1962 Willys Wagon Build - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 111133
what are you gonna do with the rest of the tahoe? might be interested - one of the nicer builds i've seen in a while
OUTLAW304 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #52 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
It's gone. I took it to junk yard and got 35 bucks for it. Not worth my time to deal with it any longer than I did.

Thanks for the kudos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MidnightBurn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 8294
If you are looking for paint suggestions take a look at this database. They have some of the original paint selection, including different regions.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorli...es/Willys.html

When I was looking to paint my pickup, before I sold it, I was leaning towards the Riviera Gray and Bermuda Blue combo.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 111535
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTonka View Post
If you are looking for paint suggestions take a look at this database. They have some of the original paint selection, including different regions.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorli...es/Willys.html

When I was looking to paint my pickup, before I sold it, I was leaning towards the Riviera Gray and Bermuda Blue combo.

Great link and I love this build, it is giving me some inspiration to get out and do some work on my 49 Willys truck.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #55 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
Yea, thanks for the link. I have looked at so many colors lately I can't see straight. It would be pretty cool to go with a factory 2 tone paint scheme.

There are some nice blues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #56 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
Well, not much to report lately. I have been struggling with pain for weeks. But I have been getting some mockup work done on a lot of things. Here are a few shots of the way the seats will look. It's too bad, but I will have to modify the brackets on these to make them fit low enough. It won't be hard to do; just one more thing to add to the list. I think they look pretty nice. They are super comfortable with power lumbar supports on the passenger side and power everything on the driver's side.

And here is the new quarter panel mocked up. I tell you the quality of craftmanship is SO shitty on these. If I hadn't already cut off the originals I would send these back. I called them and asked what the deal is and they said the dies are worn out and there is only one guy in the entire US that's making them. Sorry, but it's just one of those things. I said, well you should tell people that before they buy them. I truly expected to get totally straight "new" quarter panels, but these are definitely not that. They look good in the photos, but the inset panel depths are very inconsistent and they ribs are ridiculous. They don't end sharply like they are supposed to. In fact, the dies are so worn out that they tweak the metal around the ribs terribly. Oh well, I don't have a choice now. I will just work them over as much as possible before I put them on and use some filler to make them perfect.

Check out some closeups. I don't have an expensive camera, so I hope you can see the detail on these.

Cracks in the fuel filler:

Distorted ribs:

Stretchmarks:

1/2 rocker rib. This part of the quarter panel is bent 1/2" too short.

Although it seems like I haven't gotten much done lately, I have made great progress in my design and measurements in preparation for sheet metal for the dash, firewall, floor, and rocker panels. I have also been studying the comprehensive wiring harness for the Tahoe to get familiar with every part. There are some things I simply won't need and if I can remove some wiring from the harness, I will. A bit scary though since it seems everything is connected in some way.

The other thing I have been considering lately is getting the entire tub dipped and e-coated. There is just no way sandblasting is going to get all the rust from in between the seams. Anybody had any experience with e-coating? It really seems like the way to go. Somewhat pricey, but definitely thorough. I don't want rust poking its little turtle head out through a brand new paint job in 2 years. I am doing this right.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 03-17-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 73315
Yikes! It looks like both panels have problems. I need the same Q-panels. My wagon is a renovation project so it won't be perfect, but it would still be nice to able to get good parts. Thanks for the heads up!
p14175 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 8294
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBurn View Post
Yea, thanks for the link. I have looked at so many colors lately I can't see straight. It would be pretty cool to go with a factory 2 tone paint scheme.

There are some nice blues.
When my dad was stripping down his wagon he found a creme white color. We were able to match it up with the color chips from the website. I found some blue and red on parts I used on my pickup that I matched up to the color chips. They are pretty accurate.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 44856
Send a message via AIM to DownNDirty
That sucks that those panels are so out of shape. I am glad that you posted it though because I was tempted to cut mine out and order some panels. Now I will just fix the ones I have. Keep up the good work.
DownNDirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 111535
Were did you buy the panels from?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #61 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
I bought them from Walck's, but everybody gets them from the same source; including Willys America and Kaiser Willys. There is only one guy making them. In fact, I think they all get them from Walck's. By the way, the rockers and rocker guards are very well done. Nice and straight and almost an exact match. They are worth the money.

