1946 CJ2A - mostly stock cruiser and mild wheeler - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2019, 07:17 AM   #26 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 110523
Great build.
Have you tried Walck's for parts? I have had pretty good luck with them. You can also try ECJ5 forum and post for specific stuff.
https://walcks4wd.com/
Flatfender Classifieds | ECJ5
Old 02-13-2019, 09:03 AM   #27 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Dang you work quickly!

No plans to update the front axle to disc?
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeep71 View Post
Great build.
Have you tried Walck's for parts? I have had pretty good luck with them. You can also try ECJ5 forum and post for specific stuff.
https://walcks4wd.com/
Flatfender Classifieds | ECJ5
Yes I have ordered some parts from Walcks, I got seat foam and covers from them that I'm happy with so far. I'll check out the other site, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
Dang you work quickly!

No plans to update the front axle to disc?
Not yet, I kinda want to see how bad they are first. I might go disk shopping after the first water crossing I encounter and come out with no brakes
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Been knocking out a little bit here and there after work this week to get ready to take it out this weekend.

I bought a painless waterproof 7 circuit deal, 4 ignition hot, 3 constant hot, pretty happy with it. Mounted it on the firewall up high slightly biased towards the passenger side. You can also see here just how good a paint job I did with the red.

Wiring is coming together under the hood. It cranks, so now just need to put some fuel in it and get them 60HP of fury roaring!

Tentative goal is to have it together early afternoon on Friday and hit the road
Old 02-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
Willys Fan

Member # 429498
Wow! Nice work on resurrecting your rig, and blazing fast too! Really looking great!
CJ3BL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 110523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
Not yet, I kinda want to see how bad they are first. I might go disk shopping after the first water crossing I encounter and come out with no brakes
That's why I went to disk brakes. Weekend on the Rubicon and the first stop on pavement almost put me on my side, passenger brake caught but no others. is right!
Old 02-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master Tinkerer

Member # 75774
keeping the generator or you got a 1 wire GM alternator?
Old 02-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
That's why I went to disk brakes. Weekend on the Rubicon and the first stop on pavement almost put me on my side, passenger brake caught but no others. is right!
Now that I've driven it a bit I think disks will be on the short list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimingman View Post
keeping the generator or you got a 1 wire GM alternator?
I was planning to go GM 1 wire, but ran out of time and just slapped the generator back in. It was working when I got it and it works now. The voltmeter I put in the dash is reading like 15-16 volts though so I think I need to figure out how to adjust the voltage down on the regulator so I don't cook the battery.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 120478
So if you've been following the story I've been busting ass to get this thing out on a trip presidents weekend. So last Friday the 15th I was cranking...

Got 3 new autometers in and working - water, oil and voltage. The ammeter isn't hooked up, haven't decided yet if I'm going to bother with it. As I said a a post back I was planning to put in an alternator... anyway this works for now!

I got myself good on a sharp edge inside of the oil bath air filter

Finally got it all together about 4PM on Friday.

So I drove it for the first time since all the work. Sort of the first time ever, when I test drove it it wasn't running well and had zero brakes. I did a couple laps around the block, adjusted the rod on the brake master cylinder to take a little less pedal travel to engage, slapped it on the trailer, and hit the road about 530PM, heading for Somerset, CA.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #35 (permalink)
Willys Fan

Member # 429498
Way to go! Amazingly fast progress. Have a great first trip!
CJ3BL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #36 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 195073
Looks great, wish I could drive one of mine around. Do you need the strap that goes under the steering column, if you do I will look and see if I have out in the yard. Your welcome to it, just tell me where to send it.

Skip
Old 02-22-2019, 10:11 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip44 View Post
Looks great, wish I could drive one of mine around. Do you need the strap that goes under the steering column, if you do I will look and see if I have out in the yard. Your welcome to it, just tell me where to send it.

Skip
You don't like the ziptie!?

Thanks for the offer! I took mine off so it's somewhere in the garage...
Old 02-23-2019, 05:02 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 49453
Somerset? Did you guys go play in the snow up on Omo Ranch Rd?
Old 02-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Really nice. You don't need disks on the front of that light vehicle.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019, 06:58 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG48 View Post
Somerset? Did you guys go play in the snow up on Omo Ranch Rd?
Looking at a map, no, but I couldn't tell you where we were exactly, I was playing follow the leader... From the intersection of Mt Aukum and Bucks Bar/Grizzly Flats we went east on Grizzly flats probably... 10 miles, then made a left up a paved road that is plowed for the first bit, and then isn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
Really nice. You don't need disks on the front of that light vehicle.
The thought of disks is less about absolute stopping power than it is reliable stopping power. As you said its quite light and my new drums dialed in right seem to work pretty good. I'm more concerned about coming off the trail someday with them full of mud, water, snow, etc. and not people able to stop. For now they are new, and seem to work OK so I have no immediate plans to change anything.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Saturday February 16th, 2019

