Crazy Ruth Trail?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Johnson Valley
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
HOG JOCKEY

Member # 54114
Crazy Ruth Trail??

A group of us were at Soggy last weekend. We were scheduled to run Riffel Canyon Saturday, so this being Friday, headed up Crow Bar trail and came across a trail off to the left with a metal sign named "Crazy Ruth". We ofcourse had to check it out. It wasn't long until we figured out where the trail got it's name. It started getting quite challenging pretty much from the beginning, which is what most of us look for. Then we rounded a turn and the trail took on a real obstacle. A series of off camber slick stair steps leading to a difficult 30 foot elevated landing pad that required a hard left to even start climbing. Once you are up on the landing pad, you almost have to do a hard right U turn that must be done while winching to the right. Reason for the winching is that the buggies are larger than the platform you are on. The winch line keeps your buggy pulled over tight against the wall so your front driver can get across the air gap due to the fact that you are traversing air for several feet until your front driver again touches down and you can again start driving. The only reason that we did attempt this whole process was that we walked it before actually trying this seemingly impossible obstacle. On the other side of the what I call a U turn area, we saw some tire tracks in the sand. From there we walked the rest of the way to assure ourselves that indeed we could get out and through. It appeared to be quite challenging, but not undoable. Long story short. Three of u did do the trail and although it took some thought and time it was quite memorable. Our question was who was it that originally broke this trail?? It has not been done by very many cars, that is evident. But they did hang a sign and it evident they did it the only way it could be done...Ö.uphill!! We give great big Kudos to whoever the first ones were to conquer this chunk of real estate. I didn't personally take any pics, but some of the others may have.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 38318
I took a few pix, Mickey. This is Ed Webster driving/winching said obstacle.

While your group was having fun on Riffle Saturday, 3 from our group did Crazy Ruth again.

I also wonder who broke this trail? Someone named "Ruth" I hope.

Last edited by robert-r; 05-10-2019 at 09:45 AM.
robert-r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
HOG JOCKEY

Member # 54114
Thanks Bob. Hard to capture the intensity of the terrain with a camera, but you did a pretty good job! Crazy Ruth is truly a no joke, fun trail. As always, I enjoyed wheeling with you San Diego 4Wheelers again. Mickey

Old 05-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 48772
Bad ass....thanks for posting up.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Shit, I was out there all weekend! Never saw that trail before. Is the entrance in Crowbar, or after you exit crowbar?
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 38318
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dogg View Post
Shit, I was out there all weekend! Never saw that trail before. Is the entrance in Crowbar, or after you exit crowbar?
The entrance is in Crowbar. On the left not far after Ballerina - maybe the first or second canyon. Has a sign even.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 13787
Send a message via AIM to zcarczar
That was our group, they named the trail after one of our buddy's crazy ex-wife haha. If I recall correctly they were in a couple buggyish vehicles. I'll see if I can get one of them to post up about the trail.
zcarczar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
HOG JOCKEY

Member # 54114
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcarczar View Post
That was our group, they named the trail after one of our buddy's crazy ex-wife haha. If I recall correctly they were in a couple buggyish vehicles. I'll see if I can get one of them to post up about the trail.
That would be great! Love hearing about trailbreaking.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 13787
Send a message via AIM to zcarczar
This is from my buddy Chris - Broncojnke - He was part of the group that broke it back in 2016. He sent me some pictures, give me a few and I'll get them posted up as well.

These are all pictures from the first time we went up. I was the only one to drive hard spot with out winching. The story goes we turned up this canyon a few years before we broke it by mistake. And I had been wanting to hike it ever sense that day. We had a small group that day and Tom and I hiked it to make sure there was a way out. Naming was harder then any of us thought. Some at camp that night asked about Crazy Ruth and we all just looked at each other and said thatís the name!
zcarczar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
HOG JOCKEY

Member # 54114
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcarczar View Post
This is from my buddy Chris - Broncojnke - He was part of the group that broke it back in 2016. He sent me some pictures, give me a few and I'll get them posted up as well.

These are all pictures from the first time we went up. I was the only one to drive hard spot with out winching. The story goes we turned up this canyon a few years before we broke it by mistake. And I had been wanting to hike it ever sense that day. We had a small group that day and Tom and I hiked it to make sure there was a way out. Naming was harder then any of us thought. Some at camp that night asked about Crazy Ruth and we all just looked at each other and said thatís the name!
Thanks for the write up and pics. Good job!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in