Low slung MB on M37 axles - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 04:25 AM   #26 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Very cool. dig it!
nofender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2015, 07:37 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Still gonna raise the front fenders?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 582609
Thanks guys! yeah Ive still got 2" of travel out of the front, just the little bit ive driven it its already tweaked the drivers fender a little bit, so I think i'm gonna move them up maybe 3 inches if it doesn't look to drastic.
beanoil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanoil View Post
Thanks guys! yeah Ive still got 2" of travel out of the front, just the little bit ive driven it its already tweaked the drivers fender a little bit, so I think i'm gonna move them up maybe 3 inches if it doesn't look to drastic.
Raised fenders look fine to me...

Edit: Picture of my lame flat fender removed to make 86chevyjoe happier...

Last edited by Mieser; 06-23-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Mieser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2015, 10:55 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
Raised fenders look fine to me...

You literally post a pic of your jeep wherever you can. Fucking ridiculous. It's a cool Jeep but you're wearing it out like a country song on the radio.

Hijack over
Old 06-22-2015, 11:03 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 361841
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
You literally post a pic of your jeep wherever you can. Fucking ridiculous. It's a cool Jeep but you're wearing it out like a country song on the radio.

Hijack over
well... maybe its just because its a badass jeep?
Rooster831 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2015, 05:49 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post

Hijack over
Oh.......so I post too many pictures of my flat fender....and probably spend too much time in this part of the board helping just about EVERYONE that asks. I have done everything from typing endless pages of research for members to advice to custom making one off parts for members to junkyard scrounging for strangers. Oh, then there is the runs we organize for members of this section.

Yet, till today, nobody complains about anything...other than not having another old jeep project.

You have TWO posts in this section. And have helped no one here. Come back in a few years after you have helped build up this section of the board into what it has become. We have a great community for old iron lovers! Then we can talk about my pictures.

P.S. I love how your quote posted the same picture again.....nice one.

Rant off. Sorry everyone.

Last edited by Mieser; 06-23-2015 at 05:51 AM.
Mieser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2015, 07:24 AM   #33 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18307
The more pics the better!

And I like the "low slung MB on M37 axles" its got that rat rod vibe, without looking like a ratrod with a bunch of crap bolted onto it.

nice job
BKWUDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 548129
Wordy once again!
1947 Wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
Oh.......so I post too many pictures of my flat fender....and probably spend too much time in this part of the board helping just about EVERYONE that asks. I have done everything from typing endless pages of research for members to advice to custom making one off parts for members to junkyard scrounging for strangers. Oh, then there is the runs we organize for members of this section.

Yet, till today, nobody complains about anything...other than not having another old jeep project.

You have TWO posts in this section. And have helped no one here. Come back in a few years after you have helped build up this section of the board into what it has become. We have a great community for old iron lovers! Then we can talk about my pictures.

P.S. I love how your quote posted the same picture again.....nice one.

Rant off. Sorry everyone.
Pm sent, don't want to clutter this guys thread up anymore than you already have.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 582609
You guys are funny, anywho, Yeah I I'm totally planning on doing a highline, still debating on how far up i should go, I have 2 1/2 inches marked on the hood now, just enough to ditch the Willys logo on the hood, just thinking if i could go maybe 3 or 3 1/2 that would probably keep the tire out of the fender until its really stuffed in there.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanoil View Post
You guys are funny, anywho, Yeah I I'm totally planning on doing a highline, still debating on how far up i should go, I have 2 1/2 inches marked on the hood now, just enough to ditch the Willys logo on the hood, just thinking if i could go maybe 3 or 3 1/2 that would probably keep the tire out of the fender until its really stuffed in there.
I think the sheet metal work is a bit easier/logical if you bring the lower edge of the fender to the corner of the grill shell. On mine I think that raised the fender 2.75-3" total.

