Just another flatty build... - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 133869
lookin good man

-Alex
alehandro3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 135104
Well, the LS2 XJ isn't done, there are some repairs/improvements to be made. However, I do have intentions of getting back on this now. I ordered the replacement heims for the drag link (had to steal 2 for the XJ) and got it back on today. I also ordered the headers from Sanderson. Damn they are proud of those things. My AA fenderwell headers were only $200 when I bought them and they were chrome plated. These are bare steel and were $315!!! Shit! I am about to send ORI an email and find out what's up b/c this is BS quite frankly. Its been almost 5 months since I have ordered them.

I had gotten an entire wiring harness out of an S10 blazer to use, but the more I think about it, the less I want to use it. I am wanting to keep the wiring as simple as possible on this one, so I'm thinking of just buying a painless engine harness (found one for $230) and then just doing the remaining stuff myself. Im only going to have 2 headlights (Hella 500FF housings with HID conversion) and tail/stop lights, so there's not much of a need for anything else. I don't need a horn, windshield wipers, turn signals, etc. However, I also found a "universal wiring harness" that has everything I need and quite a bit more for $170 so I might even go that route.

I am thinking that I just need to get the painless engine harness though and then just do the rest myself. One good argument to this is that the column I have needs a lock cylinder, which is $50. If I do the wiring myself, I can just use a universal ignition switch (I still have the old one so that's free) and save some money.

Last edited by Team Willys; 07-09-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Team Willys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 135104
Well, I finally got some real work done to this thing... I've been messing around with it here and there but mostly small stuff. I decided to take the week off from any customer work in order to make time for finishing Betty. Anyway, this past weekend and today I got the floors installed and finished up, pretty happy how they turned out. It wasn't hard, but it was pretty time consuming. The factory Willys firewall isn't all that easy to mate with a custom floor, but I got it done. It was also difficult to figure out how to mount the seats and be able to have a floor under them too. I ended up changing the mounts out and that made it a lot easier. The plans for the rest of the week are to basically get all of the fabrication done. I am picking up the 18 GA sheet metal to skin the sides tomorrow or Wednesday. I also need to make the headlight mounts, rear tow points, rear fairlead mount, solenoid box mounts for both winches, a computer mount, and a CB and antenna mount. A bunch of easy stuff basically. I don't even think the skins are going to be hard to do...

Anyway, the goal is to have all of that stuff done by the end of the week.

Here are pictures of the floor:

Old 09-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #129 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 98177
Very very nice fab on the tunnel. IMHO, I would have made the center section removable to access the shift cover...JMO.
sammyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 135104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
Very very nice fab on the tunnel. IMHO, I would have made the center section removable to access the shift cover...JMO.
I agree... The last Willys I built had a removable tunnel, as in, the whole thing came out. Its really nice if you ever need to work on anything. But... I really didn't see the need for it on this one. If the need ever arises I can always just cut the top off (leaving about a 1/2" all the way around) and then make a new top plate that just screws to the rest of the tunnel. I may do a roll in bedliner coating but no Line-X or Rhino so its not a big deal if I ever want to change that down the road.

Thanks for the complements though!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 135104
Today was spent doing little things... I got the boat side end covers installed. They basically will just help to keep mud out of them and also add just a fuzz of extra support to everything. I also got the headlight mounts done, CB antenna mount done, the computer is mounted, and the only other big things were getting the rear fairlead mount and tow points done, as well as getting the seat mounts modified and the seats put back in.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 109523
im so excited to see progress on betty!
YJ-GENRAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 135104
Well then Genral, you will be happy to see this... I HAVE A JEEP AGAIN!!!

I still need to make the filler piece for the hood/grille gap, but other than that all of the sheet metal is done. Basically, I need to patch some holes in the firewall once I pull the engine back out, then I need to start tearing it back down finishing some small things on the way, such as finish welding the engine and trans mounts. A couple more weeks and it should be driving again!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 96130
Looks damn good!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Bilstein Shock Absorbers [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Gray"]Rugged Race Radios[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Orange"]Gear Center Group
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR]
YJ_and_Corey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 05:04 AM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 135104
Thanks guys, glad you like it!

I have to admit... after getting the body done, I did get in it and shift gears, make engine noises, steer, etc haha

It felt So good to sit in a "Willys" again. I'd been missing my jeep, and getting it to this point is an extreme kick of motivation to get it done!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 83827
looks awesome man!!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 109523
im so happy!

im going to come down tonight and check it out in person
Old 09-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #138 (permalink)

Member # 135104
Well, today I spent a lot of time doing shop clean up, but I did make the filler piece for the hood/grille gap. Tomorrow morning I have to go run some errands and then I will come back and start tearing it down. I have to patch a few holes in the firewall and finish weld just a few other things. Then I can start prepping it for paint. Hopefully I can get that all done next week, and then I can start putting it back together.

