Wheeling on Feb 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Johnson Valley
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 122053
Wheeling on Feb 6

Well, some buddies from the 4500 club and I decided to go wheeling in Johnson Valley a few weeks ago. I called my friend Fosty to see if he was interested, and he was, so we headed out. We ran Short Bus, Aftershock, Highway 19/20, Fissure Mountain, Jack Hammer, Chocolate Thunder, Bender Alley, Wrecking Ball, Claw Hammer, Upper and Lower Big Johnson, Boulderdash, Martel, and Elvis then came back to camp before dinner. We also made a quick run across the desert to a remote Auto Zone to pick up some oil Andrew wanted us to bring back.

Here’s my trip report:

After camping, drinking, and wrenching for a couple of days with some close friends and our LetzRoll Offroad family, we decided to go hit up a run our club was doing. We got up and headed out around breakfast. There were about 40 in our group so we wanted to start early in case of traffic. That’s a pretty good size group to go wheeling with. We were more than a little surprised at all the other clubs out that day. We thought there wouldn’t be as much traffic on a Thursday. The 4600 club was having a meet and greet that morning, but were going wheeling a little after us and there were some old guys who called themselves “The Legends” who were out there too. There were some very cool rigs in that club. You could tell they had been doing this for a while. What really had us confused were the “Lakebed Lemmings” club. It was almost like they had gotten a Groupon for their buggy parts. They all pretty much had the same car, but they were badass builds and were friendly enough. We saw them again (off and on) through most of the day. Really cool to meet those cats.

This is Frosty. He’s a cool guy.

We screwed around on Short Bus (where my buddy Shawn flopped it… he waved and said he was good, so we kept going), and then we tooled around in the desert. There were lots of bumps in a row, so we pretended we were riding a pony.

Us pretending we’re cowboys in the whoops… it’s hard to take a “selfie” while driving, but Redlyner said all the cool kids were doing it (of course, he also said fat guys looked good in skinny jeans and I should get a pair… so I’m not too sure about him.)

While we were out there, my buddy Andrew asked us to stop at a remote Auto Zone and pick up some oil. Frosty and I wanted to keep moving, but Andrew felt very strongly about getting oil while on sale, so we went ahead and stopped. We ran into Army Mike and Army Tim while we were there, so that was cool. Now, not to be paranoid, but it was a little creepy that a black helicopter kept following us around. Frosty and I tried to out run him and we eventually lost him. Whew. By this time, Andrew really wanted his oil, so we went back by camp for a snack and to check a couple of things on the buggy. All in all it only took us about an 2 hours to run out there and back, so it wasn’t too bad. We did play around on the rocks by the sand hill and helped pull one of the Lakebed Lemmings off a rock where they were stuck on the way back, though. Gotta have a little fun, right!

After snacks and gas at camp, we decided to go do some real rock crawling, so we headed over and ran Aftershock and Highway 19/20. We ran into a lot of our group on Aftershock and Ryan hopped out to help winch some friends so we could get through. Some of the guys went around the canyon rim and skipped the climbing part, but it was cool. That line was really tippy. We had broken our sway bar when running from the helicopter, so Frosty thought it would be best if we stayed in the rocks and not the crazy off camber canyon wall. It took a little longer, but more than likely kept us from rolling over. 19/20 was fun and didn’t take long. There are some good lines in there to get around folks.

After those two trails, Frosty had to piss, so we stopped and saw some other friends. Andrew had called them and asked us to pick up some more oil, so we grabbed another quart while there. Fissure Mountain was right there, so we decided to run up that really quick. The views were pretty spectacular. I got some good pics while we were up there. As we were going down Jack Hammer (which was the quickest way to Chocolate Thunder, which we wanted to run) we ran into a little traffic jam. One guy was wedge in between a rock and a hard place, while one of the Lakebed Lemmings (guy named Shannon?) was high centered on a rock. His buddy was trying to get him to crawl off of it, but I think his throttle cable was stuck because he was NOT trying to “crawl” anything. LOL. Frosty and I took a third line, but ended up getting high centered as well. Fortunately, one of the guys form the Legends clubs was coming down the trail and gave us a love tap. It broke my rear body panel, but got us off the rock. Part of what I love about this sport is how everyone is always willing to help each other, even if it means ramming the back of your car and risking a scratch to their front bumper. Nice guys.