Don't forget that if you slide the back of the fender up the cowl flange it will push the front of the fender forward also. I had to move the grill forward 1.38-1.5" to prevent having to take a section out of the top of the fender. The hood was stretched to match.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 582609
Yeah i think I'm going to go 3 inches, Haha I was more worried about the fenders moving outward when they were raised up on the grill, didn't even think about the cowl side. With where my steering box ended I can only get like a 1/2 inch with moving the grill forward, so I'm just going to take a section out of the top of the fender, It should work out fine. I think I can add that section onto the bottom to fill the gap for the step. I guess we'll see how it turns out.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 220897
I'm really fn reluctant to post a pic. I'm going for it, On full compression I was rubbing real bad and had to Mieserize my front fenders also, I did not want to stretch the front so I cut I think 1 3/8" out of the fender. What ever you end up raising the fender you may want to add to the bottom back of the fender to make up the difference.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2015, 12:59 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 582609
well... I'm terrible at keeping this updated, I've gotta sit down and write everything up, but did have it out over the fourth, took it to the dunes. I'll go into detail later, but i'm gonna leave this here. hehehe it definitely wasn't for speeding....
Old 07-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 2147
Send a message via AIM to mbryson Send a message via MSN to mbryson
I dig the rig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mbryson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 582609
Alrighty then, where was I?

Drivelines, I'm pretty cheap so when It came to these I didn't really want to pay to have them made, I had a stack of Cj2a-cj5 drivelines, from various things. So That takes care of the transfer-case end, now the m37 ends are a bit Odd as the pinions are flanges, and the ujoints are like some crazy small cross 1350 joint, so I'm kinda stuck with using the factory m37 slips and flanges.

Well here's part of the stack, the monster in the middle is the m37 one, the splines are almost 1.5" should be plenty for my little rig.

After cutting the splines out of the tube and boring a chunk of 2.25/.25 wall DOM it was ready to be put together. My stepdad was giving me a hand that day and built the rear shaft of me. Fit was a bit tight but nothing a dead blow couldn't fix.

Here it is all together, Used the more beefy front yoke off of what I thing was a cj5 or 7, the only weak link now should be the u-joints.

Of course I don't have pictures of it but I built the front shaft sorta similar but to clear the starter I took the same small tube front driveline and turned the splines down on the m37 slip to slide into the 1 1/4 worked out pretty sharp, and hopefully should hold up.

Well getting caught back up..... I'll post some more later tonight gonna go out and work on it now.... Running Fordyce and Rubicon In a week so gonna be a busy next few days....
Old 08-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 582609
Okay dokie, Its lunch time, so a few more updates....

The 3/4 of an inch of clearance between the fender and tire, wasn't cutting it.
so it needed a bit of a lift. The way Mieser did his was pretty trick, but I didn't want to have to stretch the hood, and I had already mounted the grill to the new frame section. sooo.... here comes the cutting.

Here's where it sat with stock height fenders looks kinda cool, but yup not gonna work out to hot, with me driving it rubs on the drivers side.

This is the passenger fender raised about 2 1/2 inches if you look you can see the top sharpie line, that is 3 1/4 inches over stock. Which is about right, except now the fender is 1 1/2 inches too long.

My first marks almost screwed me, These were right where the factory fender supports are, thank goodness for double checking.

Other than that I had to build a 3 1/4 piece to fill the gap in under the fender, re-drill the holes to mount it. And build some simple inner fender pieces so the headlights could stay. Of course I didn't get any pictures of these....
Old 08-12-2015, 03:10 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 582609
Ok so more or less finally caught up, at least should be by the end of this post

I've had the mb out once already to the dunes with the new axles, where after messing with the carb and finally getting it to run right I promptly get pulled over, and lectured by the cop on how I don't have a cage. He didn't like my reasoning that it was a 75 year old jeep and at best prolly did 25mph in the soft stuff. None the less I managed to get away with just a warning. From that incident and having several people I know harassing me about not having one figured I probably should work on that. But man it looked cool before, oh well.

Well my plans were to have it as low pro as possible, I can't stand the tall back section that most flat fenders had, but I'm right around 6'4 so this was a hard one, especially in an mb with a WWII windshield frame.