Im gonna look for paint tomorrow as well. I need some OD green in a flat or semi-gloss color. I found it online from some farm supplier for pretty cheap at $32 shipped for a gallon, but there was another place that sells it for $87. The second place is a military restoration supplier, and after some research that seems like it is the real deal. However, Im not gonna pay that much for the paint that is just gonna get scratched up, so Im probably going to just go with the cheap stuff. However, I do want to look around locally at like a sporting/hunting store or Lowes and see if they have anything in stock. We also have an army store and they might have something...
Old 09-10-2010, 06:24 AM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 109523
checked it out in person. awesome! got to say that it is still willys enough for me like a badass killer willys on steriods that breaths fire! if only we had those on d-day there would have been no contest HA!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 135104
Well, I got it all tore apart today, and got the firewall patched up. I left a few of the holes just to be able to run the wiring and speedo cable through. I also finished welding up the engine and crossmember mounts on the frame. Tomorrow I am going to weld in the seatbelt brackets and then start sanding and prepping for paint. I am only going to need just a little body work, mainly where the skins meet the cowl. Other than that Im just gonna go with it. I am hoping to get all of it painted by the middle of next week, but we'll see what happens.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 65983
looks hawt tyler.... ill get my junk put back together and ready for a shakedown run
Old 09-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #142 (permalink)

Member # 153678
If you would answer your phone, I wouldn't have my junk on blocks and 1tons in my shop...

Looks good Tyler. If you still need a driver hp44 there's a 5lug 78 Bronco at the knox PAP $208.68

What about OHV enthusiasts? We pride ourselves on being drunk law breaking meadow destroying idiots that run over cute little bunnies.[/QUOTE]
I kinda like cute little bunnies....
gambit4000s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 135104
Well... Its not that I wont answer my phone, its that I can't. I don't have any signal at my shop, not enough to talk on the phone anyway. I still have your tube for your cage so when you are ready to do it just let me know. Do you know if that bronco had cast or welded c's???
Old 09-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 135104
Well, I got the chassis prepped for paint today. The hood and tailgate haven't been stripped yet, but maybe I can go get some aircraft remover and get that done in the morning. I need to paint everything black and then once my OD Green comes in I will tape everything off and paint the skins. I hope to have at least the entire chassis paint black tomorrow though, then I can work on the smaller stuff such as the hood, grille, tailgate, links, axles, etc.

Last edited by Team Willys; 09-11-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 19323
Looking great, keep it up, I finally got mine all back together and took it to Harlan last month, now I need to fix a couple more things. 2 customer jobs to do before I can get back to mine though
RCrocs Class 3 Team #304
Fullsizexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 04:32 AM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 153678
I believe they should be welded, I'll try and stop by there (edit: PAP) this week.

What about OHV enthusiasts? We pride ourselves on being drunk law breaking meadow destroying idiots that run over cute little bunnies.[/QUOTE]
I kinda like cute little bunnies....

Last edited by gambit4000s; 09-12-2010 at 04:33 AM.
gambit4000s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 04:57 AM   #147 (permalink)

Member # 134262
I may have missed it but what axles are thoes 10 bolts or 44s

and what did you half to do to put the 435 behind the 4.3 what case

looks supper good
samurai4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 135104
They are 44s, the rear is sleeved and trussed, the front is a cut down chevy, both have 4.88 gears, rear is spooled, the front is a lock right... I want/need to change it out to a detroit though, and its getting RCV shafts. In a way I hate to throw the money at the 44s because eventually im gonna swap in a D70U (already have it) and a HPD60 front. But I just dont have the funds to do it right now, and that's a little overkill for 38s IMHO. One day it will get an LS1,2, or 3 and a D300 or D20 and when that happens I will upgrade to the bigger axles and some 42s.

On another note, I did get the black paint all done today. Once the OD comes in I will paint the skins and the other small things that need to be green.

Had a buddy come give me a hand with the painting:

Hopefully the green will be here in a few days, if not there are other things I can do such as fix the T-case and paint the small things that need to be black.

Last edited by Team Willys; 09-12-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:04 AM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 134262
that looks really good

what trans is that a t90
samurai4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 135104
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai4u View Post
that looks really good

what trans is that a t90
HELL NO! haha. It is an NP435, pretty easy to adapt to a Chevy. You just need a special pilot bushing which you can get from Novak for cheap, run a Ford clutch disc, and then to get it to bolt up, you just have to drill another hole in the transmission case and elongate the 2 top holes just a bit. You also have to have the input bearing retainer turned down so the chevy throwout bearing will slip over it. It really isn't a big deal at all, no adapter is needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in