BENCH RACING TIME! Help me decide what parts to put in my Willys MB and why - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 34347
If you already have a 289/T-18/D18 setup keep that. I've spent a lot of time changing directions of drivetrains and it's a waste of time unless you have unlimited funds and even then it's questionable.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejeeps View Post
Did i mention i'd like to drive this on the street and do at lest 70 mph with this thing? I know that any strong wind will blow these things around at 40+. I was thinking on going with 4:10's. Should i consider going with a deeper gear?

T18 and stock D20
6.32 x 2.0 x 4.10=51.82

With stock D300
6.32 x 2.62 x 4.10=67.88

Just adding a Tera-Lo 4-1 adds a ton.

D20
6.32 x 4.0 x 4.10=103.65

Obviously the D300 would be the same as the above.

It only gets deeper with the lower gears i could stuff into the axles. If i choose to go with a Tera-Lo i wouldn't have to necessarily get crazy with axle gears and lose top end rpm.
70+ in a flat fender is a touch unrealistic to me. While I have seen a few that would do it kinda, many people aren't gonna want to do it. With the shorter wheelbase and big tires, everything has to be on point so it doesn't get super squirrely and/or fatigue the crap out of the driver. On Rango, with the 5.38s it will do 60mph all day long up and down about any hill. I've had it up to 4000rpm in 4th a few times which would be 75mph or so. I didn't want to do it for more than a quick pass. The difference between 60 and 70 is pretty drastic for wind noise, buffeting, tire noise, steering, etc. I also notice a lot more heat and leaking out of the D18 with output shaft speeds above 3000rpm.

Upsteam gearing ( more trans/t-case gearing ) will put extra strain on the pinion and axle gears.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #28 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
70+ in a flat fender is a touch unrealistic to me. While I have seen a few that would do it kinda, many people aren't gonna want to do it. With the shorter wheelbase and big tires, everything has to be on point so it doesn't get super squirrely and/or fatigue the crap out of the driver. On Rango, with the 5.38s it will do 60mph all day long up and down about any hill. I've had it up to 4000rpm in 4th a few times which would be 75mph or so. I didn't want to do it for more than a quick pass. The difference between 60 and 70 is pretty drastic for wind noise, buffeting, tire noise, steering, etc. I also notice a lot more heat and leaking out of the D18 with output shaft speeds above 3000rpm.

Upsteam gearing ( more trans/t-case gearing ) will put extra strain on the pinion and axle gears.
I used to have a 1970 CJ5, only 1" longer wheelbase than a flatty. It had the 225V6, SM420, D18/OD and 4.88's. It was my daily driver and I'd regularly cruise at 70mph on the highway. It sure wasn't a sports car, but it wasn't squirrely either. BTW, it had 33" tires.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 202363
A little late to the party but I would second Mieser on the d18 not being the weapon for high speed. Mine is drip free till I take it down the highway then leaks likes a siv when I take it on the highway the drive train noise is also pretty ridicules.

As for ultimate build I think to keep it kind of correct would be a super charged Buick v6 mated to the t18 or SM420 to the D300.

For axles I second the Toyota axles. Thirds are easy to swap swap and with some stronger birfs I can't imagine you would ever have an issue with strength.

I would go spring under with minimal lift and some fancy atlas springs and fox shocks then rally that thing.

On a side note if you decide to get rid of the t18 I am not to far away and would be interested in taking it off your hands.
zuzu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 07:10 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 469401
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
I used to have a 1970 CJ5, only 1" longer wheelbase than a flatty. It had the 225V6, SM420, D18/OD and 4.88's. It was my daily driver and I'd regularly cruise at 70mph on the highway. It sure wasn't a sports car, but it wasn't squirrely either. BTW, it had 33" tires.
I'm a bit with this guy. I used my '71 (225,T15,D18) as a fair weather daily driver while in college around Atlanta... 65-70 in the fast lane wasn't unheard of while doing so. The gear whine did make it sound like it was about to take off though.

But to Meiser's point, no one wanted to ride shotgun the either, or really only did it once.

I even did the saginaw ps swap, but took it off the CJ because it made changing lanes at speed WAYY too easy. Bikini to came off as well as it acted like a sail and helped the PS decide which lane was best for me.

Also, I may have been much dumber in taking stupid risks during that time as well...
gte636p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte636p View Post
I'm a bit with this guy. I used my '71 (225,T15,D18) as a fair weather daily driver while in college around Atlanta... 65-70 in the fast lane wasn't unheard of while doing so. The gear whine did make it sound like it was about to take off though.

