Dead Blow Trail - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Johnson Valley
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Dead Blow Trail

Only a handful of buggies have done this trail since it was cut a couple years ago, so I thought I would make a vid of our run last Monday.

Enjoy!
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16829
That looks like one bad ass fun trail!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
doesn't mean I can't be a douche bag
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
10-4, thanks for the Cliff's notes... I don't think I ever read the "bounty thread" so I was/am clueless on this. Sounds to me like camo is a HGTD douchebag though.
offroad_joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2019, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
perfection in plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
def looks like a good time. makes me think....... i need a updated printed map of the hammers for that non KOH time of year

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 48772
Got a map as to where this is?
Old 03-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 225201
Does that go R halfway down Spooners?
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJCracker View Post
Got a map as to where this is?
Its before you get to the trailhead for Sunbonnet.

Scott Cunningham posted these numbers;

A crude map location;

As you enter Deadblow, there is a canyon to the left with a wicked gatekeeper obstacle; that is "Ball Peen". Probably gonna need rear steer on that one.

Make sure you start early and have a couple rigs with you as back-up. It is a surprisingly long trail because there is no breaks in the action and lots of challenges. There is a couple of pucker spots, but most of the trail is in a deep canyon with no bypasses. The trail hasn't "settled in" yet, so everything moves and sometimes engine noise causes small rock slides. The rocks on this trail are massive and spaced close together, so expect a lot of belly dragging. There is a dirt hill after the waterfall that has been chewed up pretty bad and currently takes horsepower and balls to climb (not in Video). Basically, when you get to the big waterfall, you are about 2/3 through the trail. The trail ends on the part of Fissure Mt trail that is just above the dunes. Rear Steer is a huge help on this trail, and you will be pulling lots of winchline without it. Our group broke 3 lines on our run. If I knew better, I would have taken an extra long strap to wrap around bounders as a winch anchor; our 30' straps were not cutting it.

I'm sure this trail will get easier as more people start running it (stacking, winching rocks out of the way, making bypasses), So enjoy it at it's worst. Take lots of pics and vid!!!!!

Last edited by desert dogg; 03-27-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2243
Outstanding camera work, I can't stand it when the cameraman is shaking or moving the frame all around, I liked the editing too, it actually felt like I only spent 2min watching this 13min teaser, when's the unedited director cut going to debut?

BTW, the driving was pretty good too lol, didn't see a single throttle jockey.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V View Post
Outstanding camera work, I can't stand it when the cameraman is shaking or moving the frame all around, I liked the editing too, it actually felt like I only spent 2min watching this 13min teaser, when's the unedited director cut going to debut?

BTW, the driving was pretty good too lol, didn't see a single throttle jockey.
My wife does most of the camera work in my vids (when she isn't driving). The Canon STM lenses make fantastic offroad video because of the quiet stepper motor and great image stabilization (and they are cheap too). I do the editing, in a manner that keeps the action flowing with multiple rigs and scenery changes. Thanks for the compliments.

We didn't get the hill after the waterfall on video; but there was LOTS of full throttle bouncing to get up that part of the trail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in