ideas for trailer - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 229476
ideas for trailer

So, planning a few more long trips, and I think I'd like to have a small-ish trailer to pull behind the willys. Already have a pintle hitch. It would be nice to just pick one up and go, but I'd like to build it instead.

I'd probably build it similar to the small military utility trailers that are so popular with jeeps.

Any features or design ideas that you would incorporate into the design?

And dimensions, Would you keep the track width the same as your jeep? Leaf springs? How wide would you make the frame? the body?

For me, the trailer would be MOSTLY on-road, and easy back-road trails. Not something I'd be dragging through rock trails often.

I already have a set of 12v humvee trailer lights that I picked up a while ago, in anticipation of eventually building a trailer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.33Chevy.net

Last edited by danielbuck; 11-04-2016 at 05:44 PM.
danielbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 104219
Same tire size for easy spares.

Fold out bed topper

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 98177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que_Honda! View Post
Same tire size for easy spares.

Fold out bed topper

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
with that same mentality, use the same leaf springs (fronts) that are on your Jeep, and use the same front spindles, hubs, and lockouts as are on your Jeep for the trailer axle.
sammyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 229476
I was thinking along those lines as well, have parts that can be used for the jeep itself on the trailer. But.... if I ever HAD to use them, it would mean that I probably couldn't have the trailer operational after I poached parts from it? It would get me home, but not the trailer! Though I suppose the trailer, being lighter weight, could be hobbled together with ratchet straps and what not alot easier than the jeep itself.

Speaking of leaf springs, I've been rolling on a bent leaf spring for about 8,000 miles now. Time to make some anti-inversion shackles for the front...

Definitely will have at least 1 fold-out table for BBQing. And maybe a way to mount an up-right pole on the rear corner of the trailer, so if I park in a semi-circle I can put a pole on the front bumper of the jeep and rear bumper of the trailer, and string up a hammock if there are no trees or other vehicles around.

www.33Chevy.net

Last edited by danielbuck; 11-05-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 56831
Send a message via AIM to paradisePWoffrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
I was thinking along those lines as well, have parts that can be used for the jeep itself on the trailer. But.... if I ever HAD to use them, it would mean that I probably couldn't have the trailer operational after I poached parts from it? It would get me home, but not the trailer! Though I suppose the trailer, being lighter weight, could be hobbled together with ratchet straps and what not alot easier than the jeep itself.

Speaking of leaf springs, I've been rolling on a bent leaf spring for about 8,000 miles now. Time to make some anti-inversion shackles for the front...

Definitely will have at least 1 fold-out table for BBQing. And maybe a way to mount an up-right pole on the rear corner of the trailer, so if I park in a semi-circle I can put a pole on the front bumper of the jeep and rear bumper of the trailer, and string up a hammock if there are no trees or other vehicles around.

As said, I would use parts to share between jeep and trailer. But things such as spindles, hubs, lockouts, etc, I would add a spare mount or 2 on the trailer. That way you could have multiple failures and still be ok going home.

I would build it with a long tongue. Easier to back, place for cooler/genset.

I would integrate part storage on/in it. Things like driveshafts and axle shafts.

Have an air/CO2/nitro tank onboard for tires and such.

I would probly integrate a dump function and tailgate into the bed. for something small, it would be nice to have around the house.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 166485
I found an M100 box and a used military GPU trailer frame. Made it to match my M37. It did have the same bolt patterns and tire/wheel size. I actually used it much more behind my TJ for camping and dump trips.
Attached Images

Overhauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 98177
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post

If you end up salvaging parts off of the trailer either leave it, or you can always strap a log under it. Can always drag it...
sammyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 210734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhauler View Post
I found an M100 box and a used military GPU trailer frame. Made it to match my M37. It did have the same bolt patterns and tire/wheel size. I actually used it much more behind my TJ for camping and dump trips.
Sweet rig and trailer.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 14196
Send a message via AIM to wes8517 Send a message via MSN to wes8517 Send a message via Yahoo to wes8517
Another idea - get some steel corner guards that wrap all the way up for a CJ5/7 to keep the same body lines as the back of your Jeep, that would be a slick look. Something like this:

Jeep CJ-7 Rear Crusher Corners | Jeep CJ-7 Rear Corner Armor | Jeep CJ-7 Rear Corner Protection | Poison Spyder Customs

Obviously would need to be added to in the front, but would be a slick look. Could easily be used to mount to a custom sqaure tube frame to be the exact size you want.

I would say the best look would be match width of your Jeep, but looks arent everything!

Any thoughts on using a folding tent on top for trips? That would be one thing I think would be super nice about the trailer, ability to add that.

Wes
Old 11-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 110523
Here is a cool trailer a friend of mine uses, from the ECJ5 page. Really cool hitch.
Work Trailer | ECJ5

Last edited by jjeep71; 11-09-2016 at 09:30 AM.
jjeep71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 30681
On the long tongue, I would consider an extendable one. This way you can haul canoes and longer stuff as needed, but keep it short for camping and such. A hard cover is a nice option for keeping things dry inside. Also, maybe a roof rack of sorts for bikes and other stuff. Tube lined fenders are good vs. standard sheet metal (since your "bed" will be narrower and the fenders will stick out a lot). I would want a tailgate, but it will be much easier to build without one.

Just some of my thoughts...
CAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2016, 10:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 229476
a tail gate is definitely in.

www.33Chevy.net

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in