But to Meiser's point, no one wanted to ride shotgun the either, or really only did it once.

I even did the saginaw ps swap, but took it off the CJ because it made changing lanes at speed WAYY too easy. Bikini to came off as well as it acted like a sail and helped the PS decide which lane was best for me.

Also, I may have been much dumber in taking stupid risks during that time as well...

Mine did have the Saginaw power steering and I don't remember which box, but it was the one that required more turns lock-lock so it wasn't "twitchy", which helped because of the Detroit in the rear.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.

Last edited by SanDiegoCJ; 07-01-2018 at 03:45 PM.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 212475
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOffroader View Post
If you already have a 289/T-18/D18 setup keep that. I've spent a lot of time changing directions of drivetrains and it's a waste of time unless you have unlimited funds and even then it's questionable.
I plan on using a centered rear diff and running the D20 or a D300. I should keep it this way, but i want the parts to last a while and don't want to have to go back and change things later when i could have done it the first time.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 212475
Quote:

Well the ULTIMATE goal for this(and myself) would be to tackle The Ultimate Adventure. I know the minimum speed is 60 mph. I say 70 because i don't want to be on the freeway/highway and have some crazy person weaving around and making me feel uneasy. I'd like to have that passing power, but by the way you make it sound, it could just be a case of tuning. In that case i could go for deeper gears in the axles and the additional 2 cylinders would easily be able to pull me around.

I would like it to run maybe 500-800 rpm while crawling around on the trail. I don't think i will be able to bounce the needle off 0-300 like you can with rango. Might be another tuning deal when i get to the trail head.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 212475
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
A little late to the party but I would second Mieser on the d18 not being the weapon for high speed. Mine is drip free till I take it down the highway then leaks likes a siv when I take it on the highway the drive train noise is also pretty ridicules.

As for ultimate build I think to keep it kind of correct would be a super charged Buick v6 mated to the t18 or SM420 to the D300.

For axles I second the Toyota axles. Thirds are easy to swap swap and with some stronger birfs I can't imagine you would ever have an issue with strength.

I would go spring under with minimal lift and some fancy atlas springs and fox shocks then rally that thing.

On a side note if you decide to get rid of the t18 I am not to far away and would be interested in taking it off your hands.
Are those buicks similar to the 3800? If so, you run into the intake on the "wrong side" of things.

If only the toyota axles didn't require so much dang axle grease. Haha. Well that is still in the air, but i am still heavily leaning towards a 30/centered 44 as they will bolt right in place of the axles i have now. K.I.S.S. right?

I have been trying to think of some neat ways to package the suspension, mind you i have not started anything in the build, just slowly undoing poor work and scratching my head wondering what the PO's were thinking. I need to get a free program that will let me play around s that i can see if my ideas can become reality. Anyone have any of free programs?

Well, i will let you know about the t18 if it goes on the chopping block. Many people have already suggested i stay with it as i wont have many adapters to mess with,(which is a good point).
Old 07-12-2018, 05:47 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 20502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhauler View Post
Say NO to tub stretch!!
Agree do not hack up an original body in nice condition. If you need to stretch find a body that is already ratty
jeepcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 212475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj View Post
Agree do not hack up an original body in nice condition. If you need to stretch find a body that is already ratty
Nope. No stretch happening here. I Like the stock dimensions, but i like the High-line fenders which means i'd need to move things around just a tad.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejeeps View Post

I have been trying to think of some neat ways to package the suspension, mind you i have not started anything in the build, just slowly undoing poor work and scratching my head wondering what the PO's were thinking. I need to get a free program that will let me play around s that i can see if my ideas can become reality. Anyone have any of free programs?
Draftsight for 2D ( basically free autocad )

There is a free, but watermarked, version of SolidEdge from LaunchForth right now. A HUGE value for 3d design as long as you aren't trying to make money with it.

https://launchforth.io/tools/
Old 07-16-2018, 10:06 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 212475
Quote:
Draftsight for 2D ( basically free autocad )

There is a free, but watermarked, version of SolidEdge from LaunchForth right now. A HUGE value for 3d design as long as you aren't trying to make money with it.

https://launchforth.io/tools/
Thanks Meiser! I really need to play around with one of these(or both) and see if the suspension ideas i have floating around will translate well to the small wheelbase of these things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in