First time to Johnson valley looking for other Jeep to trail ride with - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Johnson Valley
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 800785
First time to Johnson valley looking for other Jeep to trail ride with

This will be my first year going to Johnson valley for KoH. Coming from Washington and Iím looking to meet up with people who can show us some trails to enjoy the experience. Pretty stoked to be there! Thanks
Mikeandchrisxj97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
What are the specs on your rig? That will determine what trails you can run. Running trails during KOH week can be tough compared to off weekends since its crowded and there are races during the day so that leaves you to a lot of night wheeling or running trails that may not be a part of the course. If you can swing it stay the weekend after or get there the weekend before. Everything will be open.

We always stay the weekend after and will usually leave Sunday morning or afternoon so we can wheel Saturday when it starts to thin out quickly.

You will love hammers! Iíve enjoyed being a little over 2 hours from there.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 800785
Yeah I assumed it would be packed and couldnít get to too many spots but I have a basically stock 97XJ with a 5.5 inch lift Iím on 31ís but it will go lol Iím locked front and rear winch on the front LED light bar and as for night wheeling I am all good with that thatís what I do a lot of here in Washington

Old 01-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 89000
To be honest with you, with 31 inch tires, there are not a lot of trails you can do. Especially around KOH. The trails get dug up bad, with everyone running 40’s.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 800785
Ok ok sounds good I figured there be some pretty nasty rutted holes out there but Iím just taking this jeep with me this time to tear it up I got a better one Iím building for next year so I guess Iíll just take this out there and take my chances lol
Old 01-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeandchrisxj97 View Post
Yeah I assumed it would be packed and couldnít get to too many spots but I have a basically stock 97XJ with a 5.5 inch lift Iím on 31ís but it will go lol Iím locked front and rear winch on the front LED light bar and as for night wheeling I am all good with that thatís what I do a lot of here in Washington
Likely you are stuck just driving around on dirt roads or playing in the sand. If you have a D35 in the rear, folks are gonna avoid you like the plague, lol! There are several trails that a locked XJ with upgraded axles can enjoy on 33s or 35s, but I wouldn't take an XJ on 31s with stock axles on any of them. And to make matters worse, just about all the trails (especially the easy ones) are really dug out during KOH week.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cruiser Driver

Member # 190268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeandchrisxj97 View Post
Ok ok sounds good I figured there be some pretty nasty rutted holes out there but Iím just taking this jeep with me this time to tear it up I got a better one Iím building for next year so I guess Iíll just take this out there and take my chances lol
Bring it down, there are lots of areas to play in. Are you towing the Jeep down or driving it? Tearing it up will have whole new meaning with the rocks in JV. Most of the area around KOH will have people playing around, you should be able find someone to run with and do unmarked trails to play on. Get the Hammer Trails on Google Earth so you can find your way around.
JB
JB Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 800785
Ya Iím still taking it down there anyway Iím actually towing it down there so I am not to worried about beating the shit out of it lol got lots of extra parts to use up hahahah
Old 01-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 129208
About 20 min west is Cougar Buttes...basically a rock outcropping that can be as mild or wild as you want it to be. There was/is a couple trails staked out if you choose or just do your own thing.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 129208
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_1 View Post
About 20 min west is Cougar Buttes...basically a rock outcropping that can be as mild or wild as you want it to be. There was/is a couple trails staked out if you choose or just do your own thing.
I know this is late but so much for this idea. I didn't know Cougar Buttes was part of the race at the time of my post.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_1 View Post
I know this is late but so much for this idea. I didn't know Cougar Buttes was part of the race at the time of my post.
Nobody did.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in