My new 1942 GPW! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Willys
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 27874
Send a message via AIM to Mrfreeze5
My new 1942 GPW! Restomod Build

Ok, so its a Ford, yes, but I think this is still a good spot for it. I just brought it home yesterday and this thing is a blast! Its a mixture of old and new parts, but is in surprisingly good shape for its age. Its a GPW frame thats been stripped and gone over and recoated. The frame is in great shape! The engine is from a MB, I have yet to run the number to see exact specs on it though. Its got a new T90 trans and a rebuilt ford script dana 18. The axles are rebuilt, the front has new knuckles and the truck has the upgraded later 11" drum brakes. Warn premium hubs up front. The rear is a full float dana 27 and is just cool as hell. Its sitting on newer rancho springs and con ferr shackles. Saginaw steering conversion is done and works well. Fiberglass tub and fenders, autometer gauges, not installed. It came with the original 3 piece windshield and a new repro M38 one piece windshield frame. I like the original better and have already ordered all the rubber and hardware I need to rebuild it. It needs a lot of little finish work here and there, but has lots of good parts on it and runs great. It was too good of a deal to pass up. Only $1000. The truck came with the original data plates with serial number, and the matching number I found on the frame. Im going to try and get it titled and registered soon. The history of the truck as I was told is that it was a army truck that ended up at Camp Hale in Leadville, Co and was bought by a family at a military auction and used as a ranch truck. It bounced around a ranch or farm for about 30 years until the guy I got it from bought it. He had it for 12 years and did most of the work on it, and did a pretty good job. Its never been titled or registered. I was looking for something I could really tear into, but this one is so nice and runs so well, I want to finish it as is instead of doing major powertrain and drivetrain changes. It has the original hood, grille, and dash. I can almost make out the hood numbers on the hood and am going to try and draw them out and repaint them. I like the white, so I think the whole truck will end up white when Im done. Every other military jeep I see is green, so Ill be different

Last edited by Mrfreeze5; 04-21-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Mrfreeze5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 27874

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Tinkerer

Member # 75774
Nice find!!!! you stole it for $ 1000! .....just 1 piece of advice- ditch those seats..........they suck! buy some nice seats with real padding.
oldtimingman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 27874
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimingman View Post
Nice find!!!! you stole it for $ 1000! .....just 1 piece of advice- ditch those seats..........they suck! buy some nice seats with real padding.
Agreed, the yellow is hideous. But with the covers on, theyre not uncomfortable. But I am going to wait on nice seats until after I put a top on it.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 153385
Wow, sweet find for $1k! I wish the underside of mine looked anything like yours, I swear I've got 3" of oil/gear lube/mud caked on mine...
Old 04-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 27874
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack12982 View Post
Wow, sweet find for $1k! I wish the underside of mine looked anything like yours, I swear I've got 3" of oil/gear lube/mud caked on mine...
Yes, its nice and purdy under there the receipts alone that came with the truck MORE than justified the cost. The only leak the truck has is between the hose and fitting that goes into the block from the oil filter, and its very minor. Ill have it fixed soon.

Im thinking some 32x9.50 TSLs on this baby, whadya think? Between the 2" rancho springs and the ~2" body lift it clears the 31x10.50s fine, although they rub the fiberglass on the inner fenders, which Im going to trim back, and also put some wheel spacers on. Im keeping the full float rear axle, just because its so cool. But I know its know up to much stress, but I dont plan on really wheeling this thing. Its more for sunny day joy rides really. And the whopping 60hp this engine puts out isnt a big threat.

Another neat tidbit I got with the truck:

Last edited by Mrfreeze5; 04-25-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 153385
Nice! I go back and forth about lifting mine a bit, but always end up back at keeping it original.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9310
You did a GREAT deal for $1000.
It seems that you will need to cut the glove box door.
Keep the pics coming !
Old 04-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 27874
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVARAS View Post
You did a GREAT deal for $1000.
It seems that you will need to cut the glove box door.
Keep the pics coming !
Nope, the glovebox door will remain unmolested. A real cage is in its future for sure. I need seatbelt mounts and something that will clear the dash a little better. Also, the original windshield cant sit back quite far enough with the bar there. The adjuster arm hits. I think the PO intended to use the repro M38 windshield instead of the eoriginal, but I like it better.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 27874
Tiny has been pretty much ignored over the winter, but lately he's getting attention, and parts are pouring in, albeit slowly. Pouring like honey But with the nice weather lately, more daylight after work, and some occasional free time and Ive started getting work done. Im giving away or selling off parts I dont need. The original windshield frame is scrap, the cage is being sold, the windshield M38 windshield frame needs to get sold, etc. I have on order and am waiting for delivery on my new complete original style split windshield frame. The glass is also on its way. I already have all the new weatherstripping for it. As soon as I get the windshield all together and installed in the next few weeks, then I will be getting a new Bestop Tigertop. Ive got a whole box in the basement right now that is full of new bits and pieces for this truck, and they will be going on soon.