So out came the cutoff wheel....
Actually worked out pretty great having the rear end back ~3" and with it being so wide, I had plenty of room to cut without having to worry about tire/tub clearance

jumping to the passenger side, sorry for not being consistent. the kick up for the center cross member kinda screwed my nice easy floor patch, so I had to put the half-moon cutout in it to get the most room possible. The drivers side I left the cutout attached and just bent it forward a little bit.

getting it tacked in, you can see my precision body tool at the bottom, works good for "slight" adjustments. I am definitely not a sheet metal guy.

shot of the drivers side, this peice was allot cleaner in the end, but of course this is where I stopped taking pictures again..... basically just followed the brake across to the outside of the opening nothing too special.

so that gives me room for my seats, now I can start laying out tube work.
Every thing that I am building will be out of 1 3/4 .120 wall DOM. probably should've used .095 for some of it but it was quite a bit more expensive. anyways here we go!

Setting the A-pillar in, Keep in mind this is my first cage, so bear with me on the spud'd together main bars.... Where this sits is about 1/2 inch lower than the top of the windshield frame and rakes up maybe a degree or two towards the rear.

The nice things about sleaving the tube is being able to figure out you angles without wasting 7" of tube!. As for my a-pillar angles the dash was 19 lay back for the windshield and 71 for the roof bar. with a 4 degree twist between the two. the rear section I think ended up at 46-48 Those bars were in and out of the bender a few times to get them right.

I think it's looking pretty sharp, I will tie the seats into the cage and eventually the cage into the frame, which kinda doesn't matter since the previous owner welded the tub to the frame when he redid the floor... A long long time ago....

seats mocked up in the cage.

Besides getting the the two main bars symmetrical these two bars in the back, were a real pain in the butt.

Didn't turn out half bad though. you can see I've already got the seat bars in, sorry no pictures, was in a bit of a hurry but not to much special there. except the front bar is back as far as I could get it to clear the eventual O.D unit.

Continued.... out of picture space I guess ?!?!
Old 08-12-2015, 03:11 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 582609
And the rest...

photo from the loft, with the roof bars in actually besides seat tabs which I did this morning this is where is sits.

I think I'm getting excited to hit up Rubicon and Fordyce!

pretty tired tonight but I also have pictures of the slider/rocker panel guards that I built tonight, they look pretty cool, super simple. I'll try and get them up tomorrow. Well Thanks for reading!
Old 08-12-2015, 05:13 AM   #46 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
This little rig looks man. Looking forward to updates.

wear life like a loose garment

84 Toy Farm Beater
88 4Runner Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 07:15 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 144281
Now this is awesome!

Cage looks sweet. For some reason I think my cage looks goofy tall. Could you grab me a measurement from somewhere on the tub to the top of the cage? Just so I can decide if it really is goofy tall or just my eyes.
wesfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 52989
Great job on the low slung cage! Do you fit in it okay?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:50 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 582609
Quote:
Now this is awesome!

Cage looks sweet. For some reason I think my cage looks goofy tall. Could you grab me a measurement from somewhere on the tub to the top of the cage? Just so I can decide if it really is goofy tall or just my eyes.
Thanks man! from the top of the tub, to the top of the cage its 24"

I'm 6'4 and I can still get my fist between my head and the bottom of the cage, so not to tight, helps that the seats are through the floor. anybody under 6" seems to have a fun time seeing over the windshield though, hehe

Well here she is before the trip to fordyce, didn't get to beat up. Has old man emu 2.5" yj springs and 12" fox's now rides way better! made it down to winch hill 3 (from the top) and back and then to winch hill 4 the next day and the front end came up hard enough to bend the fan which took a swipe out of the rad.... o'well, worked awesome till then.

things yet on the list,
Radiator
complete rewire
battery box (relocation?)
custom bellhousing (need better drive line to starter clearance)
possibly a Buick 215 or rover 4.0, 4.7
t18 (already have it) Terralow?
overdive
and an ARB for the front.

so stay tuned for more, stuff shouldn't be a rushed now.... I hope.
thanks for all the support!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:28 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 47783
Do you have anymore pictures of the rocker guards?
*xj-man* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in