FUBAR - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimingman View Post
Looking good Tim!!!
Thanx, it's still smaller than yours tho

OG48 yea that's the plan, My mid engine Willys didn't pan out. I marked the spot where the detent needs to go but in my head its not going to look quite right.

Well I got the cage out, 2 air chucks welded in and pressure tested up to 85 LBs. I really should run it up to 150 lb. but that's a bomb if it lets go.

next was the roll cage heater, fittings welded in and pressure tested with the water hose on one side and a spray nozzle on the other side. I think our water pressure is only 35lbs.? and a radiator cap is only 14/16 lbs so I should be fine.

So I think its off to powder coat tomorrow, I'm think'n pink.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #127 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4962
can't you shorten the arm on the go pedal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--my '48 build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'56 truck:

csutton7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2018, 06:17 AM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 34347
Would you mind sharing more details on the "roll cage heater?" What's the purpose of it?

Old 04-10-2018, 06:56 AM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOffroader View Post
Would you mind sharing more details on the "roll cage heater?" What's the purpose of it?
IIRC, the front grab bar and the windshield hoop are getting coolant running through them so they are warm in the winter.

Aaron Z
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 34347
That's what I gathered but seems like a lot of work for not much benefit. I'm probably missing something though so I'm curious.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #131 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 225516
Pink for sure
rochead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOffroader View Post
Aczlan is right, but it isn't that much work, just weld two heater hose pipes on the bottom of the front roll cage hoop, drill two holes in the tub corner in front of the cage, then run heater hose from the engine along the fender, down to the bottom corner of the tub, through the hole on to the pipe nipple. Then reverse on the other side. I have a 3/4" gate valve on the driver side fender to turn it on and off.

It does work ok, the roll cage is about 170-180 degrees. With gloves and boots, I put my left ankle and hand on it, and with my soft top on it will warm my jeep on snow runs just fine. It also helps cool the engine on a hot day if your having an overheating problem.

Another benefit is no heater box, electrical, or finding a space to shove everything into. Keep it simple.

There are pics. in my Pirate photo album, in the GPW evolution,
or I'll take a couple pics. if you would like.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #133 (permalink)
Master Tinkerer

Member # 75774
Well ?
Its June now and something must have happened?
Old 06-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 34347
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCubed View Post
Aczlan is right, but it isn't that much work, just weld two heater hose pipes on the bottom of the front roll cage hoop, drill two holes in the tub corner in front of the cage, then run heater hose from the engine along the fender, down to the bottom corner of the tub, through the hole on to the pipe nipple. Then reverse on the other side. I have a 3/4" gate valve on the driver side fender to turn it on and off.

It does work ok, the roll cage is about 170-180 degrees. With gloves and boots, I put my left ankle and hand on it, and with my soft top on it will warm my jeep on snow runs just fine. It also helps cool the engine on a hot day if your having an overheating problem.

Another benefit is no heater box, electrical, or finding a space to shove everything into. Keep it simple.

There are pics. in my Pirate photo album, in the GPW evolution,
or I'll take a couple pics. if you would like.
Ah, that makes. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Well...it's been really slow lately. I tried rotating the inner C's on my 60, and that was a really big pain in the ass. Today it's loaded in my truck ready to take to the shop.

Backstory: The plan was remove the axle from the jeep, cut brackets off, grind the weld out. So I took 3 propane torches with map gas, could only get the temp up to 487 (?) degrees. Then I took a piece of box tubing clamped on the axle tube with ice inside to reduce the temp to 212, chased it around the driveway with a splitting maul attempting to turn the C's before they cooled, would have made a funny youtube video...so anyway it's off to the shop!

I did get some stubby fenders welded onto the hood. One coat of paint on those. Oh, last month broke a gear off my Tera Low in my Dana 20. So I'm off to a roaring start to spring wheeling season.

Everything is so screwed up I'm back on my motorcycle.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #136 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 422178
Hey Tim, When you get tired of breaking those Terra Low gears, let me know and I will get you in touch with Jack O'Brien. It will be the last set of gears you'll have to put in that transfer case.

-1941 slatt grill
-1944 GPW
-1946 2A
-1948 2A
-1951 M38
-1954 diesel 3B
thefixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #137 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 225516
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefixxer View Post
Hey Tim, When you get tired of breaking those Terra Low gears, let me know and I will get you in touch with Jack O'Brien. It will be the last set of gears you'll have to put in that transfer case.
More info?
Old 06-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #138 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Quote:
Darn it, I remember talking to you at Homewood about Jack O'Brien gears now. I think this is my 3rd set of Tera Lows, but I think it is my fault. I do wheel a lot but I know the problem is I run back and forth between High and Low range and don't always come to a full stop before shifting into Low which knocks the hell out of the leading edge of the gear. I do clean up the teeth a little when needed with my little grinder. I hope the Tera Low in my 300 holds up a little better.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #139 (permalink)
Master Tinkerer

