The Whiskey Willys Build. - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 02:16 AM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 671330
Not so much room for fun activities..... exhaust routing is gonna be fun I can tell already. #customeverything haha

Messing around with locations...engine intake plane is 0*, rear output is at 7* seems to be

Did a lot of moving and adjusting and thinking, and tossed in a steering shaft just to help think about things, and then also was adjusting and making sure the oil filter had enough room to be taken off... I don't want make any stupid design mistakes for maintenance things.

Just doing some quick easy math things, so I can make some motor mounts

JURASSIC PARK VELOCIRAPTORS!!!

Progress.....
J900rr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2017, 04:22 AM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Why not tuck the transfer case up for more clearance? The carb won't care if it's level. My carb pad is tilted forward a few degrees with no issue in many many miles.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 671330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
Why not tuck the transfer case up for more clearance? The carb won't care if it's level. My carb pad is tilted forward a few degrees with no issue in many many miles.
After careful deliberation, it's all gonna have clearance now!
-------------

Just tossed the carbs on there for seeing how things would fit- it would allow for MASSIVE amounts more room for under the hood, thus also enabling me to raise the engine/tranny as high as I could possibly want up into the frame. PLUS it would in my opinion look aaaaabbbbsolutely AWESOME having some sexy symmetrical runners going down from the carbs to the intake.

Floor jack is topped out, nearly completely flat belly

Oh and I have a driveshaft through the floorboards now

Last edited by J900rr; 11-13-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 104219
make it happen that looks cool!

Is that a single barrel intake on the V6?
Old 11-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #155 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 682169
The carbs will be totally awesome! I was looking at a pair of Mikunis off of my Polaris Indy 400 as a possible option before I went to TBI. Looks like it's coming together nicely, can't wait to see more!
WILLYN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 730177
Badass!
_xbombtek_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 134699
Just read through the thread. Awesome fun. Really like the dual mikuni idea, subscribed for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rooster18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2017, 12:42 AM   #158 (permalink)

Member # 671330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que_Honda! View Post
make it happen that looks cool!

Is that a single barrel intake on the V6?
Haha thanks man, I'm really loving the idea of how the carb runners would look, and yep that's a single barrel intake, plan is to most likely switch it out for a two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLYN View Post
The carbs will be totally awesome! I was looking at a pair of Mikunis off of my Polaris Indy 400 as a possible option before I went to TBI. Looks like it's coming together nicely, can't wait to see more!
So long as doesn't give me any massive issues, I think it will for sure be awesome too! Haha I know these carbs can run very happily doing wheelies, so offroad inclines shouldn't be an issue lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _xbombtek_ View Post
Badass!
That's the goal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster18 View Post
Just read through the thread. Awesome fun. Really like the dual mikuni idea, subscribed for more.

Happy to entertain! This thing is gonna be my baby, I'm fully committed to making it be exactly what I want.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:54 PM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 671330
Been awhile since I had any whiskey, but if this is called the Whiskey Willys I figured I should probably grab a bottle to keep its name in place.

Made motor mounts the other day, nothing all that special, just trying to make everything have as much clearance as possible and for it to look "clean" so these motor mounts are 10* tilted instead of just mounted on a straight 90* also motor is offset to the driver side 1.25"

Pretty sure my skills with an angle grinder are right up there with a surgeon.... I've learned to make do with limited tools when I was starting out as a teenager building things, and now it's just hard to do it any other way sometimes

Took me two full days to finally have trans-mount crossmember that I would be happy with. Ran into a whole bunch of problems with exhaust routing and torque arm mounting, finally got that all squared away with a few changes and got this. I'm really pretty happy with it, it looks "CLEAN" in my opinion, and hey it's my opinion that matters right? Hahaha

2:52am here in Ohio, time for some sleep and to get the frame mounts made tomorrow, and get the whole thing glued together.

Coffee on the INTAKE, is literally how it'll be when I wake up in a few hours to get right back to building this thing.

Oh, and if anyone is curious the transmount is a "modified" T14 transmount.

Last edited by J900rr; 11-21-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #160 (permalink)

Member # 671330
I was shooting for 25.25" pretty happy with my angle grinder skills haha

Taking my time to make everything as perfect as possible, this is no doubt my biggest undertaking build wise....

I'm pretty happy with the look of it.

Celebratory whiskey shot because the motor and trans are no longer being held up by jackstands and an engine hoist!

Sit, smile, stare..... now to think about axles and suspension.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:54 AM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 104219
looks good, how did you modify the trans mount? I'm thinking part of my problem with my current mount is that it might not be long enough to handle the torque.

What vehicles did these come in?
Old 11-24-2017, 06:34 AM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 116048
Looking really good....I like how the trans cross member came out
yarmish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2017, 08:16 AM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Well done.

That trans mount is super simple and clean.

I'd add some little triangle braces to the L-bracket for the trans mount if you have the space. I'd also round off the sharp corners on the frame side crossmember brackets....your head/hands will thank you at some point.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #164 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6764
Bird dog in any flavor is awesome w 7up. Continue on.
mjs408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2017, 06:02 PM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 488177
Keep posting pics, and drinking whiskey....not necessarily in that order!
Looking good.
a3dhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #166 (permalink)

Member # 751689
Good stuff man, i like that trans mount a lot.
JustinS-IA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 730177
How do you like the Eastwood Tig 200?

