KOH trail riding - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Johnson Valley
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 25448
KOH trail riding

My wife and I are in the area but we flew here. Went to KOH yesterday and it was cool to watch the qualifying. I would like to get her out on some nearby trails to see some crawling. Even if we drive up to the obstacles (rental 2wd ram) and hike them while guys run the rocks. Any way to set something like this up with some of the guys camping down there? We are in Indio, 50 miles away. Able to head back to KOH on Friday and Saturday.

Not looking for any handouts or even a seat. Just to watch some technical stuff and crawling and prefer not to drive out just pick a trail and hope to see something cool. I can PM my phone number or whatever works best.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 75858
You are too late. Tomorrow and Friday are pretty much dedicated racing. those not racing are either working on pit crews or spectating.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
A SHIT TON of people left early this year because they closed almost all of the trails during the day to recreational wheelers during the whole week. Why would someone stay the whole week to run 3-4 trails that are packed with people because they are the only trails open?

A big group of my friends in Jeeps/Toys left on Sunday night and went to Cougar Buttes, because the only thing open for them to run during the day was Turkey claw. Another group of friends packed up their buggies and headed to Sand Hollow, because only being able to run SOS, Off Your Rocker, and Full of Love for a whole week gets boring.

I hope this isn't the new norm, or I will never go back.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25632
There is no way they closed all the trails. Despite the fact that everyone thinks that back door, chocolate thunder, Jack and sledge hammer are the only trails, there are 40+ trails put there.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
There is no way they closed all the trails. Despite the fact that everyone thinks that back door, chocolate thunder, Jack and sledge hammer are the only trails, there are 40+ trails put there.

Are you there, or just assuming?????

I have been there since last week and went home yesterday. I have been coming to JV since 1998 in dirt bikes, Jeeps, and buggies.

All of the Hartwell Hills area trails are closed during the day (even on the back side) for racing and pre-running. So that is about 75% of the available trails. Also, Backdoor, Resolution, and most of the trails in that area are closed. They have gates and staff at trail openings during the day directing traffic away. Two of the event volunteers told me that the race course is hitting all of the major rock trails this year and they want people out of there while race rigs are running full speed, even during pre-running (a safety issue I guess).

Unlike year's past, Dave actually secured the whole area to himself this year, so it is not a public place during KOH week anymore. I don't know if it was Dave's idea or a condition of his BLM permit, but the closures are real.

Without driving to BFE, the only trail for the mild rigs to play on was Turkey Claw. The only good buggy trails open were FOL, SOS (but was closed during King of Motos), Off Your Rocker, and Deadblow if you can find it. Not really enough for a week of fun when you are used to running 5-6 trails a day. Lots of people left after the Shootout.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dogg View Post
Are you there, or just assuming?????

I have been there since last week and went home yesterday. I have been coming to JV since 1998 in dirt bikes, Jeeps, and buggies.

All of the Hartwell Hills area trails are closed during the day (even on the back side) for racing and pre-running. So that is about 75% of the available trails. Also, Backdoor, Resolution, and most of the trails in that area are closed. They have gates and staff at trail openings during the day directing traffic away. Two of the event volunteers told me that the race course is hitting all of the major rock trails this year and they want people out of there while race rigs are running full speed, even during pre-running (a safety issue I guess).

Unlike year's past, Dave actually secured the whole area to himself this year, so it is not a public place during KOH week anymore. I don't know if it was Dave's idea or a condition of his BLM permit, but the closures are real.

Without driving to BFE, the only trail for the mild rigs to play on was Turkey Claw. The only good buggy trails open were FOL, SOS (but was closed during King of Motos), Off Your Rocker, and Deadblow if you can find it. Not really enough for a week of fun when you are used to running 5-6 trails a day. Lots of people left after the Shootout.
I just got home, I didn't have my rig there, so I never actually wheeled during the day. I was on wrecking ball, Jack and sledge Monday night though.

What you are saying is pretty interesting. Next time I go down I will have my rig, and this info would be good to know because I'm not going that whole way to do chocolate thunder 100 times like most people.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 75858
Well that really sucks. Every time I've been there we were able to pretty much wheel anywhere Saturday thru Tuesday. We ran Sledge, Jack, Spooners, Outer Limits, wrecking Ball and many others. We also ran with the race crews we were pitting for while they pre-ran. I was scheduled to come out but had to bail so now maybe I'm glad I did. No way I am driving 40 hours to just spectate and pit.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16125
You could volunteer for recovery, which gives you access (but you have to work) and then run all the trails you want from Saturday after KOH on.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25448
Well thanks for the responses! I'll be out there tomorrow again too catch some racing
Old 02-11-2018, 11:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 231443
You are able to run them at night during koh
Old 02-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfowlkes View Post
You are able to run them at night during koh
I start drinking as soon as the sun goes down, so stay in camp. Also, nothing good EVER happens on the trails at night, lol.

I am not one of those people who are happy sitting behind 30 broke Toyotas on Turkey Claw every day, or running Choco Thunder over and over again with a bunch of mall crawlers all night.

This is the first year that the trails were closed during the day, so my group left on Tuesday morning instead of staying all week. Usually, the trails are only closed on Thursday and Friday for the races; but that has now changed. It only takes an hour to see everything in Hammer Town, so being stuck in camp all day for a week sucks balls. If this is the future of KOH, I will not go back. I go there to wheel first, the event is just an added bonus. And with the TV/video coverage so good now, and the spectating at the event so bad; it makes more sense to watch KOH from the comfort of my living room.