I asked them what ever happened to the original dies for the front fenders, hoods, doors, sides, etc. and they said they were all melted down after production stopped. What I would give for a brand new fender or brand new hood. I know lots of other people would too. I also asked why they don't just do some repairs on the dies they have and they said it just isn't worth it to them. They only sell 20 of them each year for very little profit. Too bad they aren't in the hands of someone that really has a love of the old wagons and just wants to keep them alive.

Maybe we can all join forces and get a movie star or mega rich musician, or even a football player to help fund the development of some new dies!!! Now that would be SWEEEEEEET!!!!

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 12-02-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 19851
Man I cant believe the quality of those panels. PO cut the bodyline out around the rear wheel opening on mine and I was going to go the panel route too but not anymore. Build looks good I wish I could keep up with your build pace.
bigwill5o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #63 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
Progress for today.

I built a custom bracket to mount my steering column, brake pedal, brake light switch, and hydroboost/master cylinder. It was quite challlenging. I had to build it to clear the hood hinges, pulley mechanism for the Willys wiper system and defrost vent.

I am very happy with the results.

View from the driver's seat. It feels perfect and tilts out of the way very well to make it easy to get in and out.

Once the firewall is in place, I will finalize the connections, add more braces, and install the hydroboost system. I built it so I wouldn't have to modify the brake rod length, which is nice. I used my CJ-7 pedal rather than the Tahoe pedal.

The linkage will exit the firewall nice and clean.

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 03-17-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 35163
This is an awesome build, can't wait to see how it turns out
Old 12-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 14196
Send a message via AIM to wes8517 Send a message via MSN to wes8517 Send a message via Yahoo to wes8517
for the rear axle just get some spacers/adapters to go to the right lug pattern and right width but still retain the stock brake setup. im sure you already have that in mind but thought id mention it

really nice build

wes
Old 12-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 23579
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes8517 View Post
for the rear axle just get some spacers/adapters to go to the right lug pattern and right width but still retain the stock brake setup. im sure you already have that in mind but thought id mention it
I don't know if things have changed, but I was never able to get a spacer to go from 6 lug to 5 on 5.5, or any 5 lug pattern.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #67 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
A-Dapt-It USA shows a 6 on 5.5 to 5 on 5.5 adapter, but it looks like it's only available in 2". They are $100 each.

A friend of mine here in Boise is a machinist. He has redrilled hubs and shortened/resplined axles for many of us and does a fantastic job. Very clean work. He's the one who machined down my front 60 hubs to 5 on 5.5. I will also have him drill and tap my flat top knuckles and build high steer arms. For the knuckles, machine work, and arms, he only charges me $250. That includes my own arm design specifications.

If only my project sequence would try to keep up with my changing mind, things would be much easier. I should have waited to buy wheels!! That is another option though. I could save these wheels and just buy new 6 luggers. All in all it might work out the same cost-wise and I end up with an extra set of nice wheels for another project. Hey, I only have 2 projects going right now. A 3rd would be awesome!!

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 12-09-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #68 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
Well, tonight I figured out how to combine the stock Willys wiper pully system with the Tahoe wiper motor. It is definitely not an easy task.

I mocked it up using a piece of sheet metal as a firewall. I mounted the motor then modified the Willys center cable mechanism. I cut it apart and welded on a 4" tab. Then I just made a link between the two. It seems to be working very well so far. Now I will have delay wipers! And the only thing visible from the engine bay is the wiper motor, so it will keep things nice and clean.

I will try to post some photos of it once I get it done.

