History of the Hammers and Other JV Trails - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Johnson Valley
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 145699
‘Eezee’ lets hear more about the Victor Valley trails from you and maybe you could send Chuck over this way as well.

And… Now everyone wants to know the date that Jason Berger took this infamous ‘dump’ on FOH.

And… Where’s EZ? Did he really break SOS?

And… Short Bus = Front Door??? I need dates…

And… Is "Martel" really a trail or an obstacle?

And the big question… Who was the first one up Back Door???
Old 12-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 16270
Send a message via AIM to b2dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Young View Post
Here is a picture of Turkey Claw trail, Thanksgiving 2007. Billy is on the left driving the crew cab, he broke a rear CV shaft. I am the bald guy in the middle of the picture, Tina Long is in the red hat, Larry Gipson is next to her, Odie is in the Toyota truggy, and Bobby Long is next to him. There were some vehicles that went half way up the canyon, but Odie and Bobby were the first ones to go all the way up that day.
billy drove the trail on turkey day (hence the name) and we invited the washington crew to come with that night over turkey dinner. the next day they followed us out there, billy drove up the trail and broke a cv up where it flattens out, gorman (blue formula toy) had steering issues blocking the trail near the beginning, while waiting for the trail to clear the washington crew walked up the trail with bars moving big ass rocks so bobby wouldn't scratch his new rig and complained that we weren't helping the washing crew did end up going further that day, and wanted to name it chicken wing.

i'm glad to see that the name turkey claw stuck, billy tried it in 05 on his rigs maiden voyage and broke a stock hummer cv at the very bottom.

here's a pic of our group at the bottom of the trail 11-22-07
Attached Images

b2dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 52911
Send a message via AIM to samota87
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2dude View Post
billy drove the trail on turkey day (hence the name) and we invited the washington crew to come with that night over turkey dinner. the next day they followed us out there, billy drove up the trail and broke a cv up where it flattens out, gorman (blue formula toy) had steering issues blocking the trail near the beginning, while waiting for the trail to clear the washington crew walked up the trail with bars moving big ass rocks so bobby wouldn't scratch his new rig and complained that we weren't helping the washing crew did end up going further that day, and wanted to name it chicken wing.

i'm glad to see that the name turkey claw stuck, billy tried it in 05 on his rigs maiden voyage and broke a stock hummer cv at the very bottom.

here's a pic of our group at the bottom of the trail 11-22-07
Wow.......Alittle butt hurt are ya...
samota87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 05:02 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 110617
Cakewalk / Bullfrog

These are the workings of Mike Koher.

Here are some detail:

Bullfrog was built in 2008 and named after a Bullfrog rock formation.
BoulderBash was layed out in 2008. Granite Outcrop north of the cougar buttes.
Cakewalk was built in 2009, a derogitory name.
Do or Die built in late 2009.
Hammerdown was popularized in 2009.

The map

https://share.acrobat.com/adc/docume...9-8c06f25e7e2a

Last edited by Dustpark; 12-03-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Dustpark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 05:12 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 16270
Quote:
Originally Posted by samota87 View Post
Wow.......Alittle butt hurt are ya...
call it what you want, but don't clutter the thread. i was just giving the op what they wanted. go to the "canyon west of the lakebed" thread if you want to continue the drama.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #31 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 16111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCuzzz View Post

And the big question… Who was the first one up Back Door???
I can go back as far as '03. It looked untouched, but it's hard to tell on a rock slab. Anyone remember going up before that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

951-849-5911
Connect with us on:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biglar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #32 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16125
Thumbs up

Thanks Cuz for a great thread and awesome idea!

I am working on fixing the broken image links on the PBB thread you link to above, with the story of breaking Crowbar and Shaft. The first 2 posts are fixed. I will get to the rest as soon as I can.

Thanks again!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #33 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9868
I found FOH about 15 years ago. I am a "private pooper" and walked up the canyon while running Claw...anyhow, back then my bronco was on 35's and I knew it wasn't doable. Came back about 10 years later and opened it up. I was the first one up it, I think Wayes got every line (I was a pussy on one waterfall) and Wayes came up with the name. It wasn't opened up by Team FOH...only because I dont think I have ever been on the team. BUT, I will say Wayes and I almost took each other to the dirt to see who was going to get to be the first one to run it. Classic moment of 2 A-type personalities. OH and BTW...most of it was opened at night.
So, I get the credit for finding it and first to run it and Wayes gets the credit to be the first to pull every line and naming it. FOH "playground" is also Wayes's idea. (at the end of the trail there is a section of a bunch of rocks with a ton of fun lines).
I haven't been on it in awhile...I hear it is kind of gay with a bunch of bypasses . Maybe I will be on it on February 12th
jbcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #34 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglar View Post
I can go back as far as '03. It looked untouched, but it's hard to tell on a rock slab. Anyone remember going up before that?
That's right. Not even a tire spin mark. Unless the first driver was super smooth. The slab was super clean. But still, maybe not the first ones.

jp junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #35 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 7921
Common Mike. You and Chuck are the Daddys of the area. I remember you looking at topo maps all the time. Also it seems you were there every weekend, even sometimes by yourself swinging a sledge at 103 degree temps. You guys were the best group ever, Gabe (RIP), Fuzzy (RIP), Earl (RIP), etc... Learned most of our hard core 4 wheelin moves from you guys.