I feel sorry for the guys that towed their buggies across the country to come to KOH with the expectation of wheeling all the trials during their visit.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 231443
Quote:
I start drinking as soon as the sun goes down, so stay in camp. Also, nothing good EVER happens on the trails at night, lol.

I am not one of those people who are happy sitting behind 30 broke Toyotas on Turkey Claw every day, or running Choco Thunder over and over again with a bunch of mall crawlers all night.

This is the first year that the trails were closed during the day, so my group left on Tuesday morning instead of staying all week. Usually, the trails are only closed on Thursday and Friday for the races; but that has now changed. It only takes an hour to see everything in Hammer Town, so being stuck in camp all day for a week sucks balls. If this is the future of KOH, I will not go back. I go there to wheel first, the event is just an added bonus. And with the TV/video coverage so good now, and the spectating at the event so bad; it makes more sense to watch KOH from the comfort of my living room.

I feel sorry for the guys that towed their buggies across the country to come to KOH with the expectation of wheeling all the trials during their visit.
That makes sense. Was my first time there so I enjoyed it and crossed it off the bucket list. It cost me 1000$ in fuel to get there . Next year my big trip will be ejs
Old 02-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 75858
Quote:

This is what I am trying to understand. We usually arrive Saturday afternoon of race week and get out for a few hours. (maybe run CT or Sledge) Then we wheel all day Sunday thru Wednesday either as a small group or pre-running with the race teams we support. So we get a solid 3 + days of wheeling. Then pit for the guys Thursday, watch the race on Friday and head home. With this format, we have been able to wheel most of JV without incident.

Now you are telling me that we can't wheel Sunday - Wednesday? I get the Wednesday thing since the UTV's are now running the entire race course. I'd be OK with that since Wednesday in Hammertown is pretty cool. But if we can't run all the trails (in the daylight) I'd be upset.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 25448
Quote:

I told all my friends that it was cool to see Hammertown, cool to see all the buggies and race cars up close. Awesome experience. Enjoyed watching a couple hours of live qualifying and racing. But then I went back to the air conditioned house and watched more of the race on the computer where you get to see all the action without a big wait in between.

If I go back it I would maybe try to catch the race and then stay the following week so I could go actual wheeling. Obviously I didn't bring a truck this time so it made no difference. Still would have been cool to watch some non-competing guys running the trails nearby.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 12598
This was my first time out there also. I only got to run a couple laps on chocolate thunder and up jack and down sledgehammer at night. If we would have know where more of the trails we're we would have run them. We did volunteer to work the utv race and our check was way out at rm98. It was a blast out there. If it wasn't a 3 day trip to get there and I had more vacation I would come out and volunteer on race week and come back and wheel on another week.

88 sammy with yotas and low low gears
blt2rok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
We ran sledehammer on Tuesday mid day and noone stopped us or anything like that. A jeep and a chevy were broke and sorta blocking the trail when Jessi came down prerunning in her 4400 car. Was kind of surpised there wasn't more people in there but we made through unscathed other than winching the plaque line.

Wedensday we ran up jackhammer and down jack north. Hit the trail about 5 after the utv race was over and had the whole trail to ourselves. Got back to camp bout 10:30. It was epic.

I talked to Jessi and said nice to meet you and she said nice to meet you too now get these fuckers outta my way! She was cool about it tho.

So I guess maybe the trails were closed but we did not know that..
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2018, 09:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgiemoto View Post
So I guess maybe the trails were closed but we did not know that..
You likely drove through when the event staff were not manning their posts, lol. We tried to slip in at a couple places on Sunday and Monday, but got busted; even at the entrance to sledge.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Quote:
You likely drove through when the event staff were not manning their posts, lol. We tried to slip in at a couple places on Sunday and Monday, but got busted; even at the entrance to sledge.
Well, if that's the case we will not be back next year. Best place to watch the race is in your living room anyway.. I'm over the crowds on CT and BD and I scratched some things off my bucket list being able to do jack and sledge. If I ever go back (which is an 11 hour drive) it will be on an off weekend.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 104850
wtf, I had no problems running trails up until Tuesday, ran sledge, wrecking ball, and outer limits. No one stopped us.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKJEEP View Post
wtf, I had no problems running trails up until Tuesday, ran sledge, wrecking ball, and outer limits. No one stopped us.
You likely ran late evening or night then. All of those trails were closed, and manned by event staff during the day on Sunday and Monday. I have gopro video of myself pulling up to those trailheads. I bugged out on Tuesday morning when a course marshal told us that the daytime closures would continue through Friday.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 104850
At the bottom of sledge there were 2 guys with vests sitting in a rzr, we drove right past them. There were several other groups on the trail with us. We even passed some KOH volunteers giving tours.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 51324
Was there an official announcement? I didn't get around as much early in the week as I would have liked but didn't see anyone patrolling. If they're closed all race week moving forward I will be shifting my normal week long attendance. That's ridiculous. I guess we won't find out until next year...

EDIT: I'd assume if the volunteers were told to keep people off he course some of them did not have the balls to say something.

Last edited by Stooges4x4; 02-14-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Stooges4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 92825
I ran just about every trail out there on days there wasn't a race with no issues. I just went the same direction the race went.
juicywhip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Maybe someone who has first hand knowledge of this like an actual track crew member or part of Daves organization can verify this and if this is going to be the case next year??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in