Granddaughter Jeep build - Page 11 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #251 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Well, this morning I got after the front crossmember with the plasma cutter.
Still needs lots of clean up, but the radiator will now fit. After I get the
radiator positioned I'll probably weld some angle iron across from each
frame rail and connect to the top of the bracket for the grill. That should
add enough strength back so it doesn't flex a bunch. There sure was a
lot of crud inside the crossmember.
Attached Images

One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #252 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 429
Nice work.

Jack
locrwln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #253 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Well, I put the tub back on temporarily so I could mock up stuff like where the brake booster goes. In order to clear the left head the booster needs to be about 12" to the left of where the brake pedal needs to go. I'm thinking of buying a second pedal assembly, mounting one to the booster and the other 12" to the right and connecting them together with a rod to transfer the motion. Anyone done anything like that ?
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:

Old 09-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #254 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
Well, I put the tub back on temporarily so I could mock up stuff like where the brake booster goes. In order to clear the left head the booster needs to be about 12" to the left of where the brake pedal needs to go. I'm thinking of buying a second pedal assembly, mounting one to the booster and the other 12" to the right and connecting them together with a rod to transfer the motion. Anyone done anything like that ?
Iirc v8 early broncos w/ power brakes do some sorcery to clear the motor w/ power brakes. Invesigate.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #255 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 110523
I used a Cherokee booster and made a custom pedal. So far it has held up well. the only problem I ran into was the pedal was hitting the floor and I was not getting full motion. I bent the bracket a little and added a gusset to it for strength.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2018, 08:52 AM   #256 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Iirc v8 early broncos w/ power brakes do some sorcery to clear the motor w/ power brakes. Invesigate.
Here are some pics. The uninstalled one is from Toms Broncos.
Attached Images

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 09-05-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #257 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Sounds like a good excuse to install a Hydroboost system...

Aaron Z
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #258 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
Sounds like a good excuse to install a Hydroboost system...

Aaron Z
Nice idea, but that wouldn't solve the peddle to booster offset. I also looked at the early Bronco stuff and there's no place to mount the angled bracket they use. It would hit the motor. I knew this wouldn't be easy.

Quote:
Old 09-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #259 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Nice idea, but that wouldn't solve the peddle to booster offset. I also looked at the early Bronco stuff and there's no place to mount the angled bracket they use. It would hit the motor. I knew this wouldn't be easy.
Ah, I was thinking you needed to move it to fit the "can" of a vacuum booster in there.

Aaron Z
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2018, 02:30 AM   #260 (permalink)

Member # 55090
Thanks for showing how you went about the headlight install.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:21 AM   #261 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
I remember seeing some I think was Mitsubishi cars from the 80s that had the booster and MC remotely mounted with a cable from the pedal to the MC

Donít know what model but mitsu didnít sell many in the states in the 80s
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices.[Fred Reed]

74Bronco EFI 5spd
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #262 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
I think I may have a solution to the brake pedal offset. I have the pedal assy pictured below. I'm thinking making a new piece that fits in the center, the one with the 2 holes in it. The new piece would be bigger diameter and extend to the right with a drilled and tapped hole in the end. I'd get another of these brake pedal assy, cut off the tube on the pedal and bolt & weld it to the end. I'd mount the tube to the firewall using a hiem joint.
Attached Images

Quote:
Old 09-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #263 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Well, I got the rear corner guards roughly on and the rocker guards fitted and drilled. I also mocked up where the steering column goes and took some measurements. The brake booster needs to mount in the center of the 2 rectangular holes in the firewall, but the pedal needs to line up with the round hole in the floor just to the right of the steering column. That's an offset of appx. 12". Going to visit the local machine shop to see if they'll make the round bar I need to offset it.
Attached Images

Quote:
Old 09-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #264 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Got busy with some small stuff this weekend. Enlarged the opening for the trans/tc and the shifters. No way the stock trans cover would fit as the SM420's much larger than the T-90. The gas filler neck finally arrived so I got the holesaw out and got that positioned. Going to be slow on it for a while now as next weekend we'll be getting everything ready for our 2 week road trip to Wisconsin and back. Going to my mother's 90th birthday bash.
Attached Images

Quote:
Old 09-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #265 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Two steps forward, one step back. I got the real steering column in and there's no way I can use the headers. No realistic way to get the linkage around the header tubes, so it's back to cast exhaust manifolds.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2018, 11:31 AM   #266 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Got a new left side cast exhaust manifold as the old one was warped. Mocked up steering column and the brake booster/master/pedal. Also roughed in where the steering box is going to mount. The box needs to go down and forward a bit, but I have to trim up the plate it's bolted to first. Spent yesterday chasing metal for the trans cover and seat frames as the old frames are super rusty and I don't trust them to hold up.
Attached Images

Quote:
Old 10-30-2018, 09:14 PM   #267 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6764
Whos steering column did you use?
mjs408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2018, 05:37 AM   #268 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs408 View Post
Whos steering column did you use?
Ididit.

https://www.ididitinc.com/

They have all different sizes and options.

Quote:
Old 11-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #269 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6764
That must be a classic tilt with floor shift? How long? I ask because Im working on an early CJ too.
mjs408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2018, 05:22 PM   #270 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs408 View Post
That must be a classic tilt with floor shift? How long? I ask because Im working on an early CJ too.
Universal 30" Tilt Floor Shift Steering Column - Paintable Steel

https://www.ididitinc.com/i-25047845...tegory:1310134

Quote:
Old 11-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #271 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Well, I trimmed the plate the steering box is bolted to and moved the box a lot closer to where I want it. Trimmed up the grill to clear the box and the hydraulic lines to it. The steering shafts are looking a whole lot better.
Attached Images

Quote:
Old 12-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #272 (permalink)

Member # 212475
https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/d/...769387798.html

If I am not mistaken, here is a rear offset 44.

Might be a bit far for you though. I also noticed you upgraded the rear centered 44. Are you still dead set on the offset pair/d18 setup?

Last edited by lovejeeps; 12-26-2018 at 07:42 PM.
lovejeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2018, 02:40 PM   #273 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejeeps View Post
https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/d/...769387798.html

If I am not mistaken, here is a rear offset 44.

Might be a bit far for you though. I also noticed you upgraded the rear centered 44. Are you still dead set on the offset pair/d18 setup?
I upgraded the offset D44 to one piece axles. I'm keeping the D18 t-case because I want the overdrive with the 4.88 axle gears.

Quote:
Old 12-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #274 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Nothing worth any pics. Bent up a brace between the bottom of the dash panel and the firewall to stiffen up the mounting where the steering column mates to the dash. Also cleaning up parts. Boring, but needed.

Quote:
Old 01-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #275 (permalink)

Member # 212475
Quote:
I upgraded the offset D44 to one piece axles. I'm keeping the D18 t-case because I want the overdrive with the 4.88 axle gears.
Yeah I went back and looked through the thread again. It looks great! I need to get mine going...this is great motivation though.

Last edited by lovejeeps; 01-04-2019 at 07:58 PM.
lovejeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in