I got the day off work today and suddenly had a few hours to kill so I got to work on it today, really for the first time since I brought it home. I had to knock out a few hornets nests. They love my Jeeps.

Installed the new battery box. The old one was only 3 sided! and the battery was shot.

I started installing the new exhaust kit today too. I got the new downpipe on no problem. I need to get some new hardware for the manifold connection, but thats just a trip to the hardware store. I cant for the life of me figure out where any of the exhaust hanger brackets go. I really need a pic of the completed exhaust system on a GPW or MB. I think the fact that I have a fiberglass tub could be causing some issues as well. I need to paint the muffler, since Im not going for a military resto. But the paint on it sucks big time and is flaking badly, so I think I may spring to have it blasted and then Ill repaint it with some VHT paint. But the bracket for it doesnt fit so well either. It doesnt quite match the shape properly and may become troublesome. Ive gotta figure out where the downpipe hangers go first before I worry about the muffler. Ive got a picture of that side installed.

And i installed my new K&N air filter. I didnt want to bother with the old oil bath filter, and was missing the crossover pipe, so this seemed the best way to go. I like it

Old 04-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 27874
Once the new windshield frame is on, and I have my tigertop I can start on building the roll cage. I want to to it in to the seats and frame since a fiberglass tub isnt going to offer any sort of stability for a basic roll bar. Luckily the PO made some beefy body mounts for this thing, so i think tying a cage into the frame ought to be easy enough.

I have encountered the problem that my left fender does not line up close enough to the hood for my comfort. The hood catches have a lot of pull to them and I am afraid it will crack the fiberglass. i will have to make backing plates for sure. The passenger side of the hood bends down a little and fits close enough to that fender. But the left fender I have to figure out some way to raise it up about 1/2"

I still need to trim up the inner fenders. The fiberglass comes down too far and out and rubs the tires. But I think the tires will rub regardless. I need wheel spacers. Im going to pick up a set soon. And I hope to pick up some 31x9.50 Swampers this summer.

Last edited by Mrfreeze5; 04-11-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 27874
Ah, adventures with Tiny the Wonder Jeep. Went out to simply start it and move it to clear out some space to find that my key no longer worked. Why? Who knows, but I had some free time.

Step one, figure out what kind of steering column was in the thing. It has a tilt steering setup installed with the saginaw box conversion. Turns out its a 84+ CJ7 tilt column. Great, so 3 trips to the autoparts store, and 2 new tools, a mysterious popped fuse, and a loose battery cable later and Ive finally got Tiny up and running again.

Then I pulled it out front, pulled the misfit M38 windshield off, and hosed off the crap that had accumulated over the fall/winter. After a few minutes of that, my neighbor came over with his kid to look at it. After a while I was convinced a trip around the block wasnt a terrible idea. I took it for a quick lap around the block, rode up a fair hill, and it did it all impressively. Its the most Ive driven it in the year Ive owned it. It wandered a little, and the gears stick a bit. I only got it up to second gear, but its more than peppy enough to cruise around the neighborhood in. I dont intend on driving this thing up the mountain to wheel. If I had found just a frame and body or something, yes, I would have done a V8 crawler, but I got too god of a deal and it was in too good of original shape to bastardize. And I really dig the old iron!

After that we proceeded to drink beer and whiskey. It was a good day.

Yesterday I finally got around to ordering my new repro GPW windshield frame. The original, split window style. My glass is supposedly on its way. I ordered it a month ago, but it hasnt arrived yet. Ive had all the weatherstripping sitting in a box for almost a year now, so as soon as it arrives, its going on. I should have a long weekend in about 2 weeks and plan to spend a fair amount of it with the Jeeps, so Tiny should be getting more attention here soon.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 9991
What a great deal for the price! The Willys Go Devil engine is what Ford used as per the governments directions. I would look for a metal body, but that's just me. Maybe just drive it, and enjoy it. I have the same seats in black, and hated them until I rolled mine. They kept me within the cage, and still have all my fingers and toes.
It does have great street appearance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MrWillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 202759
Location: land of 2 seasons: winter and getting ready for winter
yeah, you stole it!!
strvger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 27874
Yay! New parts!! My new windshield came!! Frame arrived today, glass yesterday, weatherstripping in the basement. I couldnt wait, I had to throw it on to see how it looked. Its a tad crooked right now, but it would stand on its own there for pics I dont have time to work on it this weekend really since I have so much to do(including clean up the yard!!), but I have a 3 day weekend next week that will be spent exclusively with the Jeeps if I have my say.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 123919
What's the deal with the brake and clutch pedal floor holes???
Old 04-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 27874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peow130 View Post
What's the deal with the brake and clutch pedal floor holes???
Previous owners misses. I got it that way. I plan on putting some sort of grommet or boots around them to clean it up a bit. Or possibly make some sort of plate to go around it with better looking holes. Ive got a large fullsize pickup truck diamond plate tool box in the yard that I got for free and have been saving to use the metal for similar type projects, as well as a dash cover for my 58 Willys Wagon. Ill probably use that to make a plate to match the other floor plate. The shifter cover is steel diamond plate, but I think Ill cut one out of aluminum as well. But considering thats not a functional issue, its fairly low on the to do list at the moment.

