Quick Questions for Quick Answers - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #176 (permalink)

Member # 231011
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersize75k5 View Post
What do you guys think of the replacement tail gates for the cj2a?

I just ordered and got my mb grill from onix,

Is the tailgate decent? I'm figuring time saved in body work, chasing one down and removing 70 years of paint would make a new one seem ideal
I just got one from Amazon exact same one as on Keizer Willys page but 180 it's great Willys stamp too. But a day later found on jeephut for 30 cheaper

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
h8sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #177 (permalink)

Member # 29341
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8sprint View Post
I just got one from Amazon exact same one as on Keizer Willys page but 180 it's great Willys stamp too. But a day later found on jeephut for 30 cheaper

How's the quality ? Have some heft to it or seem like junk?
supersize75k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #178 (permalink)

Member # 231011
[ QUOTE=supersize75k5;24928506]How's the quality ? Have some heft to it or seem like junk?[/QUOTE]

Seams legit to me. I'll weigh it later tonight. And find out the gauge. Post a pic too.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #179 (permalink)

Member # 231011
Weighs 11 lbs and looks like 18g Sorry they are upside down again
Attached Images

Last edited by h8sprint; 03-30-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #180 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 157054
Anyone know where I can find Bolts for my pressure plate to flywheel. This is for a 225 odd fire engine. Im haveing a tough time finding these.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #181 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 157054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykul View Post
Anyone know where I can find Bolts for my pressure plate to flywheel. This is for a 225 odd fire engine. Im haveing a tough time finding these.
Well these are what I ordered. 3/8"-16T 0.910" long from the shoulder to the end of the threads. Ill let you know how they work out when they arrive.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-1500/overview/
Old 04-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #182 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 157054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykul View Post
Well these are what I ordered. 3/8"-16T 0.910" long from the shoulder to the end of the threads. Ill let you know how they work out when they arrive.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-1500/overview/
A quick follow up,... The bolts for the pressure plate came in just now! They are the correct thread, shoulder diameter, and length!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #183 (permalink)

Member # 229476
So, I'm thinking about kill switches again Several times this week different people have asked me if "either" of my jeeps are fore sale. We've had alot of break-ins around the neighborhood over the passed 1/2 year or so, so I think it's time I get a kill switch in both of the jeeps.

This time, I'm thinking about a rotary switch that has a bolt head in place of the metal or plastic turning knob (or just JB weld a nut around it, then grind it flat and paint it). It would look like a bolt head. In both of my jeeps, there are so many bolt heads everywhere one more bolt head would just fit right in. Alot of times sometimes I even plug up holes with bolts!

However, the only type of low-profile rotary switches (low profile on the back side of the switch) I can find are lamp switches. Which is fine, but they turn on and off by continually rotating the switch in the same direction, each time it clicks it's off, then on, off, on, off.

What I'd like to find is a switch that turns one way ON, and the opposite way OFF, and won't turn any more beyond that. Basically, so I can put a small scratch in the bolt, and know by looking at which direction the scratch is facing it if it's turned on or off. The continually rotating switches would be difficult to tell at a glance if it's on or off.

Any ideas?

Low profile on the back, like this:

Last edited by danielbuck; 04-16-2014 at 07:54 PM.
danielbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #184 (permalink)

Member # 305737
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
So, I'm thinking about kill switches again Several times this week different people have asked me if "either" of my jeeps are fore sale. We've had alot of break-ins around the neighborhood over the passed 1/2 year or so, so I think it's time I get a kill switch in both of the jeeps.

This time, I'm thinking about a rotary switch that has a bolt head in place of the metal or plastic turning knob (or just JB weld a nut around it, then grind it flat and paint it). It would look like a bolt head. In both of my jeeps, there are so many bolt heads everywhere one more bolt head would just fit right in. Alot of times sometimes I even plug up holes with bolts!

However, the only type of low-profile rotary switches (low profile on the back side of the switch) I can find are lamp switches. Which is fine, but they turn on and off by continually rotating the switch in the same direction, each time it clicks it's off, then on, off, on, off.

What I'd like to find is a switch that turns one way ON, and the opposite way OFF, and won't turn any more beyond that. Basically, so I can put a small scratch in the bolt, and know by looking at which direction the scratch is facing it if it's turned on or off. The continually rotating switches would be difficult to tell at a glance if it's on or off.

Any ideas?

Low profile on the back, like this:

Have you ever heard of the "ADE II"?
Old 04-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #185 (permalink)

Member # 231011
I am changing the ball joints and seals on this Dana 44 because one side was leaking. I have never done this before. I didn't know the seal is on the inside closest to the pumpkin. If I remove the 2 caps will the spool assembly just pull out? When putting it back together does backlash have to be reset? Thanks. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1398782659.436712.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  58.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1398782672.297665.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  45.4 KB

Old 04-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #186 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Nothing will have to be reset BUT if there is proper preload on the carrier bearings getting the spool in and out might be a bit of a bear.

