Low slung MB on M37 axles - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 582609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomox View Post
Beautiful pictures. How well does the Jeep handle articulation sitting low? Do you like the low seating position?
Flexes great for having an 87" wheelbase. But its locked front and rear so I don't really notice when it picks up tires. I do know at Moab last time I had it so wrapped up that it flexed the radiator enough to granade the electric fan, It was the entrance to Upper Heldarado at area BFE. as far as the seat situation I love it, I'm 6'4" so I can see over the windsheild fine, shorter people not so much, haha, I just can't stand the tradidtional style flatfender cages with the raised up seats. But Low and stable is deffinatly the words I would use to describe it. Never really felt like its been too tippy even in some pretty messed up spots.
beanoil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 05:43 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 582609
Alright another bit of updates, Current updates too! so I think thats a first. Picked Up some more old Iron a few weeks back... kinda a take one take them all kind of thing.

A freind of mine had a buddy that was trying to get rid of, what he said was a little flathead stuff..... What I ended up with was 6 engines in various states of dissrepair and about a pickupbed and a half of other odds and ends.
So out of the deal I got one 1938-39 24 stud 221, thats the green one with the plug wires.

The bare block is either a 40 or early 41 239 99T block, I guess they are sought after by hotrodders? along with that block I received a mercury crankshaft which is a wopping 4" stroke to make it a 255CI

So my folks were like absolutely NO WAY! which meant I had to devise a way to hide 2000lbs of old Iron. So I rigged up the jeep as a pickup for the day.

Little Road tripping to the abondoned barn down by the river... had to relieve the Ferguson of its home for a bit...

Tight ceilings and a very slow chain hoist made for some good times.
Mangaged to get most of the mess down below before the parents yelled at me too much, I guess my stepdad was down in So-cal for the leduc swapmeet and got a pretty nast call from my mom(not too nasty), asking what all the crap i was dragging home was. 2 pickupbeds full!

The Moonshiners 4x4 swapmeet was last weekend and leave it to be to find the oddball non-offroad stuff, hidding behind a stack of old quadrapukes and some blown out rancho 9000's was this little gem.

Half hour of BS'ing with the old timer who owned it and 50$ later it was safely in the back of the truck. The blower is of of a 60's detroit 6v53 so a little more oddball then the 4-71's or 6-71's commonly used, but more or less the same thing.

Looks right at home, which is good becuase that's where it is going... and then its going in the jeep.

Nobody makes a flathead intake for these blowers so I drew just a simple tubuller style one that should work great. Trying to keep it low Pro so the blower doesn't stick out of the hood, unfortunatly the carbureters will, but I guess in hot rod fashion that might be pretty cool.

I plan on putting the 38' in the jeep soon, and getting it running with the stocker for the time being, I took that 99T block and crank in to get them magnafluxxed and checked out. When I can afford it I will have that block machined and build it into a mild racestyle motor with aluminum heads and all the cool flathead bits that go with it. The stock motor will give me about 90hp and 150ft/lbs so same power as the 2.3l just a little more torque... and half the RPM's. which means I need to drop some cash on an 0.D. Should be a fun Project though, and nothing beats the sound of a flatmotor. Flathead in a flatfender, sounds right to me!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 34347
This project is getting cooler and cooler. Nice work.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:51 AM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 142117
Old 04-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #105 (permalink)
Mr. Lucky

Member # 84122
Diggin the build. I have a real itch for a ratty. Thank for posting.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:11 AM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 83301
this just got more epic.....awesome....
Old 04-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 45
bad ass to the core...

Thansk for the update

Swedish American :usa:
rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 582609
Thanks guys! havn't been able to touch it yet to get the motor swapped over, but I did pull it out of the barn on sunday to get the tractor unstuck... don't drive into a marsh after waiting 3 weeks for it to stop raining makes for a gross situtaion, no pictures unfortunatly. Been working with Cornfed to get our freinds Rods CJ/YJ/MB2a7 done.

Putting coilovers on this already pretty cool jeep

Sitting at full bump 2.5 C/O all around with a 2" hydro bump per corner. Neat Project should up and going for a late season snow run at the end of this month. hopefully sometime after that I'll have a chance to get into the shop for a little bit to get my motor swapped out.

