State Parks and KOH - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Johnson Valley
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chubby Chaser

Member # 7889
Send a message via AIM to Mustard Dog
State Parks and KOH

I understand BLM out there jamming people for tickets for MARGINAL infractions, this is KOH after all their biggest cash cow since Thanksgiving at Glamis.

I want to know what State Parks jurisdiction is and why they were jamming people.
Hendrix XR Chassis #001

Ultra4 #66 4Wheel Parts, Raceline, PSC, Bilstein, Marlin Crawler, Smittybilt, HendriX, PacificFab, G2 Axle, PAC Spring, G&J, MAXXIS

Roxy's in the industry and I'm a sponsored professional driver. The two of us together make a powerhouse.

Accepting the things I cannot change.
Mustard Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 128380
I guess I don't fully understand your question here.

BLM and state parks are two different agencies. State parks is state land and BLM federal.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20739
Wild guess, BLM brought them in on contract so they had more bodies.
EarlKann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 14629
A guy complained to the traffic guy in my local newspaper once about getting a speeding ticket from a park ranger while driving on the highway but outside the park. The reporter said any peace officer can enforce any law, including traffic laws regardless of jurisdiction. A CHP officer can give you a ticket if you're on a surface street in a city, not just on the highway, so the same must apply to park rangers whether national or state.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 78387
We should get used to zero tolerance. They have been using that policy in the sand dunes for the last five years or so. Obay all the street laws, because they also apply in the dirt.
Even your cooler, if it has empties, can get you an open container ticket (although they have backed off on enforcement on that one due to people just tossing empties instead of hauling them back to camp.) If you have a lock on you cooler (even a small luggege lock) that can prevent that ticket. No glass containers outside of your RV.
No leaning or sitting on your rig with an open container when your keys are
in the ignition.
Helpmets on UTV riders as well as dirt bikes. Can't ride double on quads....
I think you get the picture.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 109953
anybody actually get a ticket out on the lakebed? i saw some people pulled over on boone rd, but never out wheeling.
ShmUDE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 99927
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShmUDE View Post
anybody actually get a ticket out on the lakebed? i saw some people pulled over on boone rd, but never out wheeling.
Yep, a guy in my company got a DUI from a Ranger on Thursday night after EMC.
kota4bye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Need an LS

Member # 23188
I was driving one of my club members rigs into Yucca to goto the store, and got pulled over by one of the six CHP cars I saw with a span of 2 miles. Apparently my buddy had a brake light out. I could not find his registration and insurance.....so the officer had me call him.

After explaining that coverage on the lakebed was spotty, I lucked out and he answered and told me where the documents were.

The cop let me go without a fix it ticket...

No idea on the state park leos, but the Leo preence was massive.

Last edited by Kurtuleas; 02-12-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9771
I know that the Marines were writing tickets out by Emerson Lake. They had park ranger on a KTM there to help. Once you were on base property you were guilty. There was zero tolerance for anyone on the base. It was an immediate ticket for $75.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 134321
the camp next to me. Race car comes off of the time trials and drives straight to the camp tent. He had his blue light blinking. The Ranger chewed him out wanted his license and registration, and gave him a ticket for impersonating a police officer.

really straight from the race track to his camp! Not out on Boone.
Ultra4 Racing #21-Holy Moly Racing
Sponsored by Rebel Off Road
OffRoadGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
A portion of CA fuel tax dollars go to State Parks to give out as OHV Grants.

BLM is a recipient of some of those grants since many of the OHV opportunities within CA are on BLM land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyhs View Post
I know that the Marines were writing tickets out by Emerson Lake. They had park ranger on a KTM there to help. Once you were on base property you were guilty. There was zero tolerance for anyone on the base. It was an immediate ticket for $75.
The Marines couldn't catch people, so they had the State Parks and BLM people over there on Emerson on bikes and UTV's trying to help catch people.