I️ was just reading reviews on it and might be leaning that way. Your first hand experience would help make a decision.
_xbombtek_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #168 (permalink)

Member # 671330
Quote:
looks good, how did you modify the trans mount? I'm thinking part of my problem with my current mount is that it might not be long enough to handle the torque.

What vehicles did these come in?
Yep, I really didn't like the normal torque arm setup and transmount, I'll have to post pictures yet of my torque arm setup that I'm going with. All I had to do to the transmount was extend the slotted holes in the top inward so that the 3" center to center bolt holes of the t18 would fit in it. (I probably made the slot 1/4" longer on each side. I believe the t14 came in a cj5- I bought my transmount from Summit Racing, the P/N is CWA-J0939995

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarmish View Post
Looking really good....I like how the trans cross member came out
Thanks! I'm glad I didn't go with my initial plan and actually spent awhile scratching my head about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
Well done.

That trans mount is super simple and clean.

I'd add some little triangle braces to the L-bracket for the trans mount if you have the space. I'd also round off the sharp corners on the frame side crossmember brackets....your head/hands will thank you at some point.
Thanks! And I just noticed I didn't post FINISHED crossmember pictures, I rounded it all off and beveled the edges. I also will be adding in some triangles to the L bracket and will be adding a diamond shaped fishplate covering over the section where I cut and bent the 1x2" on the 1" side of it (hopefully that makes sense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs408 View Post
Bird dog in any flavor is awesome w 7up. Continue on.
I never had this apple flavor before, I'm VERY impressed. I'm a huge fan of the Dr. mcgillicuddy Intense apple pie added to my hot apple cider, but I can't seem to find any this year but this Bird Dog is a solid replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3dhunter View Post
Keep posting pics, and drinking whiskey....not necessarily in that order!
Looking good.
Haha, I mean I gotta keep warm this winter building in a non heated garage one way or another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinS-IA View Post
Good stuff man, i like that trans mount a lot.
Thanks, I'm excited to get the torque arm added to it, I think it's gonna come out looking really clean. It will be tight fitting for sure, but coming from building motorcycles, nothing yet has really phased me for having to work around a tight squeeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _xbombtek_ View Post
How do you like the Eastwood Tig 200?

I️ was just reading reviews on it and might be leaning that way. Your first hand experience would help make a decision.
I wish I could give you better feedback on it, but it's literally the only tig I've ever used. I've been able to do sheetmetal things easily, and have been trying to get a hang of tigging aluminum but I still suck at it. I think for the price of the tig and the warranty that comes with it it's a pretty fantastic buy, I read tons of reviews and watched a bunch of YouTube videos about them before I went with my purchase of it.... all depends really I suppose on what kind of work you want to be doing with it- for me and what I read up on, it would cover all my bases.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #169 (permalink)

Member # 104219
Thank you sir. Very curious to see the finished product.

Also, what exhaust manifolds do you have on the V6? Are those the stock Jeep V6 manifolds or from some car version?
Old 11-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #170 (permalink)

Member # 671330
Quote:
Thank you sir. Very curious to see the finished product.

Also, what exhaust manifolds do you have on the V6? Are those the stock Jeep V6 manifolds or from some car version?
Not sure what manifolds they exactly are, they were on the jeep when I bought it. I can take some good pictures of them for ya though.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #171 (permalink)

Member # 671330
Made some custom adjustable shackles.... these should get me to my desired ride height.

Got the wide track dana 30 tossed in there just to see how things are fitting... still a bit undecided for suspension setup.

Last edited by J900rr; 11-29-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #172 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 682169
Haha we used to use shackles just like that back in the day! They were popular for jacking up a Plymouth Duster also?
You could get close with the shackles and fine tune with lift blocks, or vice versa.
I always loved the foot and a half long u-bolts with the block.
WILLYN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #173 (permalink)

Member # 671330
Broke down a set of leafs and worked at figuring out clearances.... definitely would be beneficial to french the steering box forward into the front bumper- looks like can about 3/4"

Old 12-03-2017, 03:23 AM   #174 (permalink)

Member # 104219
Hereís something Iíve been thinking about and maybe someone could chime in and tell me it wonít work.

But a TJ box is much shorter and you wouldnít have to cut into the bumper. Iíve been thinking of that on mine as well. Youíll need a custom hose but you might that anyway. Just a thought.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 671330
Quote:
Here’s something I’ve been thinking about and maybe someone could chime in and tell me it won’t work.

But a TJ box is much shorter and you wouldn’t have to cut into the bumper. I’ve been thinking of that on mine as well. You’ll need a custom hose but you might that anyway. Just a thought.

Funny you should say that....

So in today's adventures, I played with steering boxes.
I have a Saginaw 800, a Mercedes TJ Rubicon steering box(aka a ZF) and a CPP 400 vega series(too weak i think) not pictures is a Ford steering box I'll let the pictures do the talking.

So the TJ steering box is 1/2" shorter from nose to pitman arm shaft.... but the pitman arm itself is also a 1/2" shorter than the one I originally had been using. So far everything seems to check out with using the TJ box, other than not common and not cheap to replace.

Last edited by J900rr; 12-04-2017 at 03:32 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in