Pirate 4x4 banner

Project Willys MB LSX 2013 (Chile)

298K views 544 replies 98 participants last post by  46WILYZ 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok Mieser, here we go....

Starting a new thread….I can not believe all this build BS again….ahaha.
For the ones that don't understand why I`m starting all over again, I will recapitulate the events of the last year.
After attending Ultimate Adventure 2013, I left my Flatty at Pewe´s house. The plan was to keep it there for 1 year (that was the permitted time of the temporary admission) and use it on my continuos trips to Ca.
Well, in october I was getting ready to fly to Ca for work and make a trip to the Hammers with Rick and a few other friends. One week before taking off, I received a phone call from a chilean guy (car collector) that fall in love with my Jeep and the story behind.
He told me several times that he "needed" my MB and I answered every time "is not for sale". Long story short, I threw him a BIG number thinking that he would say, "no way, I understood the message" but instead, he asked me to ship it back to Chile right away.
Whatever….here I am, writing a new story. I still have mixed feelings. In one hand, I`m sad to let her go. After all, it was a really fun jeep to drive, VERY reliable, it got a lot of looks and the story behind was kind of cool. In the other hand, business is business and I have the opportunity to build my dream Flatty and still have coins for the pocket.

So….what it matters.

Specs:

New Repro MB body.
Custom 4x2 Chasis
Currie F9´s, 4,11 gears, Detroit at the rear, ARB up front.
Atlas 4 Speed, 2,0/2,72/5,44 ratios.
Rossler TH 400.
LSX 454 Engine (LS7 Intake).
17" Walkers
37" Krawlers.
Front suspension: 3 link + Panhard, FOX 2,0 COs.
Rear suspension: 4 link, FOX 2,0 COs.
WB: 100"

Weight is a KEY factor on all my builds, so I will try to make this one as light as possible. Target is below 4K; 3,6K will be great, 3,8K is still ok.

We started last week. At this point, we are working on the frame. We already cut the body to add 10" at the door (kind of suck to kill a new body, but well…).
I will try to post all details of the build with pics. I will be more than happy to receive all your good ideas and discuss any stage of the build.

Regards
Sebastian

The day I received the body kit

The crime.....

See less See more
#3 ·
The day the axles arrived :smokin:

3" Tubes, rear is low pinion, front is high pinion with Dana 60 outers. All shafts have 35 splines.
Both are 63" wide, 5x5,5 bolt pattern...like a REAL Jeep :D

#13 · (Edited)
Will do that.
Thanks to all for the good reception.
I'm very exited with this project. I have every detail of the build in my mind....now we just need to wrench.
I forgot to address 2 important concepts of the build; of course it has to be street legal beacause I love to drive my Jeeps in town. Second, the look is VERY important to me. I enjoy a lot searching for vintage accesories to make it unique. My old MB had the original First Aid kit !
This one won't be olive drab though......

#7 ·
Oh hell yeah!! About time to see this thing get going!!! Can't wait to see the progress Sebastian!! Stoked.

#15 ·
Fishplates ready to be weld.
The rear ones have the mounts for the tube of the Antirock.
I need to thank Tonny Pellegrino @ Genright. He has been a huge help, letting me take lots of pics and videos to the Jeeps he was building, when I visited him last october.

#16 ·
Cool stuff.

How is the rear antirock tube going to fit with the rear driveline? Is there going to be a subframe type thing to allow the transfer case to be a little lower in the chassis?

#17 · (Edited)
About the stretch....

I wanted a longer WB. There are too many reasons for that, but for me the more importants were:

>Better ride (Im getting old :D)
>Capability to climb.
>The mix of big power and a short WB is not good. It could be fun for a moment, but then you want something with better handling.
>More space to get in and out of the Jeep (again, Im getting old :D:D)
>Posibility to use rails on the seat so I can adjust the position.
>Posibility to bolt the seats 100% to the front floor. With that, I can make a cage 3"-4" lower :smokin:

So the WB will be set at 100". How ?

10" at the door
7" at the hood
2" moving forward the rear axle.

#20 ·
With 37" tires and LSX power that Currie high 9" drop in may not last long. They actually use an 8.8" ring and pinion from a Ford Explorer/Ranger TTB. You may end up needing to go with a True Hi-9 drop in... Much stronger!

#24 ·
*edit* what do you think about the reproduction tub? Good enough quality, relatively straight, similar or not to a real/original, etc?
Overall it looks ok. Most of the bad feedback you read on the web, is related with the way the different parts match/bolt (i.e hood against the tub, fenders etc.).
In this case I won`t be using the hood and fenders.

#27 ·
And.

If you lower the seats to the floor I would look for a 3B windshield. Mine seats are about 1-2" off the floor and reclined a lot. I have a pretty dang long torso and can JUST see the end of the hood through the MB windshield.

The MB and 3B windshield are about the same height but the 3b has the glass about 3-4" lower. It would work out a LOT better. I have been thinking about changing.

I will say the lowered seating position rocks for how the vehicle feels. The closer you can get you butt to the center of gravity of the vehicle the better I think. Plus, now the door sill makes a great arm rest....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.