Quick Questions for Quick Answers - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 03:27 AM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 29341
Low back bucket front suspension seats and rear :

What brand are you guys using? I like the look of the corbou in vinyl black but have had bad results with them in the past with their cloth seats and quality.

Any wear and tear on or comments of how they have held up?

For the rear I want it to match but retain the look of a stock non suspension seat and they sell one that fit the bill too.

Thanks for any input
supersize75k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 229476
I've got a set from Twisted Stitch. I've had them for probably a year now, and they sit un-covered outside every night (well, un covered accept for the cloth bikini top on my jeep).

They are very comfortable. I got mine with the short bottom cushion (like a UTV seat?), and in black vinyl. They hold you in the seat well enough to feel real good, but they aren't difficult to get in and out of. They are perfectly fine for a daily driver.

The head rest is removable. If you don't want it at all, you can have them make the seat without the mounting holes for the head rest at all.

It's their "Apex" seat. Apex

They make bench seats as well. Very nice folks, I called them up, told them what I wanted in a seat, they asked me a few more questions, and made them for me. Completely happy with them

Last edited by danielbuck; 03-21-2014 at 10:55 AM.
danielbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 5326
I'd throw a vote in for PRP seats. They have a 'drain' option now in the bottom that would be really handy in a open flat fender. They offer is with the side by side size seats and will add conventional tabs or mounts to whatever frame you want.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #129 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 157054
I have the corabeau seats for the last 8 yrs with no problem. Still work and have held up great. I have the vinyl and cloth combo suspension seats. Just bought in for the rear for my son! No problems here
Old 03-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 229476
So I have a few things that I want to TIG weld with 220 power. I only have 110 power at home, but a few friends of mine have 220 like for their drier, or in their garage.

However, the plugs don't look like what I have on my machine (my machine is dual voltage). I need to find a wall plug that looks like this,

Can they be adapted, or what's the best way to go about plugging into 220 when the connections don't match?

Regular 110 on the left, and the 220 plug from my machine on the right. It looks like just an double-sized 110 plug.

Last edited by danielbuck; 03-21-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 98895
Send a message via AIM to dezrik Send a message via MSN to dezrik Send a message via Yahoo to dezrik
Is your dryer electric or Gas?

The socket you need is a 50a
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #132 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 157054
Just go to Home Depot. Bring the plugs if you can. They have all sorts of electrical plugs to choose from. Buy some of the bulk wire and make an adapter if you need too! Be relatively cheap.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 538
As Mykul said, buy one of those receptacles to fit your welder and a male plug to fit your friend's socket, and wire it up with some awg12 or heavier for use at your friends' place.

It's possible that you have 220V service but no outlets in your garage. Turn off each and every breaker in your panel, and carefully map out which breakers go to which garage outlets. If you have outlets reasonably close to each other which are controlled by breakers on different sides of the bus bars in the breaker box, you can also make a cable for home. Use a socket that fits your welder plug. Connect two 110V plugs, wire the hot side from one to one of the blades, and the hot side from the other one to the other blade. Tie the grounds together and run them to the round pin. Tie the neutrals together, insulate and fold them back out of the way. Use a meter and show that you have 220V between the blades, and 110V between each blade and the ground pin. Some newer 4-wire 220V plugs would use the neutrals, but that isn't what you have.

When I was in grad school my landlady told me to "go ahead and get that clothes dryer" I had asked her about, her electrician would put in an outlet for me. When it became obvious that no such oulet would be coming, I fabricated a jumper cable of this type, and nothing was ever said about it. Although I am quite sure that it doesn't meet any electrical code anywhere, it worked fine.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
Is your dryer electric or Gas?
gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
The socket you need is a 50a
Thanks! At least I know what it's called now, haha :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykul View Post
Just go to Home Depot. Bring the plugs if you can. They have all sorts of electrical plugs to choose from. Buy some of the bulk wire and make an adapter if you need too! Be relatively cheap.
Hm, that sounds like a good idea! :-) I think I'll do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
It's possible that you have 220V service but no outlets in your garage. Turn off each and every breaker in your panel, and carefully map out which breakers go to which garage outlets. If you have outlets reasonably close to each other which are controlled by breakers on different sides of the bus bars in the breaker box, you can also make a cable for home. Use a socket that fits your welder plug. Connect two 110V plugs, wire the hot side from one to one of the blades, and the hot side from the other one to the other blade. Tie the grounds together and run them to the round pin. Tie the neutrals together, insulate and fold them back out of the way. Use a meter and show that you have 220V between the blades, and 110V between each blade and the ground pin. Some newer 4-wire 220V plugs would use the neutrals, but that isn't what you have.