They had zero tolerance in the daylight...and a lot of people were zipping in and out provoking them.....so zero tolerance made sense to me. Sounded like they were forgiving if you crossed at night and it looked like you legitimately missed their signs in the dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadGeorge View Post
the camp next to me. Race car comes off of the time trials and drives straight to the camp tent. He had his blue light blinking. The Ranger chewed him out wanted his license and registration, and gave him a ticket for impersonating a police officer.

really straight from the race track to his camp! Not out on Boone.
That's fucking bullshit.

Is he going to fight it? Have him bring the KOH and BITD rulebooks to court?

Edit: On the other hand, maybe he should consider camping inside Hammertown next year. 95% of the other racers were within Hammertown, and wouldn't have ever exposed their blues to an ossifer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MT4Runner; 02-13-2013 at 03:36 PM.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 32975
We were stopped in Hammertown for the blue light flashing.

No ticket but were told we would get one if it happened again.
redcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcj7 View Post
We were stopped in Hammertown for the blue light flashing.

No ticket but were told we would get one if it happened again.

My suggestion? Call Dave. Confirm the the blue light/HK rules are included in his Ops plan. The BLM refers to his Ops plan. If you can cite chapter and verse, and you can tell them the blue light is in their approved Ops plan, they'll back down to the rule. As with your vehicle being non-licensed, it's only an option during race week...not the other 51 weeks.

"It is a safety measure to make sure you're not rear-ended by faster race vehicles overtaking you in the dust. You don't leave it on for trail riding. It is only used during recreational wheelin' and it is only powered on while pre-running during race week."

-
Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Let me first state that i work very closely with state parks and can elaborate on some of the topics. (if you catch my drift) I'm sure BLM asked state parks to be out there to show LEO presence in the area and to help enforce laws. Any state park peace officer (SPPO) has state wide powers just like CHP or DFG. They can pull you over for any law rule violation such as speeding, having a tail or brake lamp out.

As for the blue lights... You cannot have any other color other then white, amber (infront) or red,amber (in rear) visible while operating a vehicle unless in reverse (white) The impersonation of a peace officer can only be legitamet if you have both red and blue lights.

I don't know what section he cited you for but you may want to read these vehicle code sections.

cvc sections 25950-25952, 25250, 25269. And you may want to look closely at section 25258

And for the person who got cited for speeding, I would check the section you were cited for. cvc 22350 or 22349. And this is your lucky day tip. Not all (if any) SPPO's have radar, and chances are their vehicle's speedometer hasn't been calibrated within the past year. Wink, wink.

Glad to hear State Parks was out there to help. I know they help out sometimes on the Rubicon also.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 101680
Send a message via MSN to napsta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
My suggestion? Call Dave. Confirm the the blue light/HK rules are included in his Ops plan. The BLM refers to his Ops plan. If you can cite chapter and verse, and you can tell them the blue light is in their approved Ops plan, they'll back down to the rule. As with your vehicle being non-licensed, it's only an option during race week...not the other 51 weeks.

"It is a safety measure to make sure you're not rear-ended by faster race vehicles overtaking you in the dust. You don't leave it on for trail riding. It is only used during recreational wheelin' and it is only powered on while pre-running during race week."
A blue light is not required for any Ultra4 / KOH racing. It used to be required for racing BITD but it's not even required for that. Not sure why you would bother putting one on a new Ultra4 car these days, especially since they cost considerably more than a yellow one...
napsta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Cool Blue light specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih4ever View Post
As for the blue lights... You cannot have any other color other then white, amber (infront) or red,amber (in rear) visible while operating a vehicle unless in reverse (white) The impersonation of a peace officer can only be legitamet if you have both red and blue lights.

I don't know what section he cited you for but you may want to read these vehicle code sections.
So they would technically only be impersonating a LEO if they hit their brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by napsta View Post
A blue light is not required for any Ultra4 / KOH racing. It used to be required for racing BITD but it's not even required for that. Not sure why you would bother putting one on a new Ultra4 car these days, especially since they cost considerably more than a yellow one...
It's to be like the cool kids!
IIRC, it was only required in BITD for the "slower" classes. Not TT's and C1's.

What's another $100 on an $80k car?