In other news the Portland Swapmeet was this weekend. and I found some goodies for the flatmotor

Set of 8.5 Compression ratio heads, johnson adjustable lifters, a two barrel, and a small medusa head took the day. Don't think I metioned it already but I got ahold of a set of 12bolt H1 wheels, I plan to recenter (with the same offset) to the Bud pattern and run a set of 36x12.50 tsl's gonna miss the 900-16's but they're getting near the end of there life and something with a bit more height is going to be nice with the low rpm's of the flathead.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 49453
Early Volvo on Porsche Fuch's? Don't see that too often.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 582609
Yeah not to many of those.... that been my ongoing preject/moss collector for the past couple years, it has a GM ls 5.3l and a t56 6 speed, equal length stainless headers, Porsche 914 uhpolstry and other oddball doodads, too many projects haha
Old 04-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 582609
not that it has anything to do with flatfenders but why not here's my volvo project or at least some of it....

little bit of a tight fit.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #112 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanoil View Post
Thanks guys! havn't been able to touch it yet to get the motor swapped over, but I did pull it out of the barn on sunday to get the tractor unstuck... don't drive into a marsh after waiting 3 weeks for it to stop raining makes for a gross situtaion, no pictures unfortunatly. Been working with Cornfed to get our freinds Rods CJ/YJ/MB2a7 done.

Putting coilovers on this already pretty cool jeep

Sitting at full bump 2.5 C/O all around with a 2" hydro bump per corner. Neat Project should up and going for a late season snow run at the end of this month. hopefully sometime after that I'll have a chance to get into the shop for a little bit to get my motor swapped out.

In other news the Portland Swapmeet was this weekend. and I found some goodies for the flatmotor

Set of 8.5 Compression ratio heads, johnson adjustable lifters, a two barrel, and a small medusa head took the day. Don't think I metioned it already but I got ahold of a set of 12bolt H1 wheels, I plan to recenter (with the same offset) to the Bud pattern and run a set of 36x12.50 tsl's gonna miss the 900-16's but they're getting near the end of there life and something with a bit more height is going to be nice with the low rpm's of the flathead.
Glad to see that jeep getting finished. Big inspiration to my build. Enjoyed yours in crawl magazine.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 142117
just picked up a crawl mag.....cool to see this in the mag
Old 04-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #114 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 71393
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanoil View Post
not that it has anything to do with flatfenders but why not here's my volvo project or at least some of it....

little bit of a tight fit.

That poor, poor neglected Volvo.You know summer is coming around again? The Volvo is a way cooler cruiser then that fox body.
bradp674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2017, 06:07 AM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 83301
bump!!
Old 10-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 582609
Been a little while, Typical, school getting in the way of projects haha. Anyways Ive had the ole' heep out a couple times this summer, came off a dune pretty hard and tacoed a front spring, which resulted in a blown up driveline.

...becuase who's done this before, I hate presses...

Aside from that and a bent frame it was my flathead delivery vehicle in portland for a while, roomates love having a flatmotor in the closet at school.

other than that went to the dunes again last weekend and snagged a couple picks of me and Cornfed's buggy. as usuall though having too much fun and didn't have the camera out nearly enough.

I don't have any pics of the willys in that canyon, but i was driving it on its side, and there is a waterfall half way up that decided to granade my the driveline yoke... passenger peer pressure on that one haha. No one made it out of there that that time.

well the willy's is quietly snoozing in its barn till, next time, hopefully sooner than later
Old 04-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 751689
Any updates on this one?
JustinS-IA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #118 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I just saw it got waxed on social media! Get a flathead in that fucker already.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 34347
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
I just saw it got waxed on social media! Get a flathead in that fucker already.
Cosigned. This build just oozes retro coolness.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 88163
Like the build. Keep us updated with more pics when you do the motor swap. Interested to see how it turns out.

How much wider is the flat head v8 vs something like a chevy pushrod v8?

Last edited by rd94yj; 05-06-2018 at 05:16 PM.
rd94yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 228799
Great build. Hoping for more updates.
BaconYj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #122 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
He hasnít been on here since his last post. Instragram handle is abyssalsalmon he post some cool shit. I saw it around town a few times but was always going opposite way. Such a cool build.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 133735
I love this build. Too cool.
nealwheels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 45
TTT for beanoil

Swedish American :usa:
rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in