Flatty build "one piece at a time" - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #51 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9310
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003_ram View Post
And on other news I drew up a rough picture of what this beast should looke like when finished, all to scale, with the cage design I am planning on using for it. Cage will by 1 3/4" DOM, grill hoop will be 1 1/4" DOM. I don't have any fancy software so I do it by hand, here it is:
I see another Graham´s MB Clone
Keep on the good work !!

Graham´s

Mine

Yours

Last edited by SVARAS; 12-21-2009 at 11:04 AM.
SVARAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 127313
But this one will be desert camo!

EDIT: Damn that's funny, the picture I drew looks a hell of a lot like the first picture you posted of Grahams!

Willys Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[I]
“If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”[/I] - John Wooden [B]RIP[/B]
[I]"Let every man have a pistol, instead of one man have a tank."[/I]

Last edited by 2003_ram; 12-21-2009 at 11:20 AM.
2003_ram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 127313
Okay, got a lot done today. I boxed the center passenger side of the frame. I used the same thickness material as the frame (12 gauge) as should always be done (but I had what I had with the front end) and stitch welded it. Came out pretty nice! I have to do the driver side and the bottom side of the passenger. Let me know what you guys think.

Willys Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[I]
“If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”[/I] - John Wooden [B]RIP[/B]

Old 12-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 127313
I also threw those boggers on the front of my CJ I'm doing a disk brake swap on, looks a little funky with 2" wheel spacers!

Willys Build

[I]
Old 12-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 127313

Got a better weld on it today. Bad thing is it poured down rain when I was done, so I gotta scrape the rust off tomorrow.

Willys Build

[I]
Old 12-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 141308
Nice drawing! That's going to look good when you're all done.
95 Why J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 127313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Why J View Post
Nice drawing! That's going to look good when you're all done.
Thanks! I can't wait to get the chassis rolling! Then onto body work, which will be a hoot. Thanks for the complement man!

Willys Build

[I]
Old 12-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 124889
Looks great. I always love the willy..
Old 12-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 127313
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAddict View Post
Looks great. I always love the willy..

Thanks man.

Willys Build

[I]
Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 127313
Okay little update, front axle will be coming back 2 weeks from now (well maybe get it back before then, but won't be finished until 2 weeks).

I got a RBD-050 Bender, god I love Santa. I also picked up the last stick of 1 3/4".120 DOM tubing at the metal yard. I'll use 5' of it to practice bending with. This week I am also going to install the ARB in the rear axle. I am up in the air right now on whether I should truss the rear axle while I'm at it, I would use the 1 3/4".120 tubing for it? And of course ARC weld it.

Willys Build

[I]
Old 01-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 127313
Got the front axle back cut down to 58 1/2" WMS from 67". Came out GREAT. Mooge ball joints, 4:88 R/P, ARB. The rest I cam setting up. Waiting for the shafts from Alloy USA to come in (2 weeks) and then it goes under the Jeep.

Willys Build

[I]

Last edited by 2003_ram; 01-06-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 127313
Got my transfercase coming, it's a 1980 D300. I got the 1980 model because it has the shorter rear shaft making it so I gained 1 1/8" rear driveshaft length, which in a rig THIS SHORT I need everything I can get. When we get the case, we'll go with JB conversions 4:1 kit. Also should be getting my transmission tomorrow. Almost have everything I need for the jeep, now it's finding the time to throw this shit together.

Willys Build

[I]

Last edited by 2003_ram; 01-07-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #63 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 17680
Quote:
Got my transfercase coming, it's a 1980 D300. I got the 1980 model because it has the shorter rear shaft making it so I gained 1 1/8" rear driveshaft length, which in a rig THIS SHORT I need everything I can get. When we get the case, we'll go with JB conversions 4:1 kit. Also should be getting my transmission tomorrow. Almost have everything I need for the jeep, now it's finding the time to throw this shit together.
If you end up needing a stouter output( I did, running the same short shaft as you), get the Novak ultra short 32 spline output for the rear......You will gain about another inch and a half...but its about the $450 range.....I went through two of the stock outputs before they were able to get the production ultra short kit to me.

Link to my M38 build:

Last edited by WildWilly4x4; 01-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.
WildWilly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #64 (permalink)
CRO

Member # 7588
willys look

this

or this
Old 01-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 127313
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWilly4x4 View Post
If you end up needing a stouter output( I did, running the same short shaft as you), get the Novak ultra short 32 spline output for the rear......You will gain about another inch and a half...but its about the $450 range.....I went through two of the stock outputs before they were able to get the production ultra short kit to me.
Should I have gotten the longer rear shaft version if I cam going to replace that part anyways? I paid $100 more for the short shaft.

CRO, that willys is the same look I am going for, military looking but heavy duty. I decided to paint the frame and all those pices the army color, trying to talk my dad into going flat military paint all around. If you look at my profil picture it's the same willys!

Willys Build

[I]

Last edited by 2003_ram; 01-08-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #66 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 17680
Quote:
Should I have gotten the longer rear shaft version if I cam going to replace that part anyways? I paid $100 more for the short shaft.

CRO, that willys is the same look I am going for, military looking but heavy duty. I decided to paint the frame and all those pices the army color, trying to talk my dad into going flat military paint all around. If you look at my profil picture it's the same willys!
No, Thats the cool thing about Novak's kit, it fits any 300 case, factory long or short.....it has both patterns on it.

Link to my M38 build:
WildWilly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 127313
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWilly4x4 View Post
No, Thats the cool thing about Novak's kit, it fits any 300 case, factory long or short.....it has both patterns on it.

If I break the short shaft than I'll get novaks, I'll give it a go there as is.

Oil was nasty. Shafts are pitted, so I am going to 35 splien shafts, axles weak point will be the 8.5" Ring Gear, but with 35's this little jeep will be bomb proof. Pulled the R/P earlier tonight. Tomorrow I hope to finish the frame and rear bumper.

Willys Build

[I]

Last edited by 2003_ram; 01-25-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 17967
Keep going

Your build reminded me of mine. But you need more lug nuts...

I recommend a Rear HP 60 Detroit and 33's. 5.0 EFI, NP435. Yeah, it fits.

jamesroney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 127313
Nice rig! Anymore pics? I like the 5 5.5 because it swaps with my other Jeeps.

Willys Build

[I]
Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 17967
Sure.

Quote:
Nice rig! Anymore pics? I like the 5 5.5 because it swaps with my other Jeeps.
More Pics??? Sure...I have TONS. (excuse the pun!)

PM me and I can e-mail them to you.
jamesroney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 127313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesroney View Post
More Pics??? Sure...I have TONS. (excuse the pun!)

PM me and I can e-mail them to you.
Pm'd.

Willys Build

[I]
Old 02-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 130014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRO View Post

this
Honegger's old coil-sprung flatty right?
Old 02-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 103510
I like this look, what type of set-up, i.e. example: axles, lift, model (5 or 7), year and etc. is this CJ? Thanks!
TennFire-1521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 103510
Quote:
I also threw those boggers on the front of my CJ I'm doing a disk brake swap on, looks a little funky with 2" wheel spacers!

I like this look, what type of set-up, i.e. example: axles, lift, model (5 or 7), year and etc. is this CJ? Thanks!
TennFire-1521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 127313
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennFire-1521 View Post
It's a '76 cj7, D30 front in that picture and M20 rear with 2" spacers. Lift is a worn out SOA. It's been a great Jeep, never had one issue with it running hard trails (though driving experience goes a long ways).

Willys Build

[I]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in