We take the Willy's off the trailer and hit the road. With a whopping 3 minutes of seat time, we cruise up to the Crossroads Cafe in Somerset, CA where we are meeting a bunch of folks with vintage 4x4's to go play in the snow. Despite the cold the Willy's is running good. On the open road for the first time I realize just what 5.38's, small tires, 3 gears and 60HP means. It's different to say the least. We pull a few short grades in 2nd WOT probably maintaining 30MPH. All things considered the thing is running great. My driveway alignment seems solid and the tires are balanced well enough. Then again we aren't going fast enough for any of those things to matter too much.

Shirts are handed out, breakfast burritos are consumed, coffee is drank, and we gather around trip organizer Ryan for our briefing for the day. Shout out to the Crossroads Cafe for accommodating us (rumor has it we ran them out of tortillas)!

The snow line was ~ 2,500 feet and we were at ~ 2k so we wouldn't have to go far to find snow. With a bunch of old 4x4's on small tires we didn't exactly need a whole lot of snow either for it to be challenging.

We headed east on Mt Aukum Rd. Turns out modern cars have winshield wipers for a reason... I was using an umbrella to reach over the windshield frame and wipe the snow off the windshield. After ~ 15 minutes we turned down a road (good directions I know) where we paused to collect the group, lock the hubs, and other 4x4 things.

Some drivers opt for chains. A pain in the ass but very helpful with limited traction on these little tires. I was chain-less and mostly fine but it would've been nice on occasion.

Before too long the plow line ended and we were officially 4 wheeling in the snow!

Lining up for the obligatory group shot

More to come

Last edited by Dan90FSB; 02-25-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 85771
So much fun!
Old 02-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #43 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
I freaking love it!
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 09:51 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 120478
A few better group shots

My junk parked next to this FC complete with awesome patina

Driving back out towards the end of the day

A few miles from the hotel the engine starts losing power. At first I can't decide if its just 60HP going uphill but by the time I was down to first gear WOT doing 10MPH I decided something was wrong. We pulled over and tinkered under the hood. We fiddled with the distributor cap and points, replaced a missing nut on the generator with some bailing wire and it seemed to run better at first but was definitely still down on power.

Fortunately the last bit to the hotel was downhill and then we were on a remote country road and just cruised slowly. The Fiance and I were pretty cold after sitting in on open top jeep in the snow all day so we b-lined for the shower.

I'm still not sure what the power issue is. Despite all the work I did I never touched the distributor, the points, the timing or the carb. I wanted to do those things but ran out of time and it ran great on my test drives, and in fact all day wheeling. Anyway those are obvious places to start since I want to go through those components anyway. My money is on something with distributor, points and/or timing.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a solid state distributor for one of these things? I want to keep most of the look, feel, and function of the original truck but constantly messing with points might be where I draw the line.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:42 AM   #45 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 110523
Great pics and looks like a good time. I need to find out where that is and get up there. Very impressed by how quick you got your rig running and on the road.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:43 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 182717
Thanks for the pics! While it looks like a good time, it also looks cold, wet and miserable too!
Old 03-01-2019, 05:36 AM   #47 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 624137
Fantastic story and photos!!! Thx 4 sharing!!!
jpet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2019, 07:35 AM   #48 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25958
Awesome build and thread! Love it!

Don't know if it was mentioned prior - that is a VEC tub. It's an original early 46 column shift body. Makes it even a bit cooler.
nofender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Great pics and looks like a good time. I need to find out where that is and get up there. Very impressed by how quick you got your rig running and on the road.
Thanks. I took a little time off between jobs, that and 12 hour days in the garage got it together pretty quick. I suppose the simplicity of the vehicle helps too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage. View Post
Thanks for the pics! While it looks like a good time, it also looks cold, wet and miserable too!
It was, at times, cold and wet. I don't think I'd say it was ever miserable. We were mostly prepared with proper clothes for sitting in the snow all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpet View Post
Fantastic story and photos!!! Thx 4 sharing!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofender View Post
Awesome build and thread! Love it!

Don't know if it was mentioned prior - that is a VEC tub. It's an original early 46 column shift body. Makes it even a bit cooler.
Thanks. Yeah I've got a buddy that geeks out on these old Willy's and he mentioned it was an early one. I guess the 3 VIN / informational plates on the passenger side is another give away. None of this was terribly intentional, I just wanted a 2a as close to stock as I could find and here we are.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Nice!

I'm just south of San Jose in Gilroy, once I replace the clutch mine is back on the road again, there has to be more flat fenders out here! :-D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in