1946 CJ2A - mostly stock cruiser and mild wheeler - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #51 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 110523
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
Nice!

I'm just south of San Jose in Gilroy, once I replace the clutch mine is back on the road again, there has to be more flat fenders out here! :-D
I don't have a flat fender but a 71' and moved to Morgan Hill in August. I have a friend in Gilroy with a 59' that was his grandfathers. I belong to the MTA club and we hit Hollister among others pretty regular. Supposed to go March 23rd.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeep71 View Post
I don't have a flat fender but a 71' and moved to Morgan Hill in August. I have a friend in Gilroy with a 59' that was his grandfathers. I belong to the MTA club and we hit Hollister among others pretty regular. Supposed to go March 23rd.
I'll have to join yall sometime I've been up here for over a year now, and I haven't gone wheeling once Just so many things to do with the house, and then right after replacing a broken leaf spring... the clutch on the willys went

I'v seen I believe an M38 A1 in south Morgan hill off of Montery with a trailer. Looked pretty sweet from the road.

What is the MTA club?

Last edited by danielbuck; 03-05-2019 at 07:58 AM.
danielbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #53 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 110523
MTA is Mountain Transit Authority. Used to be Toyota only club but open to all now. They are having their 43rd annual Mud in yer eye event at Hollister Hills the weekend of 4/26/19-4/28/19. I send you a PM with the info, don't want to hijack this thread.

Last edited by jjeep71; 03-05-2019 at 09:40 AM.
jjeep71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Wow you really put a lot of work into that thing!
If you do decide to do disc brakes, my runs disc'd from a 60's Mustang, so it's still semi vintage.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
Nice!

I'm just south of San Jose in Gilroy, once I replace the clutch mine is back on the road again, there has to be more flat fenders out here! :-D
There's a lot of them out there, as evidence by our recent trip we got quite a few out wheeling! Ping me 10 months from now for info on the Feb 2020 run

Quote:
MTA is Mountain Transit Authority. Used to be Toyota only club but open to all now. They are having their 43rd annual Mud in yer eye event at Hollister Hills the weekend of 4/26/19-4/28/19. I send you a PM with the info, don't want to hijack this thread.
I didn't realize they had opened their vehicle requirements, thats cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
Wow you really put a lot of work into that thing!
If you do decide to do disc brakes, my runs disc'd from a 60's Mustang, so it's still semi vintage.
Thanks, Mark. Is this a popular swap that I can Google or some crazy customer shit? Yes I realize this is a lazy question since I could just Google, but you mentioned so I'm asking
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #56 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 110523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
There's a lot of them out there, as evidence by our recent trip we got quite a few out wheeling! Ping me 10 months from now for info on the Feb 2020 run

I didn't realize they had opened their vehicle requirements, thats cool.

Thanks, Mark. Is this a popular swap that I can Google or some crazy customer shit? Yes I realize this is a lazy question since I could just Google, but you mentioned so I'm asking
Good club that actually wheels. Still have to deal with a little Toyota vs. Jeep stuff but all in good fun.

I have a D27 with 4:88's, Lockrite, Chevy disc conversion, new Warn hubs and tie rod flip sitting in my garage if you are interested. Needs TRE's and the drag link is a bit bent.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Good club that actually wheels. Still have to deal with a little Toyota vs. Jeep stuff but all in good fun.

I have a D27 with 4:88's, Lockrite, Chevy disc conversion, new Warn hubs and tie rod flip sitting in my garage if you are interested. Needs TRE's and the drag link is a bit bent.
I have a Ford and a Willy's so I'll skip the Toyota vs Jeep thing completely (:

I think the only part I'd maybe want is the disks... I like the 538 gears I have to try and make up for lack of power. On second thought maybe not a bad idea for parts and such.... I'll PM you
Old 03-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Some random pics from the trip...

At the 4 corners in Somerset, loaded up and ready to come home

Driving home. For anyone that knows the area, this is through Amador county, wine country, you can see grape vines off to the left. Unusual to have this much snow here, this is probably under 2k feet.

Last edited by Dan90FSB; 03-12-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #59 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 10365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
Some random pics from the trip...
Just browsing the Willys forum section and caught your above trip pics. Just awesome...the spread of stockish vintage rigs and the conditions just gets my mind going! Looks like a great time--thanks for sharing.

Last edited by CJay; 03-12-2019 at 02:47 PM.
CJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 01:28 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJay View Post
Just browsing the Willys forum section and caught your above trip pics. Just awesome...the spread of stockish vintage rigs and the conditions just gets my mind going! Looks like a great time--thanks for sharing.
Glad you enjoyed. It's pretty cool doing some actual wheeling in these old rigs.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 120478
If you've been following the story, the 2a started running like shit towards the end of the snow adventure. No power at all. Hard start. I limped it onto the trailer, into the garage and haven't touched it for like a month now. My best guess was the points/ignition since I didn't touch it at all and who knows how long it'd been since any of that was touched.

So I tore into the distributor. The gap was off, and the oddly the rotor was cracked

I decided to add some modern touches with a Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition.

I also bought their flamethrower coil, part number 40611, its the 3 ohm which is supposedly the right match for the Ignitor on a 4cyl.

So I've got no spark. I've checked wiring, coil is hot, etc.

Is there any way to test the Ignitor? Anyone with experience on these have advice? Maybe their's something stupid I've missed

Last edited by Dan90FSB; 03-25-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 34347
I have nothing to add other than do not remove the green tape.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:12 AM   #63 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 422178
A friend of mine has Petronix in his ride and was having trouble with it . He called Petronix and they were very helpful in getting his problem solved. Give them a call.

-1941 slatt grill
-1944 GPW
-1946 2A
-1948 2A
-1951 M38
-1954 diesel 3B

Last edited by thefixxer; 03-25-2019 at 11:12 AM.
thefixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOffroader View Post
I have nothing to add other than do not remove the green tape.
I did not remove the green tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefixxer View Post
A friend of mine has Petronix in his ride and was having trouble with it . He called Petronix and they were very helpful in getting his problem solved. Give them a call.
I emailed their support team so we'll see what they have to say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in