Granddaughter Jeep build - Page 12 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 06:28 AM   #276 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejeeps View Post
Yeah I went back and looked through the thread again. It looks great! I need to get mine going...this is great motivation though.
I haven't done much as I was too busy over the holidays, but I'm going to pull the dash panel today, sand blast and paint it. There's tons of little stuff like that I need to get done until my son-in-law can get here to weld up the seat frames and the new front crossmember for the radiator and weld on the plate for the steering box. Also have to do a new plate for the trans tunnel as the SM420 is larger than the stock T-90.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.

Last edited by SanDiegoCJ; 01-05-2019 at 06:30 AM.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #277 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
I found a solution for flaring the pipes out of the A/C compressor. Bought a block and adapter tubes from Vintage Air. The block bolts to the back of the compressor and the adapters screw onto the fittings. Very clean set up.
I also had a shop bend up some exhaust tubing to mate up with the manifolds. The left side is right on, but the right side needs more bend.
Attached Images

One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2019, 06:29 PM   #278 (permalink)

Member # 212475
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
I found a solution for flaring the pipes out of the A/C compressor. Bought a block and adapter tubes from Vintage Air. The block bolts to the back of the compressor and the adapters screw onto the fittings. Very clean set up.
I also had a shop bend up some exhaust tubing to mate up with the manifolds. The left side is right on, but the right side needs more bend.
Iíve never seen the spring on the exhaust before? Whatís the purpose for this, or is it just temporary?

Old 01-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #279 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Iíve never seen the spring on the exhaust before? Whatís the purpose for this, or is it just temporary?
Usually used with a doughnut gasket, to allow a little movement in the joint.

Aaron Z
Old 01-26-2019, 10:56 AM   #280 (permalink)

Member # 212475
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczlan View Post

Aaron Z
Ok, I see. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #281 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Very cool build!

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #282 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczlan View Post

Aaron Z
Quote:
Ok, I see. Thanks!
Yup. The springs, studs, and nuts came with the new manifolds I bought.
I'll update with more pics a little later today. Got the brake parts back from the machine shop and the heater came in. Mocking up stuff now.

Quote:
Old 01-26-2019, 01:12 PM   #283 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Got the brake pedal offset parts from the machine shop today. I have to fab up a bracket for the heimjoint to the firewall to brace the bar. The pedal arm needs to be bent just slightly to get it exactly where I want it also. I also found out that using a left side exhaust manifold on the right side smashes the oil dipstick tube, so I bought a flexible tube from Lokar. Any hints on getting it into the block? So far it feels like an interference fit.
Attached Images

Quote:
Old 01-29-2019, 09:59 AM   #284 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 110523
Looks good, be careful with the arm hitting the body. I had a problem with that and was not getting full range. Brakes "sorta" worked until I fixed the issue.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:27 PM   #285 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Got a bit more done today. Mocked up a bracket for the brake linkage to brace it to the firewall. Also test fit a new oil dipstick tube. The exhaust manifold is going to need some grinding for clearance so the tube doesn't get smashed. Got the new CV rear driveshaft, which requires a different yoke than the one with the drum e-brake. The old yoke is kicking my ass. It's taken 3-4 hours to get it half-way off. Also mocked up a place for the heater. I got the ducting and vents for heat and defrost with it. The black manifold is part of the air compressor stuff that hooks to the A/C compressor.
Attached Images

Quote:

Last edited by SanDiegoCJ; 01-31-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:39 PM   #286 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Attached Images

Quote:
Old 02-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #287 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, but are you going to be able to get a spark plug wire on there? Looks like the plug is up against the manifold.
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #288 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4962
looking good for sure....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--my '48 build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'56 truck:

csutton7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #289 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, but are you going to be able to get a spark plug wire on there? Looks like the plug is up against the manifold.
It's the angle of the pic. I've had that manifold on before and there's plenty of room.

Quote:
Old 04-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #290 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Been slowly chipping away at it. Finally had my SIL get up here to do some welding. Got the new front crossmember in and the radiator mounted. Had to notch the radiator mount to clear the steering shaft. Been doing lots of boring clean up too.
Attached Images

Quote:
Old 04-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #291 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
I keep chipping away at it. Lots of little stuff that takes insane amounts of time. Decided I really didn't like the AA shifter for the Warn OD. I'm starting to modify the stock shifter. The shirt lever will be even with the trans shifter instead of jammed into the T-case twin-sticks. I had to grind out between the two mounting holes for it to mate up with the front bolt on the trans. The rear flange will need to be moved back a bit to line up with the next bolt. I'll also have to cut and lengthen the rod about 8".
Attached Images

Quote:
Old 04-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #292 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Also made a bracket to mount the fuse block to. Got it all mounted in, so now it has to come back out and get painted.
Attached Images

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in