The spool might make it easier since you could pry the carrier out on the spool

To stick it back in your need to get the bearing cups started and then tap everything back in with a dead blow hammer.

If your bored you can build one of these....

Generally you need a dial indicator to make sure you don't spring the housing too far.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #187 (permalink)

Member # 231011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
Nothing will have to be reset BUT if there is proper preload on the carrier bearings getting the spool in and out might be a bit of a bear.

The spool might make it easier since you could pry the carrier out on the spool

To stick it back in your need to get the bearing cups started and then tap everything back in with a dead blow hammer.

If your bored you can build one of these....

Generally you need a dial indicator to make sure you don't spring the housing too far.
Thanks are you bolting into the cover holes on that tool you made?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #188 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8sprint View Post
Thanks are you bolting into the cover holes on that tool you made?
Yes, just to the 4 cover holes with grade 8 hardware. Your only going to be spreading the carrier about 0.020". It isn't really that hard to do with the spreader at all. You just want to be even top to bottom. You need to get the slack out of the system before you start measuring.

You can also add pins that index into the housing.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #189 (permalink)

Member # 231011
Quote:
Yes, just to the 4 cover holes with grade 8 hardware. Your only going to be spreading the carrier about 0.020". It isn't really that hard to do with the spreader at all. You just want to be even top to bottom. You need to get the slack out of the system before you start measuring.

You can also add pins that index into the housing.
Great thanks
Old 04-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #190 (permalink)

Member # 52989
These instructions really helped me when I rebuilt my d44:

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5310-3.pdf
Old 04-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #191 (permalink)

Member # 231011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbrecht42 View Post
These instructions really helped me when I rebuilt my d44:

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5310-3.pdf
Awesome Thanks
Old 04-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #192 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Be sure to keep the cap in the same order left right top bottom. I have yellow marker paint on the left top L. and R on the top right. I used a large socket to pound the seals in evenly. My carrier pops out with a pry bar. Easy job just time consuming. I give it 3 beers
Old 04-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #193 (permalink)

Member # 231011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCubed View Post
Be sure to keep the cap in the same order left right top bottom. I have yellow marker paint on the left top L. and R on the top right. I used a large socket to pound the seals in evenly. My carrier pops out with a pry bar. Easy job just time consuming. I give it 3 beers

Haha 3 beers. That's great. Thanks

Old 05-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #194 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 82435
2 questions:
A) What's a good brand of battery that can operate on it's side? I've hear Optima has really gone down hill. I need 800 CCA.

B) Anybody have a source for those broom bristle type things they put around e-brake handles? I haven't a clue what to search for even.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

51 Ford

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

81 Cherokee
Rooney77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #195 (permalink)

Member # 5326
I have had good luck with my Optima's for the most part. It takes me 5+ years to kill one usually. Just about any AGM sealed battery can be on its side. To get 800cca your going to have to have a pretty big battery in general.

Brush seals.

McMaster-Carr
Old 05-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #196 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 82435
Quote:
I have had good luck with my Optima's for the most part. It takes me 5+ years to kill one usually. Just about any AGM sealed battery can be on its side. To get 800cca your going to have to have a pretty big battery in general.

Brush seals.

McMaster-Carr
Ya, I'm struggling to figure out where to put it because of it's size. The optimas seem to be slightly smaller physically....which is hugely beneficial.

Thanks for the brush seals link.

51 Ford

81 Cherokee
Old 05-02-2014, 04:35 AM   #197 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4962
I used to love the optimas, but no more, they don't last like they used to--there's the battery thread that has pointed this out and with better options out there…..I bought an Odyssey

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/elect...ernatives.html

--my '48 build:

'56 truck:

csutton7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 05:21 AM   #198 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 82435
Quote:
Originally Posted by csutton7 View Post
I used to love the optimas, but no more, they don't last like they used to--there's the battery thread that has pointed this out and with better options out there…..I bought an Odyssey

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/elect...ernatives.html
I'm looking at the Odyssey 34r-pc1500 but can't seem to find any confirmation it can be mounted on it's side. It's an AGM so I'd assume it can but I'd like to be sure before I plop down that kind of coin.

51 Ford

81 Cherokee
Old 05-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #199 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney77 View Post
I'm looking at the Odyssey 34r-pc1500 but can't seem to find any confirmation it can be mounted on it's side. It's an AGM so I'd assume it can but I'd like to be sure before I plop down that kind of coin.
They can, it's a sealed AGM battery.

Sears Diehard Platinum batteries are basically re-badged Odyssey. They don't offer as wide of a selection as Odyssey does, but you can find them more places and they have a better warranty.

Odyssey vs. Diehard Platinum - Expedition Portal

I think they even talk about your size.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:43 AM   #200 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4962
Yea they can be mounted anyway and the one you're looking at is the one I bought if I remember correctly….

--my '48 build:

'56 truck:

csutton7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in