I also need to do some finessing of the brake pedal placement. I need to move it left somehow. My big feet hit the brake while trying to get to the accelerator.

Last edited by Mrfreeze5; 04-28-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 123919
Ahh i see.
Next: How are you going to hold on the windshield?

Just gonna find the brackets that were used on the steel body, and sandwich the fiberglass between the bracket and a big plate to spread out the load?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 27874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peow130 View Post
Ahh i see.
Next: How are you going to hold on the windshield?

Just gonna find the brackets that were used on the steel body, and sandwich the fiberglass between the bracket and a big plate to spread out the load?
You mean mount the windshield in its upright position? I have the latches that connect to the dash and the pivot brackets that go onto the side of the body. I will be putting a reinforcement plate inside the fender to support the brackets. The brackets and latches are currently still on the M38 windshield that came with the truck when I bought it. I put them on to check the placement and fitment and decided I didnt like it.

This weekend, I plan on installing the cowl weatherstripping and latches, Ill latch the frame in place to the dash and get the dash brackets adjusted. Then Ill mark my holes for the side brackets, mount em up, hopefully paint everything and get the whole shebang assembled with glass and all. We will see how much time I have though. And Im not really set up to do high quality paint, so I may just touch up some of the places where the primer got scratched and wait until Ive got a good space to work with and then get it all painted. but if I dont paint it, Im not going to put the glass in yet. We will just have to see how the weekend goes.

Last edited by Mrfreeze5; 05-01-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 27874
Well...mystery solved. I found the actual key that fit the GPW. Of course after I replaced the ignition switch thinking my key didnt work anymore. I honestly have no idea what the key I was using is for. It was on my Jeep key keyring. Dunno what else it could have fit. But it doesnt matter now. I like my new switch dammit. Its new, and black, and works well. I did a good job dammit. i did not waste hours replacing the damn thing for no reason. fml.

I drove Tiny again yesterday. This thing is fucking FUN to drive! I cant wait to get it legal and take more than a trip around the block.

Last edited by Mrfreeze5; 05-03-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 27874
Damn. Didnt have any time on my 3 day weekend to have Jeep time. Im very dissapointed. BUT! I did manage to make a nice $1000 on selling spare parts in storage today. So I went ahead and ordered a new Bestop Tigertop. 4WP had it on sale, plus I had a promo code, so the price was pretty reasonable. I should be able to pick it up this week. I cant imagine it will take long. Bestop's facility is 30 minutes away from 4WP's warehouse here in town, so I imagine I should be able to pick it up sooner rather than later I think I will wait until the top arrives to install the windshield, just to make sure everything is right and fits properly. So no work done, but definite progress made! And once I get the top on, I can have my cage made!! Things are moving along!
Old 05-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 9991
In the very first picture you posted it appears the front of the cage sits way above the windshield. Will the top fit, or are you planning on rebuilding the cage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MrWillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 27874
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
In the very first picture you posted it appears the front of the cage sits way above the windshield. Will the top fit, or are you planning on rebuilding the cage?
That cage was made to fit the green M38 windshield that came with the Jeep. As previously mentioned, I did not like the look of the 1 piece M38 frame and took it off. I sold that cage a few days ago for $100, now I just need to sell the M38 windshield frame and buy more stuff with the $$ I was waiting until I could put a full soft top on it before I had a new cage made that will fit better, not obstruct the glove box, and actually be structurally sound and tied into the seats and frame. My top has been ordered as of about an hour ago, so hopefully in a few weeks I can afford to have the new cage made. I am going to start getting some quotes from the local shops this week.

Last edited by Mrfreeze5; 05-06-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 27874
SWEET! My new Tigertop came today! Too bad its supposed to rain all weekend...
Old 05-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 98895
Send a message via AIM to dezrik Send a message via MSN to dezrik Send a message via Yahoo to dezrik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfreeze5 View Post
SWEET! My new Tigertop came today! Too bad its supposed to rain all weekend...
Looking forward to the pics with the top on. I Can't decide if I want to go with a tiger top or find a hard top for my 3a. Im leaning towards hard top only because of the subarctic weather here.
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in