When I was in grad school my landlady told me to "go ahead and get that clothes dryer" I had asked her about, her electrician would put in an outlet for me. When it became obvious that no such oulet would be coming, I fabricated a jumper cable of this type, and nothing was ever said about it. Although I am quite sure that it doesn't meet any electrical code anywhere, it worked fine.
I talked to my landlord way back a few years ago about getting 220 put in, but he said I'd probably be fine welding the things I'm welding with 110 (for my furniture and stuff, that's true!). I'll bring it up with him again next time I see him, I told him I'd gladly pay for the electrician's bill to have it put in properly. I don't want to mickey-mouse anything on the house, I'd rather just have it done properly by an electrician, electricity scares me Especially after our neighbors house caught fire a few weeks ago due to bad wiring in the attic. It didn't burn down, but it burned pretty good.

Last edited by danielbuck; 03-21-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 144281
Would a small vacuum leAk cause a MAP code to pop up? Code P0107 on my 4.3

I'm sick of throwing money at this thing hoping it will fix it. I did tap into the intake and install a nipple for the vacuum modulator line going to my TH350. The tranny shifts like it should, so I don't think it's the vacuum module.

The engine is running like crap. Stalling, hard starting like its flooding, and seriously lacking power.
wesfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 231011
Best way to cut the hole for shackles

So I was practicing on cutting the openings with a plasma cutter and a 4.5' angle grinder. my question is when using the grinder the cuts that go past where I need open can those just be welded shut? Also I was thinking of cutting the back hole a little bigger and then welding the mount to a plate then sticking the mount through and welding the plate on the backside to the bumper or should I just protrude it a little and weld or make it flush and weld and then around the mount on the front. Is that over kill? Every pic is upside down for some dumb reason but it doesn't matter. Thanks
Attached Images

h8sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8sprint View Post
So I was practicing on cutting the openings with a plasma cutter and a 4.5' angle grinder. my question is when using the grinder the cuts that go past where I need open can those just be welded shut? Also I was thinking of cutting the back hole a little bigger and then welding the mount to a plate then sticking the mount through and welding the plate on the backside to the bumper or should I just protrude it a little and weld or make it flush and weld and then around the mount on the front. Is that over kill? Every pic is upside down for some dumb reason but it doesn't matter. Thanks
Mine were set flush and welded, filled in the extra cuts from the grinder with weld also. They have held up great so far on the jack stands!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #138 (permalink)

Member # 29341
I used them on my last buggy and will be using them on the willys.

How I did it was a plate welded to the end of the shackle mount, slide it through from the back and welded the plate and the front. This way it has a ton of surface area and can never pull through.

That said..I'm pretty hard on things so I tend to over build

Thanks for the seat input. I'm torn between the twisted stitch seats and the corbeau. I have twisted stitch seats in my buggy and do love them.

Hopefully I can decide Monday.
Attached Images

Last edited by supersize75k5; 03-23-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 231011
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersize75k5 View Post
I used them on my last buggy and will be using them on the willys.

How I did it was a plate welded to the end of the shackle mount, slide it through from the back and welded the plate and the front. This was it has a ton of surface area and can never pull through.

That said..I'm pretty hard on things so I tend to over build

Thanks for the seat input. I'm torn between the twisted stitch seats and the corbeau. I have twisted stitch seats in my buggy and do love them.

