-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #1686 (permalink)

Member # 104219
You could but I'm not sure that would stop a leak if the welds crack. I think what hurts these tanks is that there aren't any ribs inside to support it from flexing. Especially in our super flexy old Willys!
Old 09-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #1687 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 35484
Even newer jeeps with full(not c channel) frames have this issue. If you have the extra money brackets like this solve a lot of the issues. This is just one of many examples and I have no affilitation.

https://www.barnes4wd.com/RCI-2161A-...ket_p_820.html
williamj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #1688 (permalink)

Member # 229476
the new replacement tank is in place, and the Willys is back on the road :-)

I do think I'm going to change up how I have it mounted. My photos aren't showing up anymore, but basically I have it mounted with the straps, that have rubber isolators on both sides of the tub. And the tank itself is sitting on about 3/4" thick "soft" rubber mat with large holes in it, one of those anti-fatigue mats for machine operators.

Drove it on the freeways to and from work Monday and Tuesday, cruising 60mph doesn't make me much of a road block when there's 2 or 3 other lanes.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #1689 (permalink)

Member # 9026
Send a message via AIM to desertCJ
A little late but, the problem with the aluminum cells especially the larger ones is that the fuel flexes the plates and work hardens the joints at the welds. My uncle got out put out of KOH for that very reason. Cell wasnt even 6 months old. We have had good luck with the poly cells. No problems. I will go poly in a steel shell next time.

Last edited by desertCJ; 10-03-2018 at 03:45 PM.
desertCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #1690 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertCJ View Post
A little late but, the problem with the aluminum cells especially the larger ones is that the fuel flexes the plates and work hardens the joints at the welds. My uncle got out put out of KOH for that very reason. Cell wasnt even 6 months old. We have had good luck with the poly cells. No problems. I will go poly in a steel shell next time.
I was thinking something similar. Instead of a bladder, just get a plastic tank, pad it and mount it inside a steel sheet metal box. If I have trouble with this 2nd tank (first one lasted probably 5+ years?) I may go that route.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #1691 (permalink)

Member # 229476
if it ain't one thing, it's another, HAH! I have a feeling a cracked part of the clutch disk, or one of the clutch springs, driving to work I heard a crunch, and then it was jumpy getting started from a stop (2nd, I start in 2nd). I got to work, and then that evening limped it home 50 miles. It seemed to drive ok on the way home, so I'm betting whatever cracked got wedged into the clutch disk, and then either got ground away to nothing, or fell into the bell housing.

Well, I guess I'm gonna park it, it's starting to get a bit too cold to drive it in the mornings and evenings (upper 40s to lower 50s in the morning and evening), and we're about to hit rainy season.

I do have a larger and hopefully stronger clutch, pressure plate and flywheel sitting in the garage, I'll put those in sometime this winter. Hopefully my workshop can get started this winter, so maybe by spring I'll have a workshop to work in :-)
Old 10-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #1692 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 422178
What are you doing for a bigger, better clutch?

-1941 slatt grill
-1944 GPW
-1946 2A
-1948 2A
-1951 M38
-1954 diesel 3B
thefixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2018, 07:52 AM   #1693 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefixxer View Post
What are you doing for a bigger, better clutch?
I can't remember what it is right now, it's packed away since my move, I've got it here in the garage though. It was one that Greg at overland diesel sent me a while back, and I never got around to putting it on.

Last edited by danielbuck; 10-15-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #1694 (permalink)

Member # 229476
I believe I've made the adjustment needed to my web hosting for photos to display here on pirate again. They seem to be working for me, do they work for everyone else?

Old 01-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #1695 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 422178
They are working. But I can't see your Jeep!!

-1941 slatt grill
-1944 GPW
-1946 2A
-1948 2A
-1951 M38
-1954 diesel 3B
thefixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in