Probably not a hill worth dying on. If its important, then all drivers/Dave should come to an agreement with BLM for race week. If it's not important, let it go and everyone remove their blue lamps.

-
Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 128287
Send a message via AIM to 1wd B-series
California state parks is going in the wrong direction. 2 years ago I got a no helmet ticket BACKING MY ATV OFF THE TRUCK at Hollister Hills. I never visited that park again.

Also went to pismo for the first time in August of 2011. I knew I needed a flag and didnt have one. Asked when I went in if i could ride from camp to where they sell the flags (i showed up late at night) ... said no problem. So im driving down the beach and sure enough get pulled over ... only thing that saved me is some dumbass did a wheelie going the other way so the ranger said go get that flag and went and pulled over that guy.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
You live in CO. You were spending your vacation dollars in CA.

Write a letter to them about the flag issue. Tell them it makes you reluctant to ever spend any of your money in CA. Copy the Governor's office.

As for the helmet issue---I agree with the principle of your argument. It's dumb to get that ticket.

As for not wearing a helmet? That's dumb in itself--I know of people who've been loading/unloading trailers and have the throttle stick, or blip the throttle. For your own safety's sake--wear the damn helmet.

-
Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 128287
Send a message via AIM to 1wd B-series
Im a CA native that moved to Colorado in May of 2012

And since theres no law here i dont wear a helmet anymore.

Last edited by 1wd B-series; 02-18-2013 at 09:20 AM.
1wd B-series is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wd B-series View Post
Im a CA native that moved to Colorado in May of 2012

And since theres no law here i dont wear a helmet anymore.

That's your decision. It is (or was, or should be) a free country.

I wear a helmet for my kids. Not for the law.

-
Old 02-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 144152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShmUDE View Post
I did, the actual tags on my plate were from 09 so they pulled me over. I had paid them days before i just didnt have the new tag on my plates yet. i kind of expected it though it is koh after all. showed them the paperwork, they ran my DL and let me go.
sandaddik2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 131215
Marines say, it is YOUR responsiblity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyhs View Post
When the stories started circulating in Johnson Valley community about people being busted for trespassing onto the Base, the G-5 Community Relations Officer was asked about it, and we were told, "It is your responsibility to know where the border is." Period, end of discussion.

We hope this attitude toward the new borderline won't persist, since they will be cutting off trails people have used for three generations and so far, maps published by the Marines are worse than useless for figuring out where no-man's-land will actually begin.

Heard they were considering a 70 mile barbed wire fence. Personally, I think I would rather run into the felony ticket than a wire fence. Particularly on a motorcycle following someone who sees the fence, does a sliding turn, raises a cloud of dust that hides the fence. Known that to happen.

The Base expansion planners (1) did not know there was anyone out here (2) do not care (3) don't have a clue what we do and why we are here (4) and do not care.

So it's your responsibility, folks.
ranchotaj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 197560
The finest phrase ever recorded on a rap album. RIP EASY-E

FUCK THE POLICE
namloot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 48084
Agreed wearing a helmet should be your choice, not a law. But what do you expect in Commiefornia?

They do the same BS tickets in Michigan. I know a group of 5 who all got tickets for no helmets........ An officer sat at a trailhead parking lot with his snowmobile hidden behind a trailer and watched all 5 of them come in from the trail, shut off their snowmobiles, take off their helmets and gear, and open up the trailers. Then after all 5 of them got back on their snowmobiles and rode them in the trailers with no helmets on, he went over and wrote all 5 of them tickets for "riding without a helmet." Total bullshit.
knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 1088
Wow.

Was thinking I wanted to go this year, but tore my junk apart. If this is what is going to go on, I can go in some off time, and drive to the lakebed at 2AM to avoid the street cops. I'm 100% legal, but this sounds out of hand, and I dont need stress on a vacation.

Hell just the out-of state plates, the tow rig probably looks like candy!

Thank you to our loyal customers!

Diamond Axle

Diamond axled buggies take 2 1st's, at Worlds WEROCK!!

Front Range Off-Road Fab with NEW forum!

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Brian Ellinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in