1955 willys Jeep truck (Advice on first build) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 665706
Hello everyone! My name is Simon, I live in central California. I am hoping to get some help with my first build. First question: How hard would it be to put the 44 and 60 from an 86 ramcharger under my 55 willys Jeep truck? The truck has a 327 Chevy, np205, th 350, 44 Dana in rear and 25 or 27 in the front. Also if you know another donor car that’s running gear would work better please let me know. Oh I also have a 93 ford ranger xlt and was thinking maybe the frame would be better than the original?
Thanks in advanced! Happy day to you.

Last edited by Simonsk84life; 05-19-2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: To add
Simonsk84life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 44053
Wow, sounds like a great project. Welcome to Pirate. Its an easy swap, but will require some cutting and welding. I can't remember whether the Willys spring width was 27.5" or 30.75", but either way, will not be the 32" that your Dodge Dana 44 will have. You'll have to modify the frame leaf spring mounts.

The Dodge Dana 44's are not common swaps. The can have undesirable steering knuckles and unit-bearing hubs.

The rear Dana 60 is fine. But it too will not bolt in directly. Its easier than the front to fix. You'll have to cut off the leaf spring and shock mounts. There are a thousand placed your can buy those for less than $50. Of course, you'll need a grinder and welder.

I'd stay away from the Ranger chassis. If it were a 4.0L V6 with a manual transmission, it'd be okay. It probably makes more power than an old 327, but it may not. But the automatics had issues and the TTB Dana 35 front axle is not very stout.

Post up some photos and it'll be easier to see what your vision is. Unless you're going to do some extreme wheeling, I'd run what you have in the Willys. Its not super strong, but remember those axles have been there since it was new. They're adequate for light use. That'll give you time to decided exactly what you NEED, not necessarily what you want.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsk84life View Post
Hello everyone! My name is Simon, I live in central California. I am hoping to get some help with my first build. First question: How hard would it be to put the 44 and 60 from an 86 ramcharger under my 55 willys Jeep truck?

a ramcharger would be a unit bearing d44 and a 9.25 rear, both are junk and a waste of time; for this application

The truck has a 327 Chevy, np205, th 350, 44 Dana in rear and 25 or 27 in the front. Also if you know another donor car that’s running gear would work better please let me know.

why not use and/or rebuild the 327/350/205? That's a solid, inexpensive,and reliable setup

Oh I also have a 93 ford ranger xlt and was thinking maybe the frame would be better than the original?

Take the whole ranger to the scrap yard where it belongs, nothing about it is useful as a donor vehicle.

Thanks in advanced! Happy day to you.
What are the goals? Considering you came here I'm hoping a mild (or more capable) wheeler...

Last edited by Black Sheep; 05-19-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 57535
Simon,

Depending on your goals, a GM 10bolt or D44 front axle is the most common swap (ie from a 72-87 GM 4x4). I think they are a little wider than stock by maybe 5 ".

I am building a wagon and used the front and rear D44 from a Grand Wagoneer as they are close to stock width.

Note that both of these suggestions are 6 lug axles vs the 5 lug stock axles from Willys.

You may want to take a look a oldwilllysforum.com. There are a lot of similar builds there.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in