When we pulled up to Chocolate Thunder, we were a little worried. There were, like, 800 frickin’ cars and a couple thousand people there. We though it might be a parking lot, but turned out to be OK. Evidently, they were just there drinking, helping drivers with wheeling advice, and not wheeling until later that night. Except for when I accidentally backed over Cody’s stock Toyota when I was having some trouble (Frosty had bet me a six-pack of Bud Light that I couldn’t run it in 4hi), things went really smooth. Fortunately, some of the wheeling advice people were very helpful. They suggested (amongst other things) that I “hit it with my purse” and “grow a pair”… two things that I had not considered yet. Well, neither of those worked (and I’m not quite sure how the suggestion to “go have sex with myself” was going to help much), so I put it in 4lo and hoped Frosty would share the beer I had to pay him.

After Chocolate Thunder, the rest of the guys from the club did Wrecking Ball, but Frosty and I were having such a good time that we decided to run Bender Alley as a bonus trail first. Bender wasn’t on the original list, but we didn’t figure anyone would mind. After running up it, we thought it would be fun to run it backwards, so we turned around and went back down. Pretty fun trail, but we had lost our group, so we hustled up Wrecking Ball and caught back up with everyone. Evidently not everyone follows the “keep the guy behind you in your rear view mirror” rule. It’s all good, though. A lot of guys were hanging out in Wrecking Ball, but they said they were OK and let us around so we could keep wheeling.

Wrecking Ball went so well that we decided to blow through Claw Hammer, Upper and Lower Big Johnson, and Boulderdash to make sure everything was OK on the buggy. Pretty much like wheeling Table Mesa back home. Our buddies that were hanging out at the base of Fissure Mountain had moved on down the wash, so we stopped for a sec and shot the shit and I had a smoke. Matt (who was out wheeling with the 4600 club) stopped by too, so Frosty and I got back on the trail so he could visit with the guys too. We headed out to Martel, and then scooted over to run up Elvis. It was pretty fun (and we had heard there was a rock throwing gnome there, but we didn’t see him), but it was getting close to dinnertime, so we decided to head back to camp.

On the way back to camp, we horsed around on the sand hill for a minute, but I was getting hungry, so we drove pretty fast on the way back and didn’t talk much. I think Frosty was getting tired… poor little guys falls asleep in the Jeep sometimes on long trips. We got home around 4:30. A couple of other guys from the club had gotten there first and had gotten the fire started for us. We all had a beer with our friends and laughed about what a great day it had been. Evidently there was a Groupon sale on yellow beanies too, because there were a lot of them there. They hugged us and we all laughed about the day and told stories about the trails. Frosty got on top of the car and was clowning with his King hat on. It was pretty Epic. Matt got home a little after we did, so we cheered him on and had another beer in his honor. More yellow beanies were passed around. We ended up having a party with all the guys from the club that night. Our brothers Andrew and Tim thought our day sounded like fun, so they hooked up with some of their buddies and when wheeling on Friday. They did pretty good too and ran a few more trails than we did. I think they also had fun.

So yeah, I would recommend Johnson Valley for a day trip. Short Bus, Aftershock, Highway 19/20, Fissure Mountain, Jack Hammer, Chocolate Thunder, Bender Alley (not on the original trip list), Wrecking Ball, Claw Hammer, Upper Big Johnson, Lower Big Johnson, Boulderdash, Martel, and Elvis (plus screwed around in the desert for awhile) without breaking anything. No flats, no axle shafts, or major components… pretty good day of wheelin’ in my book. We left camp after breakfast and were home before dinner, so you can do this trip in a day. Pack water and some snacks and have a good radio. Reception can be difficult at times due to the mountains. Of course, that may not be such a bad thing when your buddy Miller is trying to tell you where the line is on Chocolate Thunder or your brother Andrew is trying to share how badly he wants you to pick up some oil that’s on sale…

I’ll post up video in a couple more days. Stay tuned.
#4511 LetzRoll Offroad Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

Back to Back Dirt Riot Endurance Racing 4500 class National Champion 2012 & 2013 // AZ Undertaker

Last edited by alanzona; 02-26-2014 at 11:52 AM.
alanzona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 50177
Sounds like a good day on the trail, you should make it an annual trip, the first week of feb every year.

Only thing I don't get is why was everyone wearing big onesies? is that your club uniform?

my buggy build

am4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 122053
Quote:
Originally Posted by am4x4 View Post
Sounds like a good day on the trail, you should make it an annual trip, the first week of feb every year.

Only thing I don't get is why was everyone wearing big onesies? is that your club uniform?
That sounds like a great idea! I'll bring it up at the next club meeting... and yes, we love our onesies. Keeps us warm and we can identify each other better.
#4511 LetzRoll Offroad Racing

/
/

Back to Back Dirt Riot Endurance Racing 4500 class National Champion 2012 & 2013 // AZ Undertaker
alanzona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 294
Great trip report!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in