I am starting to get pretty excited as all the little things start coming together. I will work on the dash next. Gauge placement, light switch, heater/AC controls, vents, stereo, etc...

I saved all of the original rib sections from the original quarter panels. They were in pretty good shape. I am trying to figure out a way to integrate one or two of them into the dash. I want to find a good balance between modern and antique. It will be challenging for sure, but a lot of fun.

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 12-09-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #69 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
Ok, well I finished the steering column bracket. I built it into a combination bracket that now holds the steering column, brake pedal, and master cylinder/hydroboost. The cool thing is that I was able to build it so I could use the original Tahoe brake light switch. It has 6 wires coming into it, so it's not quite as easy as the old style 2 wire switch. Now it plugs right into the factory Tahoe harness.

The brake pedal is my old Commando pedal, but I drove out the master cylinder pin and replaced it with the pin from the Tahoe pedal. I wanted to use the Tahoe pedal, but it had some pretty funky angles that weren't compatible. I also used part of the push rod from the Tahoe vacuum booster and welded it to the rod from my hydroboost. The pedal is a little high right now, but that's easy to adjust. Once I get the floor in I will dial it in.

This was a lot of work, because I built every piece from scratch.

I am very happy with how it turned out.

Tahoe brake switch installed

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 03-17-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 77571
Damm, your are good !!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 35564
I know you were looking for some spacers here ya go. prolly the ones i'm gonna get for my isuzu rearend. http://www.weirdharoldscoolparts.com/new%20page0.htm they are 51.95 a piece and as small as 1 inch.

Last edited by m38a1jpn; 12-11-2008 at 08:53 PM.
m38a1jpn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #72 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
Delay wipers on a Willys wagon. Well, now I have them.

Let me tell you, this is way harder than I though it would be. It took about 6 iterations to get it just right. The distance between the motor and the central cable pivot, the length of the arms and links, the angle of everything; tough sumbitch. But I finally got it.

I cut the cable pivot apart and used just the interior side of the mechanism, so everything could be under the dash. This took a while, but I want to keep the engine bay as clean as possible. The only thing on the engine side now will be the wiper motor.

Here is a photo of it.

And a little video. Sorry for the shitty quality. It's a cell phone video.

Wiper System Video

I had originally planned to eliminate the cable system and go to solid links throughout, but space is at a minimum under this dash. There just isn't enough room for it. Besides, I have to keep some of the originality.

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 03-17-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 124672
I have been following this build for a while, nice work. Kudos to you for hitting it hard and staying after it!!
What dimensions did you wind up with for the hole centerlines for the motor tab, and the pivot bar?
Old 12-14-2008, 12:46 AM   #74 (permalink)
Back to Basics

Member # 101869
I made major progress today.

I bought sheet metal for the firewall and floor and headed home to get to work.

Here is what I completed:

Firewall cut out and tacked in place
Steering column
Brake system (pedal, hydroboost)
Main heater/AC unit
Heater/AC fan
Wiper system

Firewall in place.

Heater/AC fan mounted

The suck side of the fan will pull air from inside the cab just behind the main heater/AC unit. There is a ton of room back there. At this time it will only work in recirculating mode. I just don't have the room to install the fresh air mechanism. But I will work on that later and maybe come up with something.

And the biggest news of the day! I got the wiper system completely done. It works SO awesome! The second I had everything hooked up I grabbed the wiring harness and plugged it in to the motor and column to see how it worked. It worked AWESOME!! I am so stoked about this!! Now that I know it all works perfectly, I will build a nice looking main link and clean everything up. It looks a bit clunky at this point.

Wiper motor mounted. I had to mount it right at the top of the firewall. It doesn't look like I will have any clearance issues with the hood. I put it on and it looked good from what I can tell at this point.

Last edited by MidnightBurn; 04-07-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:09 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 28620
Lovin the build. It's always good to see old iron being built to drive, and not just to be thrashed on the trail.
2K1TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in