Member # 75774
Tim,
I got the Tera Lows in my D300 for 5 years now, but I don't crawl a 1000 miles a year like you.... which makes me jealous !
Old 06-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #140 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 225516
I have had them in my 20 for years also with no issues but tons and 40ds may change that but so far so good,couple snow runs and couple SR runs and all good
Old 06-18-2018, 10:38 PM   #141 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 422178
Here is a picture of the Overdrive bowl gear that Jack makes for the Warn/Saturn overdrives. He makes 3.0,3.6,4.1 and 4.86 gear sets for the model 18 and 20 transfer cases. He also does a tapered roller bearing kit that is twice the size of the one made by Advanced Adapters. This bearing made my 3.6 dana 18 silent, and anyone who has one knows how noisy they are. I am very happy with mine.
Attached Images

-1941 slatt grill
-1944 GPW
-1946 2A
-1948 2A
-1951 M38
-1954 diesel 3B
thefixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #142 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 157054
Just got done updating myself on your thread. Very cool find Tim. "Why have one when you could have two". Very cool. Your original Yellow Willys could be called mini me.

Last edited by Mykul; 06-19-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Mykul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2018, 05:30 AM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 34347
Quote:
Here is a picture of the Overdrive bowl gear that Jack makes for the Warn/Saturn overdrives. He makes 3.0,3.6,4.1 and 4.86 gear sets for the model 18 and 20 transfer cases. He also does a tapered roller bearing kit that is twice the size of the one made by Advanced Adapters. This bearing made my 3.6 dana 18 silent, and anyone who has one knows how noisy they are. I am very happy with mine.

Have you spoken with him since he started Chemo? I talked to him awhile back and he said he was temporarily closing his shop for renovations and chemo. I've been meaning to give him a shout.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Well I thought I would do an update: I haven't been doing much for the last 2 months, parts are back ordered, so I'm in a holding pattern doing home chores. Sooooooooooo... here are a few pics. from 2 months ago.

Name:  new gas pedal.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  71.1 KB

The first pic: I fixed the gas pedal problem. I had to take the tub off again lost track of how many times it's been off and on, but I'm getting pretty fast at it now. If you scroll back and look at my original firewall gas pedal set up compared to this new pic you can see how far I moved the pedal back, approx. 3". I'm glad I fixed it, sitting in the seat feels much better. I just cut out the piece, turned it around with a filler piece and welded it back in, took about a week to do.

Name:  powder coated cage.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  90.4 KB

The second pic: If you look at the expanded wire mesh, I had to cut an access hole to get to the gas tank filler. I hope this isn't going to be a pain in the ass to fill the tank with gear loaded. The front hoop is plumbed for antifreeze, (my heater), for summer night runs and the back is plumbed for my air tank. Approx. 10' of 1-1/2 DOM, close to 2 gallons of air. I ran into one problem when I lowered the cage 1-1/2". Now the seat head rest hits the top, stopping the seat from going all the way forward. I'm thinkin' I may live with it for now. I've thought I could maybe send the seats back to PRP and have them cut 2" off the head rest?

Name:  radiator bracket.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  81.0 KB

The third pic: The radiator is in. I welded channel on the bottom and sides and it just drops in. I still have to put some rubber in to stop any abrasion.
I need to start the shock hoop support bar. I may copy the one on my other rig, it's basic and easy to remove, the fan shroud will be welded on the bottom, all as one simple unit.

Name:  new front brakes.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  68.2 KB

The forth pic: I have the 3/4 ton brake conversion ready to go on, cromoly inner and outer shafts, and drive slugs. I'm still waiting for the 60 axle housing to get back. It's a GM low pinion, so the pinion is getting raised to 10 deg. off the top of the housing, inline with the T-case and knuckles rolled back to 15 degs. neg.

FUBAR
Old 06-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #145 (permalink)
Master Tinkerer

Member # 75774
Looking good! Definitely jealous!
Old 06-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimingman View Post
Looking good! Definitely jealous!
Thank you, I've been copying your rig. I'm lookin' forward to meet up with you and Overhauler at the Springs and have you pick this thing apart.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #147 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 225516
Is your PM box full?Sent a couple messages
Old 08-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 220897
A quick update; Well the front axle is back in, and graphics are on, I'm thinkin' of doing the cutting brakes and brake lines next. Well, enough of this rambling, on to the pics.

Name:  front10.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  85.3 KB Name:  back10.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  85.7 KB Name:  left side10.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  91.1 KB

I still have the hydraulic lines zip tied to the roll cage, I'll get to those later. Black Jeep is my kid's Jeep.

Name:  right side10.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  83.7 KB
Old 08-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #149 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
i like the boatsides lines

fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #150 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 225516
Looks good Tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in