Hopefully I can decide Monday.

I think that is what I'm going to do to. Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 29341
I think I'm abusing this thread but I love the dialog,

What are you guys with 9 slot grills doing for your replacement headlights and turns? I'd like to keep it set back but go more modern at the same time, led turns probably

I had also saw a build with a led black out light on the driver fender, was that new or modified?

Other thoughts are guages, looking at GPS speedometers, anyone do a set of nice ones th a time have held up?

Last edited by supersize75k5; 03-24-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersize75k5 View Post
I think I'm abusing this thread but I love the dialog,

What are you guys with 9 slot grills doing for your replacement headlights and turns? I'd like to keep it set back but go more modern at the same time, led turns probably

I had also saw a build with a led black out light on the driver fender, was that new or modified?

Other thoughts are guages, looking at GPS speedometers, anyone do a set of nice ones th a time have held up?
There are modern replacement headlights that will fit in the factory style MB/GPW housings. Older thread here with some links...

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...eadlights.html
Old 03-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #142 (permalink)

Member # 229476
I have KC driving lights on mine. THey seem to work fine, accept for the plastic mounting bracket for them, they tend to slowly creep out of aim, I have to adjust them every week or so. Wish it were metal, maybe I can come up with something.

I got a question. I'd like to wire up an hour-meter to my jeep. I don't want to have it trigger from my main power switch, because sometimes I accidentally leave it on when I shut the motor off. My thought was that I could have the hour-meter run off of the alternator charge wire that goes back to the battery. But then I realized, since it's attached to the battery, there would always be power there anyway.

Any thoughts or ideas? I have heard of some hours meters on tractors being triggered by oil pressure. I'm not sure I'd like to go that route, as far as I know the only oil pressure port is already being used by my oil pressure gauge. I could probably put in a T-fitting, but not sure if that's a good idea or not??
Old 03-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #143 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141981
Send a message via ICQ to 46WILYZ
What style alternator do you have. The 3 wire gm alternators can run a hour meter, from what I have read.

You could also get a 2 or 3 prong oil pressure switch (like I used for my electric fuel pump) and wire it in.

Last edited by 46WILYZ; 03-24-2014 at 01:51 PM.
46WILYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1946CJ2 View Post
What style alternator do you have. The 3 wire gm alternators can run a hour meter, from what I have read.

You could also get a 2 or 3 prong oil pressure switch (like I used for my electric fuel pump) and wire it in.
I have a 1 wire alt. ALthough there is one or maybe 2 other studs that look like they might be some sort of power connectors? I'm not sure, I'd have to look at it again.

Last edited by danielbuck; 03-24-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #145 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 157054
Do you guys run the flat or domed lights in the MB GRILLE
Old 03-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 231011
[QUOT E=Mykul;24834914]Do you guys run the flat or domed lights in the MB GRILLE[/QUOTE]
I'd like to find flat. Looks better IMO. For turns I have stock front 09 HD street glide

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #147 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykul View Post
Do you guys run the flat or domed lights in the MB GRILLE
signal lights? Mine are flat. I like that better, they are inset, so they kind of match the headlights that are inset.

Last edited by danielbuck; 03-24-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #148 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141981
Send a message via ICQ to 46WILYZ
I ran led flush mount lights. They only have a single wire, but I used a trailer light converter and was able to have parking lights and turn signals all in one.

I actually used two trailer converters, one wired liked this How to Add Turn Signals and Wire Them Up and for the front, I wired the parking light wire to brake light in wire. I then conected the blinker wires to the lights. It works great!

Not a mb but

Last edited by 46WILYZ; 03-24-2014 at 05:34 PM.
46WILYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 305737
I used a clear lens domed glass high/low beam aircraft lights in original blackout buckets without the black out cover. My turn signals are a simple trailer marker light.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattyflatty View Post
I used a clear lens domed glass high/low beam aircraft lights in original blackout buckets without the black out cover. My turn signals are a simple trailer marker light.

Ratty,

How about a write-up and thread for the rebuild on your flatty?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in