Julio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eezee View Post
Concerning the Victor Valley trails, Chuck Shaner is the only member to work on every single trail and every single work party. Sledgehammer and Fissure Mtn were first, then Aftershock which was completed in the summer of 1994. that's when I joined the club and we started Jackhammer October 1994.
Our purpose was to expand our annual event Fun In the Desert by adding a trail or two each year. Keep in mind, we had to build each trail so our customers had at least a chance of making the trail without much damage and of course almost everyone had 33s or 35s.

By 1995 our work parties had gotten much smaller with 3 to 5 guys about all that would show up and October 95 we started Sun Bonnet. We built Sun Bonnet itself first and later added Hell"s Gate and the slide. About the same time, I purchased a topo map of the Hartwell Hills and Chuck and I hiked all the possible canyons, cherry picking the best ones that would give us the most trail for the least work. Some of the canyons would have required a lot of work to get a Jeep on 33s and we never built them but since then others have run them and named them. After Sun Bonnet, we built four more, about then it was the year 2001, my kids were young teens and we started traveling baseball every weekend. Kids first. I'd like to add more later on the last four.
By the way, Chuck and I will be going out this Saturday Dec. 5th to repair Jackhammer's ridge. If you want to help fix the ridge, we'll be at the bottom around 8:30AM.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 86001
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansc33 View Post
I think SOS (sticky's on sixties?) was broken by EZ Rick and the Total Karnage crew at this years TB Jambo. I'm sure someone will chime in to confirm/deny that.
I know that 3 of us continued to run up after Turkey Claw the day after KOH 09. Everyone else pussed out and parked and watched us keep climbing looking for the next cool obstacle. Eventually 2 of us broke and had to turn around and headed back for another day. I later was told that some one called it SOS and that one of the 3 with his brother when about 200ft farther and broke. I'm not claming anything since I did not get to the end or make a loop but wanted to add to the story. I know for a fact we broke new ground after KOH as there was zero evidence of previous travelers. It was a blast and I can't wait to go back again to finish it.

Last edited by sacalas; 12-03-2009 at 02:04 PM.
sacalas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #37 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 16111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp junkie View Post
You guys were the best group ever, Gabe (RIP), Fuzzy (RIP), Earl (RIP), etc... Learned most of our hard core 4 wheelin moves from you guys.

Julio
Looks like building trails is a dangerous occupation.

951-849-5911
Connect with us on:

Old 12-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #38 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglar View Post
Looks like building trails is a dangerous occupation.
Nah. Just a bunch of retired guys enjoying their "golden" years.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #39 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
SOS stands for "sixties on stickies"
JR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 52911
Send a message via AIM to samota87
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2dude View Post
call it what you want, but don't clutter the thread. i was just giving the op what they wanted. go to the "canyon west of the lakebed" thread if you want to continue the drama.
No drama..... just stating the truth.Carry on.
samota87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 16270
Quote:
Originally Posted by samota87 View Post
No drama..... just stating the truth.Carry on.
the truth? no, you just want to get the last word you d-bag. what you stated was your opinion. i stated the truth...if you want to read some more about my opinion about what happened, you can search for the "canyon west of the lakebed" thread. carry on
Old 12-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 13974
"Martel would be all the way over the top, Not much of a hard core trail(pretty damn easy) But for the sake of applying a name with a place, Wayne gets the credit on name he was first in a car. That area has potential, so We'll be headed back there. Goatman had stars in his eyes.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxJeff Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #43 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 16111
I think Jon Nelson was actually the first in the group to make Back Door.

951-849-5911
Connect with us on:

Old 12-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #44 (permalink)
I'm back and watchin

Member # 43607
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansc33 View Post
I think SOS (sticky's on sixties?) was broken by EZ Rick and the Total Karnage crew at this years TB Jambo. I'm sure someone will chime in to confirm/deny that.
This is correct. Stickies on Sixties was found by Scott Ward and I. We tried to run it before KOH and I broke at the gate keeper. We then talked the Total Karnage boys into running it with us at the Bender Jambo. It took 12 hours, to get us through. But we made it.

Rick.
KOH racer #554

Huge thanks to our partners:

Trick Toys Fabrication, NITTO Tires, Longfield Super Joints, PSC steering components, Brian Smith
Easy Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 124566
Hammerdown Trail

Wanted to make couple of points. First. Wanted to give Mike Koher props for marking Bullfrog, and Cakewalk. Great trails to play on. We have spot just off bullfrog that is a real seat grabber. U might want to try it out.

Wanted to say Hammerdown trail. I spotted the potenial for that trail way back when Cal Roc's, and Pro Roc's were running events way back when. So two year back are group (Westcoast Crawlers)went into the canyon. At that time. The Rocks looked pretty clean. In 08 the trail started showing signs of Jeeps or Rockbuggys coming thru. This year looks like this trails on the map. Not long trail but has it moments. Fun to Run...

CW
cw91yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 145699
TTT

Added Double Up.

Anyone more info on new trails and old would be great.

Thanks,
DC
Old 11-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 69305
Note that "Eezee" is Mike Wickham.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 24269
Location: Way closer to the Hammers than you!!! Was Montrose, CO
Josh's Notch-
Started in Sept. 2006, completed May 2009, EW4C, Cougar Buttes:

34° 29.526'N
116° 49.299'W

Last edited by Hammer Hog; 11-30-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Hammer Hog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 145699
Updated first post, Thanks...
Old 01-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 347
I don't make it down to JV very often, and it is usually in a Subaru when I do to ride-along, camp, or cover... but i gotta say this is a most impressive thread, with a minimum of B.S., a maximum of information, and a modicum of respect both for the folks who have come before, as well as the folks who have come after... It sure is great to see such a wide-ranging group of 'wheelers working together like this.

Great work!

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in